Buyers now have to pay individually for each item, no more combining invoices :(

No joke, it was apparently trialled from 17th May til 26th June and is now being implemented on all ebay sales. Some will still have the old checkout until it is fully implemented.

Buyers have no option to pay later, it is apparently to stop non paying buyers. But it is affecting sales big time. I've been on ebay for over 12 years and I was totally confused when I attempted to purchase 17 items from 1 seller, seller was happy to combine postage. But when I attempted to buy the items I found I had no choice but to pay for each item individually, so I didn't buy them. So how confused will new ebay shoppers be.

At the same time I had a buyer wanting to combine items from my ebay store and was having the same issue. So I phoned ebay about it, at first the ebay rep thought we were pressing the wrong buttons and eventually she informed me that this will be how the new checkout will be for everyone. The buyer has to pay individually including postage costs, if they don't pay there is no sale. The seller can then refund the overpaid postage and then the seller has to contact ebay for a credit on the fees for the overpaid/credited postage.  

This sounds very complicated and it turned me off buying the 17 items I wanted to purchase, so how many other buyers are turning away because they don't like or don't understand the new checkout system.

Try it if you don't believe me, click on buy it now and you will see it takes you directly to the ebay checkout, there is no longer a COMMIT To BUY button, you either pay or there is no sale. It's to stop the non-paying buyers, but what about the buyers who want to buy lots of items and don't want to have to pay all those individual postage costs in the hope that the seller will refund the overpaid postage. 

Hoping ALL buyers & Sellers that aren't happy with this new system will contact ebay to voice their opinions. I think it's promoting off ebay sales, buy 1 item contact the seller or buyer and do the rest of the deal another way. Not that I'm promoting off-ebay sales, but if I thought of it I guess all others will too. 

Hoping Ebay will see some sense and revert back to the old checkout system. Maybe bring back the ability to NEG non-paying bidders to get rid of the time-wasters rather than fiddle with a system that has worked for over a decade.

No doubt there will be some that think this is a good idea, but if you actually try it as a buyer you will see how fumbled it is. On-line shopping should be as stream-lined as possible, having to pay and then wait for a refund is definitely not stream-lined.

Message 1 of 71
Latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Buyers now have to pay individually for each item, no more combining invoices :(

So is there an easy way to tell buyers how to do this, in the listings?

Message 31 of 71
Latest reply

So lyndal and other buyers - is it true that this is now the case - that ebay is combining invoices without giving us the opportunity to combine p&h? TIA

Message 32 of 71
Latest reply

@merfar2107 wrote:

So lyndal and other buyers - is it true that this is now the case - that ebay is combining invoices without giving us the opportunity to combine p&h? TIA

It depends on whose experience you want to go by.

I have had no problems putting items in my Cart and having them combined, either automatically or on request to the seller.  Obviously other are having a different experience.  I know I am not a liar but knowing how different members have different experiences on ebay I am not prepared to say that others are lying either.

I am sitting on the (neutral) fence on this one for now.Smiley LOL

Message 33 of 71
Latest reply

@ozstockman wrote:

It is not completelly true. I bought 6 items 2 days ago and requested total from a seller. You can still do it, not as easy as before but it can be done. This is how you need to do it. Purchase each item using buy it now, confirm on the next page and  stop on the page where it says "commit and pay". After you finish doing it with your last item go to my ebay->Purchase history and you will see "Request total from this saller" link above all purchased items. Click it, add a message  to a seller if you want and click "Sumbit Request" button.

That's what I was getting at.... with my listings it's not possible to Commit to Buy any longer.  What you describe is the old way that doesn't work anymore (for me)

Pressing *Buy It Now* takes me straight to checkout for instant payment.

The only way around this is to pile everything into the cart.

Once you press Request total from seller you have commited to buy the items.

I don't know if it's my Buying account that is set to go to instant payment for purchases, or if my selling accounts are what has changed.  If someone wants to have a go and see what happens on one of my listings when you press Buy It Now and let me know, would be much appreciated (either you will go to Checkout or the Commit to Buy page, either way there is another step before purchasing so I'm not being tricksy)

Message 34 of 71
Latest reply

Okay, I'm a bit confused, I think.

