Buyer wants a return after 25 days of using the item without an issue

Hi All,

I was wondering of what should I do with an item I sold to buyer with "Best offer" that I made to him, waited for 4 days until he paid, sent it and now he wants a return on the used laptop I sold to him. The laptop is 3 years old and was working perfectly. He stated that the laptop was turning on a few times and now it doesn't turn on at all. The things that conerned me most:

He opened a dispute straight without messaging me and asking if I can help.

The laptop has been delivered 25 days ago.

The buyer hadn't any purchases at that time, just freshly created account.

He didn't leave any feedback.

Fortunately, I recorded a video of showing that the laptop working and packing it well, as at the time when he paid, there had not been any name mentioned in the order details. I have asked his name to put it on the postage label but he didn't respond back for few days. So, I sent it with the label created in the eBay with the details included in the order.

I am not sure, how to properly handle this issue. Should I wait for eBay to step in and show them all evidence I have? Or just accept the return and forget about it? But I'm worried he might brake down the laptop, which had been worked perfectly.

Thanks,

Denis

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Hi All,
Thank you for your suggestions.
I know how to fix the laptops, and I already sent 4 messages to the buyer of all the possible methods to try to get it alive. He didn't respond to any of them. Then I initiated the return and sent him an eBay postage label. Since that time, I can't see any movements with the parcel. Seems he's just ignoring me and not sending the item back. Well, he still has 4 weeks to dispatch the laptop. Wondering what will happen next.

Thanks,
Denis

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

I would not communicate any further with this buyer. Just let it play out. You've sent the label and cannot do any more since the buyer looks to be trying to scam you.

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

What is the buyer's feedback left for others like?

Certainly sounds to me like a very questionable individual looking to score a freebie

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

So far, he has 7 positive feedback from the other sellers.

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

He will, as buyer can only be given positive feedback

But, his feedback left for others (the sellers) is worth a look

Often these kinds of buyers will leave the majority of sellers feedback indicating there was an 'issue') 

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

Just checked that, he didn't leave any feedback to anyone yet.

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

Why eBay's policy is so disappointing?

That means, when I sold anything on ebay, I have to keep that money available for 2.5 months. First, 30 days while the buyer can return the item. Second, while I'm waiting for him to send the item back, which is another 35 days. That's just frustrating. 😞

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

Brace your self.

PayPal offer 180 buyer protection & some credit providers even longer.

I don't understand why you are having to wait 35 days for the buyer to return the item.

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

I agree @repent - I thought buyers had to send back within 10 days of acceptance by the seller.

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

Good news!
I have contacted eBay support and they closed this case. The problem was that I have agreed on return 10 Apr and eBay gave "sufficient" time for the buyer to send the item back until 12 May (!).
After 3 weeks of seeing that the item hadn't been sent back, I reached out to eBay asking if we can close this request earlier than 12 May, as it looks ridiculous. They hadn't agreed at first, saying "please read our policy, blah blah". After a few hours they sent me an email saying that my case has been "escalated" and closed in my favour. Woohoo!
I'm still wondered, what the buyer was pursued of? What was his reason of doing that return at all? I assume it was a scam try, but how I could action to get myself in a trap? Just to avoid this kind of actions in the future.

Thank you all!

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply