Cheapest & Safest postage envelopes?

hsvcc64
Community Member

Hi,

Ive been selling quite a bit here on ebay & ive noticed the postage fees are ridiculous & high! Not to mention the ebay fees when you sell an item. For a thin bit of material to be posted, it costs $8.25? Are there any types of postage envelopes people can recommend that will still make sure the buyer receives their item in perfect condition & that doesn't cost a fortune? 

I dont like to raise my postage prices anymore because i know i dont know like to pay heaps of postage for an item, at the same time i dont want to raise the prices of my items because they wont sell. 

Kind of at a loss end with both sides! Any recommendations on how to cheaply send something or what type of envelope is the best. (Generally i sell things like clothes,etc) 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

hi

if you pack item yourself and its under 500gm its a parcel and costs $6.95-ask them to scan over counter its trackable

or 500gm red/white satchel is $8.25-is trackable ask them to scan over the counter

or 3kg red/white satchel is $13.40-is trackable ask them to scan over the counter

dont put the satchel in the red boxes,always have scanned at the post office over the counter

tara

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

the only problem is if buyers are paying through paypal sellers need to send with  tracking and

lodge over the counter you need proof it was posted

some send in envelopes but if it doesnt arrive they need to resend another or refund

it can be costly

i mainly use trackable satchels or wrapped parcels and always put over the counter and have them scanned

not had a problem with any of these

but i once sent an item in an envelope it didnt arrive the buyer waited extra time,i had to resend at my own expense

in a trackable satchel which i had scanned over the counter and yes this arrived ok

never saw the envelope one again lol

so its up to each individual seller

my buyers dont seem to be put off by my postage costs

tara

Message 2 of 36
Latest reply

I have only sold a few things but if you supply your own packaging, recycled boxes etc, and your clothes when parcelled up weigh 500g or less then it should only cost $6.95 to anywhere in Oz. The red satchels if you buy in a 10 pack cost about $7.30 to anywhere in Oz. I think the price of the red satchels go down again if you buy in even more bulk. I wrapped mine in tissue paper first which cost $1 for 8 sheets. Saying this I haven't recieved any feedback yet so I don't know if the buyers are happy with my packing.

Message 3 of 36
Latest reply

@shoptilludroptara wrote:

the only problem is if buyers are paying through paypal sellers need to send with  tracking and

lodge over the counter you need proof it was posted

some send in envelopes but if it doesnt arrive they need to resend another or refund

it can be costly

i mainly use trackable satchels or wrapped parcels and always put over the counter and have them scanned

not had a problem with any of these

but i once sent an item in an envelope it didnt arrive the buyer waited extra time,i had to resend at my own expense

in a trackable satchel which i had scanned over the counter and yes this arrived ok

never saw the envelope one again lol

so its up to each individual seller

my buyers dont seem to be put off by my postage costs

tara

Hi Tara,
Thanks for your reply. I always post my items in those hard brown tough bags or white padded bags from the post office. They scan them after they put a sticker on, but im assuming thats to get the cost up on the computer?
So is it best to still post in these envelopes (also ask for tracking on it) or ask the post employees for a special envelope/bag satchel over the counter with a tracking on it>?

Message 4 of 36
Latest reply

A bit more info about what your selling would help. 'A thin bit fabric' does not help. How big and heavy. If its under 500g use a click and send satchel ...$6.95 WITH tracking.

Message 5 of 36
Latest reply

@mr-vanilla wrote:

A bit more info about what your selling would help. 'A thin bit fabric' does not help. How big and heavy. If its under 500g use a click and send satchel ...$6.95 WITH tracking.

Mr vanilla, 

On my items i dont write "thin bit of fabric

!" haha. I just wrote that as a quick description on this post so people would get the point of what i meant.

Message 6 of 36
Latest reply

@boris1gary wrote:

I have only sold a few things but if you supply your own packaging, recycled boxes etc, and your clothes when parcelled up weigh 500g or less then it should only cost $6.95 to anywhere in Oz. The red satchels if you buy in a 10 pack cost about $7.30 to anywhere in Oz. I think the price of the red satchels go down again if you buy in even more bulk. I wrapped mine in tissue paper first which cost $1 for 8 sheets. Saying this I haven't recieved any feedback yet so I don't know if the buyers are happy with my packing.

Ohh thank you for this! Maybe it will be cheaper this way. Should i ask over the counter for these ... are they the red plastic satchels you are talking about ? ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 7 of 36
Latest reply

hi

if you pack item yourself and its under 500gm its a parcel and costs $6.95-ask them to scan over counter its trackable

or 500gm red/white satchel is $8.25-is trackable ask them to scan over the counter

or 3kg red/white satchel is $13.40-is trackable ask them to scan over the counter

dont put the satchel in the red boxes,always have scanned at the post office over the counter

tara

Message 8 of 36
Latest reply

and i put material clothes and anything soft in zip locked sealed bags

then put them in the satchel

harder items i put in small boxes or wrap in cardboard and then wrap white paper over them to address it

yes you can ask for satchels at any post office,i buy single ones(they are red and white)

but you can get a discount on bulk buying them

tara

Message 9 of 36
Latest reply

@shoptilludroptara wrote:

hi

tara

Thank you heaps Tara! You answered exactly what i was after. I have been looking at the parcel satchels and if its cheaper to buy ebay bulk satchels, the red and white satchels or 1 off when i go in to the post office. Ive dealt with quite a few rude over the counter workers, who havent been very helpful when i have asked these same questions such as "What is the most safest & cheapest way to post this item" they just automatically point to the tough bags and tell me to go choose one. Glad i have come to ebay discussion to ask this! 

Message 10 of 36
Latest reply