My understanding is (and please, someone correct me if I'm wrong):

1. "Buy it now" process

"Buy it now" old process: 1. click "buy it now" 2. "commit to buy" and 3. "checkout" (or "request total")

"Buy it now" new process: 1. click "buy it now" 2. "checkout" (no "commit to buy", and no option to "request total")

2. Shopping Cart

Shopping cart process 1. click "add to cart" 2. click "continue shopping" to keep adding items, or "request total" when finished

^ Has the shopping cart changed for anyone? Because it defeats the purpose of a shopping cart if they're going to make people pay for shopping cart items individually.

As of now, my shopping cart is still working as stated above.

Message 35 of 71
Latest reply

The shopping cart hasn't changed.  It's just that not all buyers know how to use it and use the instant checkout option instead.  

By putting things in the cart you haven't secured the item(s) like you do with Commit to Buy, so you risk losing items in your cart if you're not ready to purchase (like you're waiting for an auction to end to combine with that purchase, for instance).  

I've been wondering if all the vouchers over the last couple of months have had the underlying purpose of teaching people how to use the cart - it's the only way to buy from different sellers with the same voucher.  Coincidence?

Message 36 of 71
Latest reply

@merfar2107 wrote:

So is there an easy way to tell buyers how to do this, in the listings?

I guess there is no easy way apart from explaining them all steps. All thanks goes to eBay for that.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 37 of 71
Latest reply

@everard6920 wrote:

Okay, I'm a bit confused, I think.

My understanding is (and please, someone correct me if I'm wrong):

1. "Buy it now" process

"Buy it now" old process: 1. click "buy it now" 2. "commit to buy" and 3. "checkout" (or "request total")

"Buy it now" new process: 1. click "buy it now" 2. "checkout" (no "commit to buy", and no option to "request total")

2. Shopping Cart

Shopping cart process 1. click "add to cart" 2. click "continue shopping" to keep adding items, or "request total" when finished

^ Has the shopping cart changed for anyone? Because it defeats the purpose of a shopping cart if they're going to make people pay for shopping cart items individually.

As of now, my shopping cart is still working as stated above.

I cannot say anything about their cart as from the beginning there was no option to request total and that's the reason why I have never used it. It may be there after you add all items to your cart and then commit to buy but only a silly person would try to do it to see if it is there, I have called eBay about that telling them that their shopping cart looks like a joke because people is forced to pay more than they should and a support person sounded puzzled when she could not find this option for the cart. As usual she promissed to report but I would never believe to such a promises from them. 

However with BIN items, the new way you have described may have something to do with a seller setting up an item as Required immediate payment or a buyer has a checkbox somewhere in their setting to use a quick checkout.

It is harder to do now vs how it was before but it is still there. I do not have any extra privilges on eBay for  that and this option is availble for me through purchase history so it should be avaible for everybody. Unless it is all done through some mobile app that is build so bad that exclude some standard actions on eBay that buyers can do using ebay through a web browser,

Message 38 of 71
Latest reply

If people read the link on the previous page you'll see that this is something that will eventually apply to all sellers, but as yet they haven't rolled it out fully and it only applies to some sellers. I'm hoping they wake up to themselves long before they've applied it to all sellers!
Message 39 of 71
Latest reply

brerrabbit585 wrote:
If people read the link on the previous page you'll see that this is something that will eventually apply to all sellers, but as yet they haven't rolled it out fully and it only applies to some sellers. I'm hoping they wake up to themselves long before they've applied it to all sellers!

I did not see that link. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. If that's true then may be it works for me because my seller still offers Bank deposit as a payment method.

However I have noticed recently that some of my buyers cannot purchase my items as instructed by me and they pay anyway when I ask them not to pay and wait for their invoice to be updated. All of them replied that they could not do it and were sent to paying straight away by eBay and they did not even see they paid. It is kind of strange because I do offer bank deposit. All this leads to extra work for me as I have to create internal orders off eBay so my buyers can pay remaining balances. The only thing is good here is that eBay is loosing their fees on these extra remaining balance payments but they totally deserve it as they have created all this mess.

Lets see how it will roll out. If it does that will be last drop for me as being a business that provides custom services I won't be able to operate on ebay. I have already lost 60-70% of sales on eBay with all their stupid changes but it is still worth to sell as long as I can adjust buyers invoices, If I cannot do it there is no reason for me to keep selling here.

Amazon is already in Australia and it seems they will allow to sell on their Australian version soon. If it allows to use my bank payment gateway I will kill two pests(ebay and Paypal) in one shot and I will never use them again. If they do not I will get rid of a least one pest -eBay.

Message 40 of 71
Latest reply