Cash only pickup

In my listing i put CASH only as my condition of sales. As ebay rules everybody should offer paypal(among 3 options) as a payment method. In my listing goods are only for pickup, no postage. If customer denied to pay cash and like to pay through paypal, can i refuse to accept that. 

does my condition override ebays one?

Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Re: This thread was started in 2013. Let it die. [Outdated information]

Just keep in mind that bank cheques can be cancelled after printing (they can say they lost it) AND they are rather easy to make these days (for professionals anyway).  I accept bank cheque for payments over $10,000, however I do not release the goods untyil the funds are cleared.   It is a shame when we can't even trust bank cheques. 

Message 41 of 54
Latest reply

hey diamond, welcome to the discussion boards.

When you are reading a thread it would be helpful to take note of the date the thread was started and the date of the post that you decide to reply to.  The reason I say this is because the post you replied to was posted 18 months ago.  I doubt that super has been sitting around waiting for a reply to that post.

supernova.JPG

The problem with posting on a thread that was started long long ago is that eBay policies change, PayPal policies change, buyer habits change and things on eBay change sufficiently enough to make some of the advice given 18 months ago no longer relevant to today's eBay.

Anyway, again, welcome to the boards.

Message 42 of 54
Latest reply

I agree,
I don't want to pay cash on pickup there is nothing to protect me as a buyer.
Paypal or direct debit at least that way there is proof of payment.
It makes me nervous when the post only cash for the payment option.
They want cash to avoid paying the fees and that's all it is.
As a seller I also will only take Direct Debit of Paypal.  Cash on pickup they can change their mind and not go through with the deal.

Message 43 of 54
Latest reply

Although this is an OLD post and you should really have started a new one, you do have protections as a buyer and it is always best to pay on pick up, for both buyer and seller. You always have the right to walk away wiout paying if the item is not as described without penalty. I think it would be helpful to read up on the procedures. There are some serious issues for sellers when a buyer pays with Paypal for a pick up item then makes a claim.

Every buyer for a pick up item has the right to walk away which is why you, as a seller, must describe the item well to avoid this.

Sellers cannot avoid the fees as they cannot sell unless the buyer has 'bought it' through their listing.

Latest reply

kazza, thanks for posting on this thread (even though you were not replying to me, unless you posted from a mobile).

I’ve been checking it every day for over three years waiting for someone to post on it.  I will sleep well now that this thread is alive again.

kazzascorner wrote:

I agree,
Paypal or direct debit at least that way there is proof of payment.
It makes me nervous when the post only cash for the payment option.
They want cash to avoid paying the fees and that's all it is.
As a seller I also will only take Direct Debit of Paypal.

they just keep on coming.  Cash on pickup they can change their mind and not go through with the deal.

Cash is the best buyer protection for pickup items.  You go to pickup, if the item is damaged or Not As Described you say so and refuse to pay, just walk away.  No claims to make, no waiting for PayPal to make a decision, no waiting for funds to clear back to your credit or debit card.

Cash on pickup they can change their mind and not go through with the deal.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but PayPal buyer protection does now extend to pickup items.  If a buyer pays for a pickup item by PayPal and then decide that the item is Not As Described, or change their mind and just say it is NAD for the purpose of making a claim, then you as the seller will be out of pocket as the PayPal fee you pay for receiving the funds will not be refunded in full.

AND, please read the post that was the last post before you decided to post.

Message 45 of 54
Latest reply

ok

Message 46 of 54
Latest reply

I just couldnt resist commenting ... keeping the line of communication open.

After all the years of people commenting I STILL dont understand about accepting cash on pickup and the paypal stuff....

Wonder if anything has changed since 2013 when this thread started...

Cat Happy

I look forward to a reply....... whenever...... no rush..... I know someone will find this......... 🙂

Spoiler

@joebigiriman-0 wrote:

ok

Message 47 of 54
Latest reply

I ask for cash on pickup with every sale of non-postable items (mainly furniture).  When I first started selling in 2005 everyone would bring cash.  I would say about 70-80% of my buyers now ignore this request for cash and pay with Paypal.

1. Buyers tell me that they had intended to pay cash initially when picking up, but Ebay kept sending them requests for payment that appear to come from me, and encouraging them to make payment via Paypal.  I think buyers get confused and concerned that they are being chased for payment so they just make the payment via Paypal to get the messages to stop.  And to secure the item (Gumtree experiences make buyers a bit paranoid).  If Ebay stops sending these messages with links to Paypal then I believe I would definitely get more success with cash on pickup

2. We are being told in the media that we will be a cashless society in 2, 3, 5 years (the latest I heard was by the year 2020...) and I have had buyers indicate to me they just don't have time to go to the bank, and that all their online puchasing funds are held in Paypal etc etc. It is convenient to pay with online funds and this is getting more prevalent as buyers become more comfortable with electronic payments.

If cash payments are fizzling out (as I seem to be finding these days) then what are our other fee-free options for getting paid for pickup only goods? 

Note: I never return Paypal funds and then insist that the buyer brings cash.  I tried adding exhorbitent freight to prevent Paypal payment for a pickup item and got served with a Negative and a screaming match. Both actions just seem to encourage bad karma 

Message 48 of 54
Latest reply

I have read through both threads you have provided in your previous message.

One deals primarily with Ebay's/Paypal's protection/refunds for pickup items

The other deals with allowing buyers to view items prior to purchase/providing contact information

This thread deals with how sellers can get buyers to pay cash on pickup and ways to enforce that. 

I think it is still relevant

Message 50 of 54
Latest reply