Can i offer free samples in my ebay listing?

We are launching a new product and would like to offer free samples. Is there any way that we can do this within our listing. Also does anyone know how to put text overlay on an ebay listing photograph?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Don't think you can offer free samples.  Unsure.  Someone else may know.

But as for text on photos - it's against policy

Not allowedNot allowed

• Using placeholder images used to convey messages, such as no image available, out of stock, or other marketing messages
  • Adding borders to your photos
  • Using stock photos for used, damaged or defective items
  • Adding additional text, artwork or marketing to photos
  • Including photos that don't accurately represent the item
  • Listing an item without at least one photo
  • Using a picture that is less than 500 pixels on the longest side
  • Including watermarks

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/listing-policies/picture-policy?id=4370&st=3&pos=6&query=Pictu...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

There's no way to make something free on eBay, because you can't invite people to provide contact details without a sale (if you do, you'd be suspended from selling pretty quick - it won't matter to eBay that you were trying to give away samples.

Auction listings have to have  minimum start price of 1c, and BIN listings $1, but by creating a sale on eBay you're incurring fees you'd likely rather not when wanting to give things away, so your best bet is an $X listing that just covers your fees. 

I'd be more inclined to use it as a marketing tool - give it away, but advertise it as a bonus with purchase of another product. 

Eg  you could create a listing for a regular product and just say + bonus samples of X product, possibly increasing the quantity of samples per $ spend. Or, make up a selection of different samples if you have the range - with the right kind of presentation it could be a nice Christmas gift. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Not allowedNot allowed

• Using placeholder images used to convey messages, such as no image available, out of stock, or other marketing messages
  • Including watermarks

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/listing-policies/picture-policy?id=4370&st=3&pos=6&query=Pictu...

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Use a third party software to put watermarks then upload the pics. (Only for preventing usage of pics by others)

Giveaways - https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/chance-listings-policy?id=4311

image host
Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Well I see the policy now includes restriction of watermarks.

eBay used to have their own watermarking software but discontinued it and I was under the impression one could use ones own watermarks still. 

Makes little sense when sellers have AP logos, Aust flags, brand names and all sorts of other overlays in pics.

Many sellers do not want others using their pics and still have watermarks.

Perhaps it's an eBay software issue and in that case you could have the text you require with the product before it's photographed.

That's how I would mark my pics I didn't want others to use. Physically have ID name on the items before I took the pic.

Surely eBay couldn't decide on the photo content in that manner.

image host
Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Ganbarou. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

I think the only way you could do it would be to do a 1c listing with free postage. Even then, you would have to foot the cost of the actual postage and possibly get nothing in return. Why not just advertise your new product and see how it goes? Maybe advertise it "on special" for 2 months before it goes to regular price? Make a point of saying the low price is for 2 months only, then the price will go to normal.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

There's no way to make something free on eBay, because you can't invite people to provide contact details without a sale (if you do, you'd be suspended from selling pretty quick - it won't matter to eBay that you were trying to give away samples.

Auction listings have to have  minimum start price of 1c, and BIN listings $1, but by creating a sale on eBay you're incurring fees you'd likely rather not when wanting to give things away, so your best bet is an $X listing that just covers your fees. 

I'd be more inclined to use it as a marketing tool - give it away, but advertise it as a bonus with purchase of another product. 

Eg  you could create a listing for a regular product and just say + bonus samples of X product, possibly increasing the quantity of samples per $ spend. Or, make up a selection of different samples if you have the range - with the right kind of presentation it could be a nice Christmas gift. 

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Not allowedNot allowed

• Including watermarks

The bolded policy really annoys me, because I feel like there are legitimate reasons to put text in photos. I sell items with various components and I use text to label those components (granted, not in the main photo). The whole reason I started doing this was because of all the questions about what was what (despite the information being specified in the description).

I agree that all of those little Australian flags are a bit irritating, but sellers only started doing that because eBay refused to do anything about sellers misrepresenting their locations.

I also feel that small watermarks should be permitted (say, covering no more than 10% of the photo, or something). I know a lot of sellers go to great lengths to provide good quality, original photos, and there's nothing more frustrating than finding that other sellers have stolen them.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Did sellers lose the rights to watermark photos at about the same time as ebay changed their user agreement to allow ebay to use any sellers photos in its stock photo library ?

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Well, just some more ‘seller restrictive’ policy from eBay. Grrrrr!!

I’m pleased I read this. I was about to include a particular pic of ours that acts as a background for a highlighted item in an oval, on special, with a small amount of text. I see plenty of others doing very similar things, and some quite artistically and tastefully.  Had no reason to believe it was against policy. Why should it be - it can be effective marketing.

But, why am I not surprised? How disappointing.

Melina.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply