Buyer was not charged postage

I'm really confused as to why this has happened but I just sold an item that was listed with an extra $15 postage cost however the buyer was not charged postage and was processed with free postage. Even when I go to sell similar, it says $15 postage cost. I have reached out to the buyer but am waiting for a response. Has this ever happened to anyone before? Any advice/help would be much appreciated. 

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Buyer was not charged postage

@gutterpunkz05 wrote:

If I use sell it myself, it also shows $15 postage,  so can only assume that was the original listing details, prior to the Feb revision.

I tried it and it came up with $10.00 on one account and $12 and $2 for each additional on another.   It is picking up some of my postage settings not theirs.

I suspect they think, or wish they had $15, but in reality had free.

Edit... I tried it on one of their free postage ones, and it came up with the $10 and $12 for each additional,  it picks up our default,  Thats why when they try it,  they get $15 as well

Message 21 of 30
Latest reply

@anttrova-50 wrote:

Thank you all for the responses. Did a bit more digging into eBay Plus and have another question. They offer free express postage but mine was listed was standard. Would I need to ship through Express post?

I don't know but I looked up the finished listing.

For me, it is not only showing as free postage, but free 3 day postage.

I am in Vic too so maybe that's why, I don't know.

I'd be pretty sure though that your buyer bought with it showing as free post so it isn't going to be much use reaching out to them. Your extra charge would almost double the cost of the item for them.

If I were the seller, I would just send standard postage. Others here have said it isn't showing as an ebay plus listed item.

ebay screen.png

Message 22 of 30
Latest reply

Do not send it express unless you want to lose more money! As others have said this is not an eBay plus item so the free upgade to express does not apply in this case.

I would hope that ebay would notify you as to the type of postage selected!! If it's not saying express ( and i see standatd parcel) don't use express.

Under postage you have-

Postage and handling Each additional item To Service Delivery*See delivery notes

Free postage Australia Standard postage (Australia Post Standard Parcel) Free 3 day postage Get it between Mon, 15 Apr and Tue, 16 Apr to 4350

Free local pickup Free Australia Local Pickup  

Message 23 of 30
Latest reply

The listing started with free postage, then the postage terms were revised ($15.00), along with the buy it now price which was lowered. Then I had a sale price on the item, but the postage was not changed. 

Message 24 of 30
Latest reply

Wouldn't it qualify for standard postage under eBay Plus as the buyer is not in a metro area, as opposed to if the buyer lived in a metro area, they would get express?

Message 25 of 30
Latest reply

If it were an ebay plus item the buyer would get an upgrade on shipping (free standard for non metro, free express for metro) if and only if it is an ebay plus item! in the case of plus items,Ebay should notify you as to the type of shipping and contribute toward the cost.

This item is not listed as an ebay plus item so everyone gets the same shipping for the same price. Your item was listed as free standard for everyone.

Message 26 of 30
Latest reply

"So ebay plus members do not get free post, unless it is offered by the seller, and it has been that way ever since ebay plus was introduced."

This is not technically correct. Originally, it was free post but some sellers abused it and the terms were changed very quickly to exclude them. After roughly a year (I think) it changed from free post to express for items that qualified. Some items from some of my competitors still appear to be free post for ebay plus but I'm not sure how. I still get requests from ebay plus members asking for the "free post they are entitled to".

Message 27 of 30
Latest reply

I think it was because of the eBay plus membership the buyer had. But how would have the listing qualified in the first place as I don't accept returns and do not have a 1 day handling time? Doesn't make sense.

Message 28 of 30
Latest reply

That listing is not an ebay plus listing, so whether the buyer is an ebay plus subscriber or not is not really relevant to the issue.  Numerous people on these boards who are not plus members have looked at the listing and told you that they see free postage .

I know you say you listed it with $15 postage but are you sure you didn't inadvertently click on something. I think it was Dave that showed a possible error.

Message 29 of 30
Latest reply

When ebay plus was introduced, I looked into joining and went through all the Terms and Conditions, and found that the big attraction of free postage for buyers, that was being pushed, was a big furphy as it only applied to items where the seller was already offering  free postage, so there was no benefit, and that is still the case regarding postage.  Ebay plus members are now also entitled to a free upgrade to express postage if certain requirements are met, and ebay now pays the seller  a small fee for the  upgrade, from memory $2 for  items under $15   and  $4 for items over $15.

Plenty of members blindly jumped into ebay plus, originally believing it was giving them postage savings, there were plenty of them came  to the boards when they realized they had been duped.

Message 30 of 30
Latest reply