Very nice overnight sales

....but on another couple of platforms where I’ve noticed not just a few, quite a lot of other eBay sellers, or ex-eBay sellers. Quite a number too, now have their own websites, which no doubt they are directing traffic to generally, but especially after the first sale.

And, yes, both platforms are much more seller and buyer friendly and efficient and cheaper by at least half. Further, they are reasonably quickly catching up to eBay buyer patronage and accordingly, sales for sellers.

Just another of my recent observations that make me wonder just how closely eBay is watching it’s own back door and whether they realise the very urgent and pressing need for some policy revision and in some cases deletion.

The exodus isn’t really on yet, and I don’t believe eBay thinks it will ever happen, but I do foresee it as other "“Good” platforms grow in popularity. The rouse won’t just come in the direction of their back door either. There’s a few platforms building nicely now, over the hump, so it will come from all sides and it won’t be easy to stop the accompanying  bleed.

I’ve always enjoyed eBay, but it’s so different, common sense wise, to say 10-15 years ago that today it’s a watchful, mindful and delicate ‘tippy toe’ around the place in order to stay both ‘clean’ and ‘unscammed.’

Just my meandering thoughts today as I try to sort a couple of issues that shouldn’t exist  🙂

Melina.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I would have agreed with you if it was the case but there isn't any other platform that even comes close to ebay unfortunately in my opinion lol.

And you can't accuse other members of being mindful and delicate lol.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

I'm not 100% sure of the other platforms but assume one of them might be the other big E.

If so, then i think it depends very much on your product. If you have anything home made or a bit different, I think it could be a good place. I can see your sort of product being exclusive, unusual and could do well there.

For sellers of small things or everyday products for the home etc, then ebay is still a good proposition.

You're right though in that other platforms and other buying sites are growing & I suppose ebay has had to change with the times. I used to sell 15 years ago but buyers didn't have the choice they have now.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

It is horses for courses I guess. 12 months ago we weren’t doing so well elsewhere, but it is gathering momentum. And sure, as mentioned, the traffic might not be on par with that of eBay, but we are realising good sales at our prices. So in that respect traffic becomes somewhat less of an issue.

But the real point of my post is the hope that the eBay board do not become complacent and arrogant in the face of this perceived ‘non competition’ because it is real and patronage is building, and I do think it’s because of some very awkward policy and administrative culture here, not that we’ve had anything but excellent service. I don’t think any sensible seller wants to see harm done here, but eBay in some instances seem to do it to themselves.

We’re not going anywhere and are about to open a store and diversify. I just hope it’s the right decision.

I hope you are all healthy and happy 🙂

Melina.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Hi Melina opening a store will mean that you will need to sell with BIN so you're at the stage where you're comfortable with that?

And yes becoming happy after a long and unhealthy issue regarding ebay lol.

All the best. Woman Happy

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

That is going to be the challenge for us, but I don’t think it will have so much effect with the diversified product lines, still some tobacciana, but much of it totally different. Fingers crossed.

I’m pleased things are getting better for you. God I’ve learnt that you need to be careful to avoid and type of involvement.

Onwards and upwards, yeah 🙂

Melina.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Auctions of collectables are still included in your free listings with a basic store, if that's where your tobacciana (or other new product) is classified.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Thanks Joz, and yes some of it will be, which is good 🙂

I think we’ll be okay. We’ve really spent some time on the research side of things, but that aside, I’ve also learnt the hard way that there’s nothing better than the knowledge base in here. Sometimes asking the seemingly stupid questions can save a lot of heartache. Haha! You just need to dare.

Just waiting now because we had to do a bit of fiddling with a couple of other ID’s to be able to use the name we want. Had to close one to make its name available on another. I’m sure it could be easier, but anyway!

All new territory with some multi list items of a value not worthy of tracking etc., so the only thing we’re not looking forward to is what I believe will be the odd and inevitable sussy buyer claims, and perhaps the accompanying red. But, I’ve been well educated in here, so will handle it. I’m much different now than to when we returned 🙂

We’ll be up and rolling in the next 45 days.

Mel.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Good luck.Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Melina, ebay normally does not allow you to reuse names immediately....if at all.

Are you sure you will be able to reuse the name from the cancelled ID?

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply