Can you provide video evidence that you've posted an item?

Some of the items I sell are posted without tracking. If I record on video me putting the item in the envelope (with the correct recipient shown on the front), sealing the envelope, and then posting the envelope (again, showing the recipient's address on the front), can the footage be used as proof of postage if a buyer claims that they didn't receive it?

Has anyone else tried this?

In an ideal world I'd send everything with tracking... but the extra postage cost would make the sale of these items unviable.

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

@digital*ghost wrote:

@am*3 wrote:
Buyers have a choice now when they have an issue with a transaction - open a Paypal case OR an eBay MBG case.

With the Ebay money back guarantee, for an item not received claim, if seller doesn't have a tracking number to upload, then they have no chance of not being held responsible.

That's not the point at all. As I said, but to clarify it even further, there is a difference between being responsible and being forced to pay. 

There is also a difference between legal responsibilities, moral and/or ethical responsibilities (a personal thing), and customer expectations / practicalities (eg as I have stated on numerous occasions, I effectively practiced eBay's MBG years before it was introduced).

Don't forget, even with eBay's MBG, if an item shows as delivered but in actual fact the buyer never received it (which does happen), the seller won't be held "responsible", by eBay or PayPal. 

How can a seller be not forced to pay if they lose a ebay MBG case? The funds are for the item sold are put on hold when the request is open. What happens then, paypal refund the buyer and take the money from the sellers paypal a/c?

I too would have refunded a buyer in the past if they had an item not received. Fortunately that never occured. Recently had one that never made it to UK. I refunded they day the request was made. There was,no tracking to progress with the case process anyway.

The points I raised specifically refered to item not received. Sent at letter rate with no tracking.

Message 21 of 25
Latest reply

This new system will make it harder for sellers who sell low cost items, eg dvds etc, that are thin, light weight and don't have to send as a parcel but rather still in an envelope and then being wary of the lost or the non received claim that may go against them.

Exactly. Which is the  type of item the OP is referring too. Be too risky expecting video evidence to be accepted for those untracked items.

Any dishonest buyers can also take advantage there, even if they receive their item, by claiming it was never received. No tracking, no proof.

Message 22 of 25
Latest reply

I still think you are missing the general gist of my posts - I wanted to make a clear distinction between "the seller is responsible" and "the seller can be forced to pay", because they're not the same thing.

And there is still a difference between PayPal and eBay cases. 

Tracking is not a requirement for PayPal, it never has been, it is just one of the forms of proof of postage they accept, and arguably the easiest to provide. 

I know that, in practice, eBay's MBG is currently operating differently, but it shouldn't be. 

Message 23 of 25
Latest reply

"Tracking is not a requirement for PayPal, it never has been".
This is what is weird and a confusion between both parties Paypal and ebay. If tracking is not required by paypal then why are they holding onto our funds illegally for up to 21 days once we have posted out the item?

In the transactions section of paypal payments you can see that there is a section to add tracking information and individually click on the status of each parcel. So even if we add the tracking number and marked the parcel as posted on ebay, Paypal does not receive this information and on their website the items are still marked as not posted and no tracking info updated. I have recently updated all my last few weeks sales by adding item shipped and the tracking number on paypal to see if this qualifies as enough information to have our funds lifted from the 21 day holding period.

Also would be good to just individually choose 1 transaction that paypal is holding and send them an email and let them know as a money transfer company they have no legal right to with hold your funds once you have posted out an item and have enough proof to show them.

Message 24 of 25
Latest reply

@negron18 wrote:

. If tracking is not required by paypal then why are they holding onto our funds illegally for up to 21 days once we have posted out the item?

The instruction to hold funds is, supposedly, coming from eBay, and is affecting quite a large number of sellers who haven't met some of eBay's requirements (re: sales history). They mention you can get funds released faster if you use eBay's postage label (so I suppose, in a way, they're trying to "incentivise" people to buy postage from them by not letting them have any money until they do....), but apparently PayPal aren't even honouring the earlier release of funds a lot of the time. 

There's another thread floating around here somewhere with lots of good advice about reporting PP for doing this. 

Message 25 of 25
Latest reply