Can you provide video evidence that you've posted an item?

Some of the items I sell are posted without tracking. If I record on video me putting the item in the envelope (with the correct recipient shown on the front), sealing the envelope, and then posting the envelope (again, showing the recipient's address on the front), can the footage be used as proof of postage if a buyer claims that they didn't receive it?

Has anyone else tried this?

In an ideal world I'd send everything with tracking... but the extra postage cost would make the sale of these items unviable.

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

@amcamari wrote:

Some of the items I sell are posted without tracking. If I record on video me putting the item in the envelope (with the correct recipient shown on the front), sealing the envelope, and then posting the envelope (again, showing the recipient's address on the front), can the footage be used as proof of postage if a buyer claims that they didn't receive it?

Has anyone else tried this?

In an ideal world I'd send everything with tracking... but the extra postage cost would make the sale of these items unviable.

amcam, I can see that may help you showing that it was posted, but I would have my doubts as to helping you prove that it has been recieved. if the buyer says, "I still haven't recieved my item", then what ??    Lets see what others say 

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

No, it wouldn't be proof that the item was received, but in such a situation, if the seller can show proof that they posted the item, surely that would absolve them of responsibility if the item doesn't reach its intended destination.

The finger of blame would then be squarely pointed at the carrier

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

No. Tracking is required.. it also shows item was delivered (or not!).

if the seller can show proof that they posted the item, surely that would absolve them of responsibility if the item doesn't reach its intended destination.

No, not at all. Seller is responsible, no tracking.... they must refund if item is not received. Can't blame it on the Postal Service either when there is no tracking.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

Interesting question. I'd probably agree with am*3 and horizon in that proof of receiving the goods is all that eBay would care about... however, a video (if you were somehow able to send it) might calm down an antsy buyer who is fretting over the fact that their package hasn't arrived yet.

That said, is there any way for you to prove the DATE on which the video footage was shot? Unless you sent the buyer the video straight away, they could just as easily claim that you only shot the video AFTER they inquired about the item's whereabouts.

I don't know. It's an amusing question. I know some on these message boards take photos of items as they hand them over the counter at Australia Post, and I guess a video wouldn't be THAT different.

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

Thankfully I haven't had a parcel not arrive yet... but was wondering if this idea was worth pursuing "just in case". I currently have a buyer with zero feedback, a username made up of 15 (seemingly) random characters, and a name the same as someone semi-famous. Posting something to them tomorrow and feeling a little uncertain!

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

Well, I think a lot of it comes down to a question of what you are worried about. I assume we are talking about the $10 lego necklace (looks quite nifty, btw).

Are you:

a) Worried that the buyer is trying to scam you; or

b) Worried that the buyer will claim Item Not Received before giving it ample time to arrive?

If the answer is (a), I'd probably question the likelihood of someone wanting to scam a $10 item. Maybe it's just me, but I would tend to think that the scammers out there would have their eyes on more valuable items.

If the answer is (b), postage time really shouldn't be an issue since you are sending it from Adelaide (at least, according to your listing) and since you are assumably posting it as a letter given the $2.50 postage charge. Letters from capital city to capital city tend to take 2 business days and from capital to non-metro 3, at least on average.

Also, if it's (b), I would just be careful to message the buyer and give them a conservative estimate (not an exact prediction) of when it would arrive, e.g. next 2-6 days. This would hopefully stop them from complaining until 6 days are up. I wouldn't mention "business days" as from experience, this tends to confuse some newbies.

And, if it's (a) and you really are that worried you could always just post it for $7.20 and slap on a Signature on Delivery for around $3.... but that doesn't give you much margin on a $12.50 sale. Would it really be worth it? If it helps you sleep at night, maybe, but again from experience, I never hear back from half my 0-feedback buyers... at all.

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

For eBay, pretty much no chance, but there are sellers who have used video evidence to establish not only proof of postage, but that the item was received, but they lost the case because the seller showed video evidence to PayPal proving that all items were packed).

I don't know how common it is for video evidence to be submitted and / or accepted, but the answer to your questions is definitely not a categoric "no" as far as PayPal are concerned. 

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

No. Tracking is required.. it also shows item was delivered (or not!).

if the seller can show proof that they posted the item, surely that would absolve them of responsibility if the item doesn't reach its intended destination.

No, not at all. Seller is responsible, no tracking.... they must refund if item is not received. Can't blame it on the Postal Service either when there is no tracking.

No, the seller is not responsible if it has been posted but not received - that's why PayPal require proof of postage, not proof of delivery.

eBay are trying to make the seller take responsibility, and the fact of the matter is most sellers will do so regardless, but there is a difference between being legally responsible, and being forced to be responsible by a third party.

Tracking is irrelevant in so far as proof of postage goes, too. If I have a stamped lodgement receipt for a registered large letter, even if there are no tracking events at all, the buyer is not eligible for (PayPal) protection for INR.

If there is tracking but it doesn't show as delivered, the buyer still isn't eligible for (PayPal) protection for INR.

eBay have confused matters by refusing to properly clarify what they mean by "delivery", but the standard definition for online sales / posted items is "handed to the carrier", not "received by the buyer".

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

If you want you can have a book with the item in it and the name address and when you post it get the post office to stamp it.When you post I do that on top off everything just so i have more proof it works with paypal not sure with ebay but is proof.

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply