Buyers paying less in shipping cost then me all of a sudden?

Hey everyone, Ive been selling on ebay for a few years now and though it has been mostly good selling items on ebay, the last few sales Ive made, have been very frustrating to say the least. My issue is with the postage costs payments differ between me the seller and a buyer. In the last few weeks I have found that  buyers for me at least recently have been paying the bare minium in terms of calculated postage costs compared to me where I have been paying almost double and even triple what I buyer initially paid after winning one of my auctions.

For example, I sold an portable potty for $1 and the buyer payed $11.20 for a grand total of $12.20 to me, when I went to purchase the shipping label, i was hit with a $20 shipping cost. **bleep**? and because the buyer was using a PO box address I had no choice but to pay for the $20 postage fee and lose $8 on an item i was better off not selling at all.

Then I sold another item for $50 this time a thermo fan, the buyer paid $16 postage, I had to pay $32 postage on my end. WHAT THE HELL, i cant win I may as well give up, its just not worth selling things on ebay at this rate.

My assumption is in the first example the buyer paided the price for an ebay (sendle) postage cost but because they have a PO Box address i have to use auspost to ship the item to them and so I have to pay the auspost shipping cost but why is the system allowing the buyer to choose which postage to pay for? shouldnt the system calculate the correct postage cost based on their address details and charge the buyer from there taking into account sendle dont ship to PO boxes. it makes no sense

I cant really example the second example as I roughly estimated the size of the box and over did the weight but no amount of readjustment changed my situation which means the buyer is in one of sendles heavy tax areas and so i paid triple the postage cost. any ideas as to what the hell is going on with these situations?

The only solution I can think of is to max out all of the measurements (LxHxW) on my auctions regardless of if the item is tiny or big  but when i tested the theroy on one of my current auctions using the postcode for one of the buyers location in the above examples it said he would have to pay about $32 dollars in postage for that item, so why did he not have to pay that in the auction he won already, he paid $16 so even if i did make max out the measurements the buyer still might not need to pay the correct amount. Im so lost with this I just cant eplain it at all.

please I need help or suggestions to solve this problem, because ilm really losing instead of making money selling on ebay and its just bull**bleep**.

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Buyers paying less in shipping cost then me all of a sudden?

Wow people are so critical of my listings because of this thread, i mean imagine if you could sell 2 items for the price of one when they didnt cost you anything to being with. I dont understand why everyone is complaining about my listings you may not want to buy it doesnt mean someone else wont, i only just listed that item last night it hasnt even had time to get a good viewing. After a week ill take out the broken item and make you happy imastawka. Gees noone is answer my **bleep**ing original question if you dont have any thing nice to add then dont comment on this thread. I know this is public but god i havent bothered to check out anyone elses listing its none of my business what you sell.

Message 11 of 32
Latest reply

Calm down.

I took a look at your floral teapot x 2.

As far as I could see - 2 boxes - do they even contain a teapot.

More work - better sales.

Message 12 of 32
Latest reply

I don,t care if you lose money or not, but you really have to understand exactly what your costs are.

As for your original question  on postage, you need to measure and weigh your items precisely, before listing,

Australia Post has clamped right down on estimates and incorrect details, your parcels will now,most likely, pass through auto measuring devices at some point in transit.

If you wish to use calculated postage, then you need to build into your item price 13.4% of postage cost, + the cost of all packaging and any handling costs.

Frankly,  you would be better off putting a $1 item on the sidewalk with a FREE sign

Message 13 of 32
Latest reply

When you post on a public board, you are likely to garner views on your listings. The "none of [your] business" line does not make sense... Human nature is human nature, and that is why some people will use "posting IDs" to post on the boards if they don't want any of their buying or selling activity to come under casual scrutiny.

I am a buyer on eBay; I don't sell here. I won't claim that my views are representative of every buyer or even of most buyers. I haven't looked at your listings before, but in order to be able to comment more appropriately on this thread, I'm doing so now.

Hmm. I'm with imastawka on the teapot. There is nothing I want less than a vintage-styled teapot with a broken spout. That is damage that affects the functionality of the item. How well does a teapot pour if it has a broken spout? Not well enough, not by a long shot, and it looks awful. I'd only accept damage of such sort in an antique item older than 200 years, and only if the item were very rare. Even then... broken spout? Hmm. That is my perspective - as a buyer.

The game guides - prices seem fine. Hopefully you'll get some buyers for those.

The dual-core processor - price at $10 is not too bad, but it's the postage that will turn buyers away. Are you able to use an AP satchel? (Didn't davewil suggest that?)

I think the radiator is priced too high, and postage seems unrealistically low. (I may be wrong; that's an initial quick assessment.)

The thing about which you complained in the opening post - postage cost - is down to your making sure that you know the postage cost at the time of listing. It's up to you to make sure that you have the correct price. I do not personally have any historical reason to be anti-Sendle, but my residence is in an area that is served extremely well with deliveries. Other people have mentioned nothing but issue after issue with Sendle-brokered couriers. Why not offer both options in your listings? AP and Sendle, with the buyer to choose? ... and for your own sake, know the postage price. eBay is notorious for not always rendering correct postage prices, so it is your responsibility to ensure that the price shown to the buyer is what YOU will be charged when the item is handed over to AP or courier.

Message 14 of 32
Latest reply

Can i have this thread deleted please there is nothing further to gain from this thread and i will no longer response anyone elses judgements and peoples inability to understand my situation where i paid more for an item that i precising measured and yet they paid less then me. Thats it im done.

Message 15 of 32
Latest reply

You don't seem to understand , that buyers can only select postage costs and carriers that you offer, at cost  you specify, or that is calculated by data you enter.

Message 16 of 32
Latest reply

sorry that you see no value in the responses given here. Many of them aimed to save you money through easily implemented straight forward measures.  In hindsight, I'm sorry I bothered!  It won't happen again.  Cheers.

Message 17 of 32
Latest reply

I thought I addressed the problem of postage costs.

Some people can't be helped.

Message 18 of 32
Latest reply

https://i.postimg.cc/MH8n0JS7/Screenshot-20230212-212503-e-Bay.jpg 

This cost me $32 to ship from melbourne 3064 to nsw 2528 to the customer above (pictured) address with the following packaging dimensions;

3.7kg 62cm x 41cm x 32cm

Item sold at $50. Buyer paid $66 in total for the item including shipping.

Customer had both shipping options for ebay labels and auspost to choose from in my auction listing

I oversized the box and weight measurements slightly in my postage calculator estimate to a standard 5kg option and then once i had boxed up the item during the label purchasing screen, i readjusted my measurements to be exactly the above dimensions of package for the item to ship to the customer.

Customer also asked me, after he had won the auction, if i could ship using auspost express postage services which when i looked it up for him was going to be nearly $80 though auspost express shipping using their online calcultor to the buyers address in nsw 2528 which both he and i agreed was too exprensive of a shipping cost to use.

I sent the packaging through ebay labels (sendle) at a cost of $32.45 but both auspost and sendle had simiular prices of $32 to his address during the label purchasing screen so i had no option available to match the $16 postage price he was able to pay.

Message 19 of 32
Latest reply

Maybe the problem was you customised the packaging instead of using AusPost packaging?

Using your own packaging will always cost more as far as I'm aware.

Someone will tell me if I'm off the mark.

And never use Sendle - it will get you a neg.

Message 20 of 32
Latest reply