Buyer wants refund because customs took to long

So long story short, buyer paid immediately, I posted the next day.

Item (camera) arrives in France within the 5 day delivery window auto generated by the eBay auction - this I know because of the tracking details. 

But the buyer never recieves the camera...both of us do some digging. 

Turns out customs was holding the camera the whole time because they needed an invoice to assess the correct value. 

I never stated a delivery time in the auction, camera arrived in France in time, obviously the hold up is customs, which is outside of my control. As soon as this was identified, I emailed through an invoice to the customs email address he provided. 

Buyer is insisting on a refund (through an open case) because he didn't recieve the camera in the time he thought he should. (He still doesn't have it as he hasn't paid the customs fee). 

Can eBay/Paypal make me refund (forcibly return his money) because he changed his mind?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Buyer wants refund because customs took to long

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Under ebay's policies, the buyer is responsible for all customs duties for

their country.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/international-shipping-rules.html

Have you uploaded the tracking info for ebay to assess?  If the buyer is refusing to collect because of customs fees, then it should close in your favour.

But I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Someone else may have better knowledge on this one.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Sure have! Uploaded the first time he questioned if I knew why it hadn't arrived.

And the tracking is connected to the listing.
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Did you upload the tracking number onto the case itself. If not then do that because the case bots won't recognise it if it's only on the original order transaction, and you may lose because of that.
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks for that tip! Yes, just uploaded now the tracking number officially to the case, as well as proof the camera is in customs where I said it was. 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

It won't make any difference, ebay will find a way to find in favour of the buyer.  The buyer is god on ebay!

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

I ended up ringing eBay. They agreed with me and tried to transfer me France, but the call failed. I will try again tomorrow.
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply