Cash only pickup

In my listing i put CASH only as my condition of sales. As ebay rules everybody should offer paypal(among 3 options) as a payment method. In my listing goods are only for pickup, no postage. If customer denied to pay cash and like to pay through paypal, can i refuse to accept that. 

does my condition override ebays one?

Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Cash only pickup

Short answer, no.

You have to offer and accept paypal. The best way to get around it is to remind them when you send your invoice that cash on pick up is preferred so that they can inspect the goods when they arrive to collect and make sure that they are satisfied before they hand over their money. But some will use paypal for the convenience and that's all part of the ebay experience. I don't know why people don't want it, I don't care how they pay, I'd rather they just paid !

Message 2 of 54
Latest reply

Cash only pickup

You can refuse to sell ( which violates an ebay policy ) but you risk receiving negative feedback.

TCT
Message 3 of 54
Latest reply

Cash only pickup

Your conditions don't override ebays' but there is no PayPal protection on pick up items, hence not necessary to accept it.

So for the benefit of both buyer and seller, cash on pick up is the best option.

Buyer gets to inspect before handing the cash over and if it is not as described they can walk away. Seller gets cash without repercussions and no fees PayPal fees to pay.

Explain to the buyer there is no protection on pick up and you have had this confirmed here.

You can send the buyer here for an answer should they persist.

As well, cash means a chargeback can't be done months done the track.

If I receive PayPal payment on a pick up item, I refund the payment and advise they need to inspect the item before they pay. Adds credibility.

image host
Message 4 of 54
Latest reply

Cash only pickup

Paypal doesn't cover pick up items. If they use that they can't claim. No problem for you (in theory)

Message 5 of 54
Latest reply

Cash only pickup

genrel
Community Member

NO, You don't have to accept paypal on pick-up only items. It creates a legal loop-hole in favour of the buyer and no private seller can be forced into this loop-hole. I refund in full anyone who try to push this issue as I won't have a bar of pre-payments of any type, not just Paypal. If you once accept pre-payment on an item which the buyer must collect, the buyer doesn't have to comply with any preset time limits on pick-up..they can take as long as they want and you are obliged to hold the goods in good order for the buyer until they are collected...don't go there. I was caught with this some years back, the buyer paid by bank deposit, then came up with excuse after excuse why he couldn't collect and he moved address during the period which wound up being some 18 months before the item was collected and there was nothing I could do...so never again. Ebay can't enforce Paypal on pick-up for this reason, they just won't admit it. I have no problems telling ebay where to stick their PP rules.

Message 6 of 54
Latest reply

Cash only pickup

NO, You don't have to accept paypal on pick-up only items

You do if the buyer wants to pay that way if you have not set your listing up so that they cannot pay with Paypal unless they are paying for delivery too.

There may be no buyer protection for pick up items but there is also no seller protection against a bank chargeback anything up to 12 months later.

I have said this many times but it is very easy to list pick up items and have Paypal seller protection.

When you select the delivery method only offer freight.

In the payment options offer Paypal and cash on pick up (not COD)

If a buyer wants to use Paypal they then have to pay any freight charge you care to charge them, I always do an on-line quote with pack & send for their most expensive, fully tracked and insured delivery method and mention in the listing that it can be sent but the freight charge is likely to be $XXX.XX (it usually comes in at over a hundred dollars even for quite small things)

If they want to pick up then their only option is cash.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 54
Latest reply

Cash only pickup

in this situation the seller is stuffed. Ebay insists you must take paypal but then you are not protected against the seller. I listed an item for $250 which was to large to post so I stated that the buyer had to pay cash on collection.

(I have in the past had a buyer pay by paypal when collecting an item and they just went home and filed a dispute and took back the money. You cant prove post when the item isnt posted.)

So the buyer paid $250 by paypal and then said they would collect the item. I refunded the payment and explained the situation. They then left me negative feedback and there is not a thing I could do about it.

Further if you have a shop and take a credit card payment over the phone the person is by law not allowed to collect the item in person. It opens the door to fraud. (anyone who decides to respond to this with an opinion please do your research first as that is not up for debate. It is the law) One must assume that by precedent the same must apply with Paypal by Australian law.....Not that either Ebay or Paypal care about Australian law.

Message 8 of 54
Latest reply

Cash only pickup

in this situation the seller is stuffed. Ebay insists you must take paypal but then you are not protected against the seller. I listed an item for $250 which was to large to post so I stated that the buyer had to pay cash on collection.

(I have in the past had a buyer pay by paypal when collecting an item and they just went home and filed a dispute and took back the money. You cant prove post when the item isnt posted.)

So the buyer paid $250 by paypal and then said they would collect the item. I refunded the payment and explained the situation. They then left me negative feedback and there is not a thing I could do about it.

Further if you have a shop and take a credit card payment over the phone the person is by law not allowed to collect the item in person. It opens the door to fraud. (anyone who decides to respond to this with an opinion please do your research first as that is not up for debate. It is the law) One must assume that by precedent the same must apply with Paypal by Australian law.....Not that either Ebay or Paypal care about Australian law.

I did not think that paypal would do this in the case of a pick up item ??

I have always been led to believe that there is NO protection from paypal for P/U item for either buyer or seller??

Message 9 of 54
Latest reply

Cash only pickup

I did not think that paypal would do this in the case of a pick up item ??

I have always been led to believe that there is NO protection from paypal for P/U item for either buyer or seller??

many years ago there were few cases when that happened, that is why now there is NO buyer protection for pick up only items.

However, even in those time when PP would refund if postage could not be prooved, there was a way to deal with it = police. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 10 of 54
Latest reply