Can you win INR with just a postcode/suburb?

Hey guys - I just posted a buyer's order today (express post letter at her request, which I never use) and she's just advised that, as of today, she is no longer at that address (it's a company address) due to personal reasons.

She's a repeat buyer, so I don't think she's trying to pull the wool over my eyes or anything like that, but: I only have the postcode on the receipt, and not the little voucher that you get showing the address (like the ones you get for the standard domestic letters). Tbh I overlooked it because it's been a really stressful week, so that's 100% on me.

So: I need the entire address to prove delivery, right? I swore I read that you only needed the postcode on the tracking, but I've just looked and it very clearly says "address". Anyone won one lately with just a postcode? Whatever, because it's only $20 if she does open a case, but just curious.

I'm thinking of asking her if it's OK if I call the company and ask them to RTS it. Zzzz.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Can you win INR with just a postcode/suburb?

I usually find they get returned to sender. Had one come back yesterday with RTS on it and the postman had put it in my neighbours letterbox even though I am 109 and they are 111.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Because you've sent with tracking, it will eventually show delivered and she will lose a dispute.

This is not your issue to solve. The buyer should contact the company herself to pick it up or make some arrangement.

You've sent to the address on record, which is what Ebay requires of you. 

Buyer shouldn't even be contacting you about a personal change in circumstances - there's nothing you can do. If the company returns it to you, you can let her know and she can pay full Express postage to get it again at whatever address she wants.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Yeah but if she files for INR then I need to prove I sent it to the address specified, and I cannot (as I said - my fault entirely).

I suggested that she perhaps could get someone else (a friend or family member) to go pick it up for her. I feel like that's what any reasonable person would do, if there's some reason that she cannot go pick it up herself. Just odd, really.

Oh well. Thanks (you too, eol).

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Where do you live?

Longevity seems to be rife and I probably should move there.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

If you hand write the address, regardless of postage method, you can never prove you have sent it to the specified address. However, AP tracking will show as delivered, which is what the eBay bot will use in the event of a dispute. People certainly don't get involved at that level, and the buyer will have to explain (hopefully) why they put the wrong delivery address in the order.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Ebay only looks at the delivered status.

Ebay does NOT ask you for the address, just the tracking number.

I would honestly not give this any more consideration - the buyer should have thought about having stuff sent to her work address instead of her home address, but again, this is completely her issue. Don't know why you're tying yourself up in knots? I think you're getting too involved by giving her suggestions etc. I'm sure she can figure this out for herself.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Lately I have been working way too many hours a week would say I feel around that age.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Tbh it's more baffling than anything else that she would contact me about it, because as you say, it's her responsibility to find a way to get it.

Not losing any sleep, just wondered what the sitch was with INRs, postcodes, etc. Cheers.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Yeah, it is baffling that she would involve you in her issue, but I guess that's people for you!

You'll be fine if she tries to open any case. Tracking number alone will resolve it.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply