Cheapest & Safest postage envelopes?

hsvcc64
Community Member

Hi,

Ive been selling quite a bit here on ebay & ive noticed the postage fees are ridiculous & high! Not to mention the ebay fees when you sell an item. For a thin bit of material to be posted, it costs $8.25? Are there any types of postage envelopes people can recommend that will still make sure the buyer receives their item in perfect condition & that doesn't cost a fortune? 

I dont like to raise my postage prices anymore because i know i dont know like to pay heaps of postage for an item, at the same time i dont want to raise the prices of my items because they wont sell. 

Kind of at a loss end with both sides! Any recommendations on how to cheaply send something or what type of envelope is the best. (Generally i sell things like clothes,etc) 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Yes the red ones, it says small 500g on the top left hand corner. Really big clothes probably wouldn't fit though but all mine fit nicely and I got 10 for $7.30 or around about that.

Message 11 of 36
Latest reply

Sorry im not why mr vanilla's name is above. But thank you tara, your advice was just what i was after! ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 12 of 36
Latest reply

Thank you boris1gary. When i pop down to the post office next time to post an item i am waiting on payment for, i am definitely going to look into this & make some changes to my postage ways ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 13 of 36
Latest reply

Look at click and send. The satchels are 15c each if bought in 20s plus postage of $6.95. Far cheaper than the standard AP ones. And they are tracked to the door. The standard ones are only tracked to the delivery centre. If that centre is in a different postcode to the buyer, then you will not have Paypal seller protection.

As for what Tara said, I send roughly half of my items by untracked large letter (2cm max thickness). I have yet to have one not arrive.

Message 14 of 36
Latest reply

Also consider rigid card envelopes. You can post up to A4 sized items as a large letter (as long as under 500gm and total thickness is under 2cm) so the maximum cost would be cost of packaging plus $3.00 postage. Some fabrics would probably not be able to go this way, so if looking for a uniform postage method it might not be convenient, but for lighter weight, thinner fabrics or short lengths etc that can be folded to fit (in a zip lock bag with all the air out, so essentially vacuum sealed), it would be a cheaper alternative (but no tracking / proof of postage unless you pay for registered, or have some other method for gaining verifiable proof of post).

Message 15 of 36
Latest reply

the satchesl i buy and send that are trackable are not just tracked to a delivery centre

if you look at online tracking they go further once on board with the driver for delivery to the address on the satchel

also if not at home and carded they need to show id at the post office to pick it up which is a 50/50 chance these days

and when i checked i was told that because i used trackable satchels that were handed over the counter and scanned to track

and i kept all receipts and trackable paper work i was covered under seller protection

if you just shove it in a red box and dont get it scanned properly with receipts for it then no you are not covered

tara

Message 16 of 36
Latest reply

If you are only sending thin bits of material why would you pay for parcel rate. I can send shirts, bandanas etc for large letter rate either 1.20 or 1.80 plus registered sticker (which bought in bulk cost 2.70 i think) + the cost of the envelope lets say 1.00 this is also cheaper if bought in bulk. still a lot cheaper than 6.95.

Message 17 of 36
Latest reply

hsvcc64
Community Member
Harley_babes , I didn't think you were allowed to send material items (such as baby wraps) in a paper A4 envelope? . Even If it had the correct amount of postage stamps, I was under the impression it would get posted back to me as it wasn't in a proper postal package.
Message 18 of 36
Latest reply

I was talking about your letter stance.

Nevertheless C&S satchels are significantly cheaper than the standard ones, so my point still applies.

Message 19 of 36
Latest reply

You can send anything in an envelope as long as it's under 2cm thick. What you have to ensure is it's packed in a way that won't allow the contents to scrunch up, hence d*g's suggestion of using card.

Message 20 of 36
Latest reply