Can I sell plants with soil?

I'm fairly new to selling on eBay and have sold a few of my personal stock to clear the place up a bit.

I have purchased various plants on eBay and they always come bare-rooted with no soil. But I notice some people say they sell plants with pots. There is no mention of whether they come with soil or not and I haven't actually bought any of these plants.

I'm in QLD and looking up the eBay seed and plant policy, it's a bit ambiguous.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

https://auspost.com.au/content/dam/auspost_corp/media/documents/dangerous-and-prohibited-goods-guide...

You need to check each destination.

In most cases Soil is not allowed, due to quarantine.  In some cases a permit is required.

You may also require a permit to post plant or nursery materials

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Ok, I didn't want to sell plants with soil but wondered how others are doing it if there appear to be qurantine restrictions. 

I'm selling Bromeliads and possibly some other tropical plants and looking on the QLD gov website I can't see any restrictions applied to the type I will be selling. It appears to be mainly fruit and veg. 

And on the Aus post link you sent, it says yes for foliage, which I assume they are, since the plant is just leaves. I might have to make some calls, as i don't see anything about it on the various sites I've searched.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

Perhaps they have permits in place, certified growers etc.

Perhaps they dont care or bother to make themselves aware of restrictions.  A Tasmanian woman is currently in gaol  (3 years I Think), for importing garlic bulbs.   Note she was a frequent offender and was well aware of her obligations.

Your plants could also come under  House /  Plants & Cuttings  or  Plant Nursery stock

Interestingly, from previous link      All cut flowers and foliage to  WA  is prohibited,   yet  Garden / House / Pot Plants can be sent if you have a permit.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The main question you need to ask is what states you cannot sell to.

Most plant sellers have a blanket ban on selling to any state that has any sort of restrictions on receiving plant matter of any sort.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

If you start having items confiscated, rather than delivered, you will quickly earn the wrath of ebay.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

don’t be surprised if this comes up in the news in coming months due to African swine flu.  If it happens to reach Australia (most likely through NT) then movement of soil from one state to another might be strongly discouraged or banned.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-04/african-swine-fever-explainer-pigs-pork-prices-australia/1157...

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

South Australia is very touchy about what comes across the border. When we had a garden nursery, we where advised by staff at the border check point that potted plants with soil where not allowed without a permit. S.A has a number of fruit regeons that are Fruit Fly Free and & areas of vines that are Phyloxera free.  I believe Phyloxera is a soil born pest / aphid type disease.

Just on the Fruit Fly thing, it is worth noting if travelling to SA that the government has introduced a zero tolerance to fruit coming across the border. If you drive up to a random checking station and declare that you have a couple of apples you forgot to eat, it is an instant $300 + fine, no questions asked. If you dont declare the apples and the staff find them, it can be worse.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

I notice that on any of the sellers I have bought from, they say we don't post to WA, NT or TAS due to quarantine restrictions. They obviously know something I don't, or they have just copied others. But I can't find why these particular states are different.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

I don't know about NT, but WA and Tas are free from a lot of pests and diseases that are present in other states. Therefore, you aren't allowed to post to those regions. They can post out, but people can't post in unless it's from someone with a permit, that has been certified disease and pest free.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply