Buyer opened a case stating item not as described as preowned silver necklace tarnished (photos)

Hello, I'm not a very experienced seller on ebay as I just use it every once and a while and I haven't had this happen before!

Last month I listed a pre-owned sterling silver necklace and a buyer from the UK wanted me to post it there, however I advised them I only post to the PayPal address listed on their account (theirs was in AUS and I only post to AUS anyway).  I had listed many photos of the item showing all sides of it, as many as possible, and had described the necklace as pre-owned but in good condition (it's sterling silver and was a bit tarnished that's all but I wouldn't say it was bad condition).    

I posted this at the beginning of October to an Australian address which should take 5-7 business days.  In the middle of October, I left for Africa meaning I was out of internet connection, however I gave enough time for the buyer to receive their item to the Australian address and contact me with any issues before I left and then I could reply to rectify any issues. 

On the 25th October (while I was in Africa) I received an email from the buyer stating "I received the necklace from Australia to the UK but the silver metal is marked and discoloured in alot of places on front and back.I request a partial refund so I can get it professionally cleaned".  

I was still in Africa and thus couldnt check or reply to this.  On the 30th October, I received a message from Ebay stating they had opened a case as I had not replied and the Ebay email said 'We've thoroughly investigated the case and found that the buyer should return the item to you because it’s not as described in the listing'.

However I got back from Africa yesterday and today is the cut off date for me to finalise this case otherwise it will be deemed in the buyers favour..

Can someone advise me what to do in this situation?

Can I make a counter case as I believe the item was exactly as described as per pictures and description?  

Does this mean that sterling silver needs to be professionally cleaned by a seller before we post it haha I'll post a link about how sterling silver naturally tarnishes all the time http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/Will-sterling-silver-tarnish-or-will-silver-turn-my-finger-green-/1000000...

The buyer is also wanting a partial refund to get it cleaned, which I don't agree with (it only needs a silver cloth.. ) and it seems that they are now asking to send the item back (since the buyer has posted it onwards to the UK whereas I only posted it to an address in Australia) is that allowed?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Buyer opened a case stating item not as described as preowned silver necklace tarnished (photos)

I would have.. it IS pretty awesome. lol

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

Re: Buyer opened a case stating item not as described as preowned silver necklace tarnished (photos)

I have spoken to ebay via email a lot now and once by phone and they said they are looking into it for me.  A full refund is the way to go and I keep offering that but the buyer ONLY wants a partial refund.  I contacted ebay and told them that and they said that since a case has been opened, we can't do a partial refund any way.  Will see how it goes! 

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

It really was... haha it must be a subconscious thing
Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

Ebay told me to contact the buyer and work out the full refund with them. They said also you can attempt to offer other solutions to them as well but ultimately you can work out ways to get them to post the item back to you. I'm happy with that outcome now, but they are not
Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

Might be worth ringing a couple of jewellers and ask what it it would roughly cost to ha a SS necklace cleaned that has some tarnish. If it's $10 or less maybe offer that as a partial refund. Just a thought!

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

Silver tarnishes eBay would be stupid to allow this claim

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

I agree, thank you!! The buyer is actually trying to scam me for a partial refund. I don't think they understand either that, since they opened a case against me, they aren't eligible for a partial refund and eBay has me follow the rules. All I can do is offer a full refund which they refused. They got quite angry at me and now eBay is seeking resolution from them as they can see that I'm doing the right thing and that the buyer is ot
Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

The buyer keeps asking for partial refund (only $20 but it's not the point, it's the principle of it now) but I could clean the thing myself for free at home. They've gone off at me, left me negative feedback and opened a case against me because I didnt reply in 5 days.. even though they took 20 days to get back to me with an issue after I posted the item.
Any way, after a case is opened, the buyer can only offer a full refund apparently as per eBays policies but the buyer won't understand that! haha
Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

I think there should be a much shorter cutoff time for not as described claims. 

If you have proof of delivery date it should be like many companies and be 24 hours or 3 days or something like that. Not 180 days or whatever it is now. Even the original 60 days was a bit much. Really how can it be acceptable today but then not as described a month or 2 later?

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

you have a point  lets   but a lot of people buy goods as a gift to someone , and if its packaged that you would have to break it to check it out, for instance new dvds   or a lot of things come in that vacumm pack plastic , 

maybe 30 days would be closer.

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply