Chinese sellers should be banned from selling on eBay.com.au

It's disgusting how eBay Australia allows international Chinese sellers to list and sell on our site

My opposition are primarily Chinese who sell items for $1.00 (including shipping) But for me, the cheapest shipping within Australia is $7.20 + the  cost of the product. How can we compete with that? Yes, to send an item the size of two box of matches (for example) is $7.20

At the very least, our listings should get priority and appear ahead of theirs in search results

If your interested in drafting a protest, please post your interest here.

Regards

Dave

PS This is not a racial issue. My wife is Khmer (Cambodian).

Message 1 of 84
Latest reply
83 REPLIES 83

Re: Chinese sellers should be banned from selling on eBay.com.au

Sounds almost like GSP in disguise to me, if so bring it on eBay, I'm sure the Chinese sellers will just love that one. 

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 21 of 84
Latest reply

Well that sure sounds pretty glib.
Time to ramp up our own web site and get that working so we can disconnect from here. Once buyers can only buy this rubbish on here they will look for other avenues and hopefully find our web site.
Message 22 of 84
Latest reply

I list items on the US and UK store so that I can gain better viewership and more sales. Should I also be banned from those sites as well because I am selling to the US and UK store from Australia and not using international mode?

@aussie.grazing.boards wrote:

My opposition are primarily Chinese who sell items for $1.00 (including shipping) But for me, the cheapest shipping within Australia is $7.20 + the  cost of the product. How can we compete with that? Yes, to send an item the size of two box of matches (for example) is $7.20

That depends, is it the same quality? Generally Chinese made items are pure junk and if your item does redeem quality then people will look for quality rather than cheapness. We'd be in serious trouble is Chinese actually sold QUALITY items for cheap.

The items are sell are unique and designed (and copyrighted) by me  only so I have free dicretion on price and can don't need to resort to competing prices against other competitors on eBay.

I've only been on eBay for just over a year and made alot of sales, so I believe the market still exists (or perhaps the potential was alot high before). I've experimented on many things like, picture quality, description and simple just make new designs and testing the waters risk free.

@aussie.grazing.boards wrote:

PS This is not a racial issue. My wife is Khmer (Cambodian).

You're talking about Chinese sellers, whats that got to do with Cambodians?

Message 23 of 84
Latest reply

This is happening more and more.

Whilst I do not agree with it, this is the future.

Foreign sellers are setting up large warehouses in Australia and other countries.

They know people will buy more if it is coming from the same country as they bought it in.

So it is made offshore, sent here and distributed as if the operation was from that country.

I would presume these drop-ship warehouses pay the same postage as anyone else in that particular country.

As for postage. The Chinese government subsidise the postage on items sent from China, this we can do very little about.

It is a form of protection in reverse.

In this e-commerce life, you try and find something you can sell and make a reasonable profit on.

If you can't, time for a career change.

My particular business (coins) is fiercly competitive, like most other retail industries.

Many people sell items particularly coin accessories (albums, pages, books, etc) at prices I just cannot compete with.

So guess what? I do not try, as there is no point doing all that work to make maybe 5-10%, after expenses.

I find areas in my business where I can make a quid and leave others to sell coin accessories on wafer thin margins..

Perhaps this is what you need to do, find a niche of your own, so you are different from the rest.

The landfill in particular and the world in general, is full of cheaply manufactured junk.

Message 24 of 84
Latest reply

OP - I haven't read this thread, but eBay is international!

and while not a lover of (all) the Chinese sellers, if you want a country bound site, you need to go to Gumtree, r whatever your country has as a selling platform internally.

You can not pick and choose who you want to be able to advertise on an international market, get rid of the Chinese sellers, then you need to get rid of ALL sellers outside the country in which you reside...........

that being the case, you may as well put your ad in the paper or open a BM store.

Just when you think you have (read) heard it all.............

BTW - importorama - where do you purchase your items that you sell on this platform? 

Could it, would it, be perhaps China ? is that why you think you need a clear field with no competition ?

Sheeesh

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 25 of 84
Latest reply

Yes i totally agree im a small business but now Carnt compete selling my product all i see on Ebay Australia is china selling now with free postage we are now also competing with India sellers on eBay Australia which is totally not helping im going to have to close my store im only selling 6 products a month its a joke
Message 26 of 84
Latest reply

Op has obviously solved the problem in the last EIGHTEEN months, given they have 5600 feedback for the past 12 months.

Message 27 of 84
Latest reply

that is abusolutely right ,you cant make your sale 1 dollar including free shipping others can ,it is your choice to decide how much you want to sell,and also customers choice to choose which one to buy,if you make your things 1 dollar for free shipping you will get the same transctions ,but just you dont want to do that .......

@am*3 wrote:

Customers have the freedom to choose to buy items from what ever store and what ever country they like though.

Why are there so many products Made in China in our retail stores? Has anyone tried to ban them from being sold in Australia?

Message 28 of 84
Latest reply

screamingdemon_2007
Community Member

I agree 110%,  I posted a similar complaint regards to this a few days ago regards to default search results seemingly giving priority to foriegn sellers. 

Message 29 of 84
Latest reply

Blame Australia Post, they actively discriminate against Australians.  Why should aforeigner be able to ship within Australia for a fraction of what we pay?  This is why I do not support OZ Post as much as I could. 

Message 30 of 84
Latest reply