Checkout system problems

To sellers; When I try to purchase using 'buy it now' it goes straight to ebay's new checkout system.  

Now, I don't have a pp account and have no intention of opening one, so I use the credit card option.  Everytime, it rejects my credit card. 'We can't process your payment. Please select a different payment method or check your payment details.'

I know my cc is fine, as I'm able to use it on ebay for items won at auction, which I can pay using the 'old' checkout.  I also use it on websites.  The last four things I have gone to purchase I haven't bothered with, and have gone to other websites instead, paying a little more, but at least being able to pay without being forced to use pp. 

Before everyone says 'just get pp' that isn't going to happen.  In my books they are an unconscionable business, so I avoid them. For my own online business (not ebay) I use a different payment processor, very successfully.

I actually tried to pay a seller using bank deposit, because of this issue, and would you believe they did a runner, on a $20 item.  Pathetic.  No wonder ebay has a bad rep.  Pulling their details was not helpful at all - no address or email address, just a general location and a mobile ph number.  Whereas, in my online business, if someone pays via bank deposit and if I decided to rip them off (which I wouldn't) they have access to my ABN and therefore everything they need to take it further with fair trading. 

Vent over.  So, sellers, if you have a choice, could you please make it so buy-it-nows go to the old checkout system? I can't be the only customer choosing to purchase elsewhere. 

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Checkout system problems

The paypal guest payment facility is for people who do not have a paypal account.

It has nothing to do with ebay or whether someone has an ebay account.

I was using paypal long before I had an ebay account and the facility was available to me but I never used it as I had the paypal account.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

Thanks for your replies everyone.  As far as using paypal as a guest goes, I often do it on other sites without any problems, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't be allowed on ebay. I also can pay for items won at auction using the guest pp still, so I don't think it's that. 

I did put in a pretty uncomplimentary review, in the 'tell us what you think' of the new checkout form.

I am not sure if I have ever ticked anything regarding pp.  

I did notice the url says mbuy.ebay.com.au, which looks like a mobile version to me, but it was the same on three browsers, so it's not a browser issue (I saw that possibility on another thread). 

It's bad for sellers, because I have now gone and found a number of websites and purchased from them, rather than continue banging my head against the wall.   It's not great for me, as they are a little more expensive.  I hope the problem is fixed soon, before the lead up for Christmas (I usually start buying for Christmas in September/October).

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

Yes, it's taken you to the mobile site. Try removing the m. I had a dispute opened against me a few weeks ago and PayPal accidentally froze all my funds no just the disputed amount. I had no problems paying for 2 buy it nows as a guest with my credit card.

I always wonder why buyers are so up in arms and against opening a PayPal account. It doesn't cost you anything and it gives you extra buyer protection. If you don't use it it just sits there not doing anything. You haveno protection paying as a guest.

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

I had a run in with paypal about six years ago, thanks to a single dodgy buyer.  Before that point I used to say how great paypal was.  I hadn't done anything untoward, I just seemed to get some pp big head on my case who decided to show how much power they had.

I had to take them to the financial ombudsman - I won, because I was in the right, the whole thing was cleared up within days of the ombudsman taking it on.  Since then I refuse to have anything to do with them, although technically I still have an account I can use.  Nothing on earth would make me link any account with pp.  

In all honesty I have been very lucky in all my time buying on the internet, and I buy a lot, both as a business and personally.

Counting the time mentioned above, I have only had four instances where I didn't receive goods, and two of them were under $5.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

It's amazing how quickly they change their tune when you skitch the FOS onto them, isn't it? Suddenly they start calling you sir/madam instead of scum of the earth. I totally understand your reasons now.

I've been very lucky as a buyer too. Only ever had 2 things not arrive. Both sellers had no problem refunding without the need for a dispute. They were both Chinese sellers too! I didn't even ask for a refund just sent a message to let them know. I said I was happy to wait a bit longer but they both refunded. One arrived a month later so I repaid.

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

There have been numerous new checkout issues the last couple of days (in addition to all the old, well-known ones 😞 ) - including (but not limited to) weird limitations on items, postage discounts not calculating and the system requiring a phone number to proceed, but then not accepting the phone number. 

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

Update: I also can't pay on my computer with auctions I've won now, as they go to the new checkout system too.  Previously I was able to bypass the new system by going to the item page, then clicking pay now (as opposed to clicking 'pay now' from the purchases page). 

I figured out the only way to pay was via my phone.  Which is ridiculous Smiley Indifferent I have tried chrome, firefox and internet explorer, and all three are redirecting to a mobile version of ebay.  Removing the m from the URL or trying to change the url in anyway doesn't help, it just brings up a page not found message. 

A huge flaw, and one that will end up seeing a lot of unpaid items for sellers. 

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

My workaround for this is to keep a Buy It Now item in my cart where the seller offers "other " payment methods, so that the link "see more payment methods" appears in the cart. 

Once I click on that, the cart reverts to the original version and I can click on 'pay only this seller" and go through as per usual on just the items I want to buy. 

This only works if the item that's providing the "more payments.." option is in the same currency as the items you want to purchase, because otherwise eBay won't include them in the initial checkout process. 

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply