Buyer wants a return after 25 days of using the item without an issue

Hi All,

I was wondering of what should I do with an item I sold to buyer with "Best offer" that I made to him, waited for 4 days until he paid, sent it and now he wants a return on the used laptop I sold to him. The laptop is 3 years old and was working perfectly. He stated that the laptop was turning on a few times and now it doesn't turn on at all. The things that conerned me most:

He opened a dispute straight without messaging me and asking if I can help.

The laptop has been delivered 25 days ago.

The buyer hadn't any purchases at that time, just freshly created account.

He didn't leave any feedback.

Fortunately, I recorded a video of showing that the laptop working and packing it well, as at the time when he paid, there had not been any name mentioned in the order details. I have asked his name to put it on the postage label but he didn't respond back for few days. So, I sent it with the label created in the eBay with the details included in the order.

I am not sure, how to properly handle this issue. Should I wait for eBay to step in and show them all evidence I have? Or just accept the return and forget about it? But I'm worried he might brake down the laptop, which had been worked perfectly.

Thanks,

Denis

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I think the buyer is going to do a bait and switch on you. 

Can you confirm that they actually opened a case or did they just write to you about it? I don't find your message 100% clear.

Assuming that the buyer has opened a case, you will need to accept the return or risk losing both laptop and money. What you can do is message the buyer and state that should the item not be the same as what was sent (ie: serial number) and in the same condition, Ebay will allow you to deduct money from the refund ie: issue a partial refund. This may be enough to put off a dodgy buyer.

Personally, I don't think that Ebay is the place to be selling these kinds of goods anymore. Too many scammers. I definitely would never have sold something high priced to someone with a fresh account.

Also, video and photographic evidence is useless. Ebay is very black and white in this regard when it comes to disputes.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

What evidence do you have that the laptop working - and packaged was the laptop sent.

This is the very grey area here.

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I would send them a label for a return.

Can't see you winning this one.

If you ask ebay to step in, they will automatically refund the buyer.

They get to keep the item and get a refund.

I notice you have a pic of the serial number.  Check the serial number to make sure it's the same one you sent.

Refund only when you have the item back.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

I think the buyer is going to do a bait and switch on you. 

Can you confirm that they actually opened a case or did they just write to you about it? I don't find your message 100% clear.

Assuming that the buyer has opened a case, you will need to accept the return or risk losing both laptop and money. What you can do is message the buyer and state that should the item not be the same as what was sent (ie: serial number) and in the same condition, Ebay will allow you to deduct money from the refund ie: issue a partial refund. This may be enough to put off a dodgy buyer.

Personally, I don't think that Ebay is the place to be selling these kinds of goods anymore. Too many scammers. I definitely would never have sold something high priced to someone with a fresh account.

Also, video and photographic evidence is useless. Ebay is very black and white in this regard when it comes to disputes.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

I have a video recording with showing the laptop is fully functional and then I packaged it well.

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

The thing is Mex - you are not able to prove the laptop seen working and packaged was actually the laptop posted.

Edited - to say - think about it.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

If I were you, I would do what Stawka suggested and make sure you get back YOUR laptop.

Sometimes, a problem with a laptop that does not turn on can be solved, and there are solutions online. 

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

@papermoon.lady wrote:

If I were you, I would do what Stawka suggested and make sure you get back YOUR laptop.

Sometimes, a problem with a laptop that does not turn on can be solved, and there are solutions online. 

Having difficulty with this one Paper - the laptop will not turn on - ' solutions online ' -  OK

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

laptop will not turn on - Google Search

It could be dead, but it is always worth trying some tricks, although I don't think the buyer wants to try them, and something could definitely be faulty, but the laptop not dead. Maybe the OP can try them when he gets his laptop back.

I did solve many problems with a simple "hard restart" for example.

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Sometimes it could even be something as simple as the power adapter not being properly connected. Once I noticed that the battery level of my laptop was going down and I noticed that the part connecting the cable from the laptop into the adapter was not completely in (it can happen if you move the laptop and the power adapter around for example).

In such cases of course the battery is then completely drained and if the power adapter is not properly connected it won't charge and the laptop won't turn on...

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply