Confused and frustrated...

Community Member
Hi,

I recently sold an item on eBay Australia that I shipped to an American buyer, and now the buyer is stating that it is ‘missing parts’ due to it not fitting in her electrical socket (head scratch....) - I have offered a partial refund if over 10% of the selling price which she agreed to, but now she has been informed that she can return it to me and that I must pay for return shipping!!!!!!

The shipping was $70Aud (more than I charged the buyer) - I can’t understand why I must be charged for return shipping when the item was brand new with all original parts present!

Can anyone help me???
Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Confused and frustrated...

@tangledstitches

But they're from the US, and they're the centre of the universe so why would they even think that someone else does anything differently?

Oh so true.

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

true - i mean, they have "rights" and "freedom." Smiley LOL

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

The buyer came up Trumps

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

Community Member
Hair and all - I got trumped! Pants down.
Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

another thought to ponder, Australian items run on a 240volt system while the US is usually 110volts, if the buyer just buys a straight plug adaptor well BOOF and smoke

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

I would appeal the decision based on the fact that there is nothing "missing" from the itjem contrary to the buyer's reason for the dispute. Mention the reason was that the US buyer purchased and electrical item from Australia, which obviously has different electrical plugs. On the pictures it is even stated the product is from an Australian distributor and that you should not be held responsible for a buyer's error.

you have nothing to lose by appealing but everything to gain ($90 back)

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

Community Member
Agree, how do I dispute the decision? This is all new to me.

B
Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

I can see pictures in your listing of the power supply box in one it says EU UK  on the side the other pic has AU on the side - I cant see any that have US on the side...

That being said - and i hate to play 'devil's advocate' but if you're going to sell electrical items internationally you should state input voltage in your listing (my opinion), and be aware of other countries laws regarding the sale of such.

On the other hand if they had found it on ebay au, and you did not have worldwide postage but they pestered you to send it o/s, I would have said it was their responsibility to check.

Sorry if its not what you want to hear - just my opinion - i dont mean to insult or offend 🙂

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

I would suggest requesting a call back  in the help section of the website, so that you are speaking to an actual person. And then trying to kick it up the chain if you are not getting anywhere ("I want to speak to your supervisor").

Last time I tried to dispute a case, I did it through the automated system and it seemed like they didn't even bother to read the text I wrote, and gave no explanation of their decision. I felt like I was just dealing with Bots, not real people.

Off Topic:

I work in a retail outlet that sells the converters to use American stuff in Australia, and I can tell you that we are no better than the Yanks at buying compatible equipment.

One of the most common items ill-informed people buy from the US is some sort of fancy blender. By the time they also buy the power converter (not just plug converter) they end up spending about 50-100% more than they would have paid for an Aussie one.

Quick rule of thumb for buying electrical equipment overseas:

1) check the input voltage, if it's over 200 volts you only need a plug converter which are $10.

2) If it has a heating element (like a kettle), or a high speed motor (like a blender) and the voltage is under 200 volts, forget it. The power converter will probably cost hundreds.

3) Everything else gets complicated because it depends on how much current (amps) the device needs to run. And the cost is highly variable ($50 to $500+). Do proper research before buying.

Those are just basic rules, and it gets a lot more complicated.

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

Go to your Seller Dashboard - opens in new window or tab.
Expand Closed without seller resolution.
Select See cases and find the item in the list.
Select See details and then send us an appeal.

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply