Confused and frustrated...

Community Member
Hi,

I recently sold an item on eBay Australia that I shipped to an American buyer, and now the buyer is stating that it is ‘missing parts’ due to it not fitting in her electrical socket (head scratch....) - I have offered a partial refund if over 10% of the selling price which she agreed to, but now she has been informed that she can return it to me and that I must pay for return shipping!!!!!!

The shipping was $70Aud (more than I charged the buyer) - I can’t understand why I must be charged for return shipping when the item was brand new with all original parts present!

Can anyone help me???
Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Tell her to go and buy an AU to US adapter and then tell her to get stuffed. If it was listed as having an AU plug, then she has no comeback.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Community Member
Ebay have just found in her favour and deducted $92 from my PayPal account - the item sold for $600...

I’ve been stitched up, I’m so over ebay - looks like I’ll do my trading via other means.....

I suppose my mistake was not stating that the item was Australian delivered hence the connection, I assume that would have been a given seeing as though I sold it and it shipped from a AU addesss.

I was played, so over it.
Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

SOunds like they've just removed the postage amount both ways. It's showing me $60 to post to the US. Tell the buyer to return the item and you will refund on delivery. It's your best bet, otherwise ebay will refund the $600 and tell the buyer to keep the item. 

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Community Member
I just had notification from eBay that the case is closed - the refund was supposed to be $70AUD but I feel that the buyer has had a whinge and received $70USD ($91AUD) -

Before this was honoured eBay requested that I pay for return postage as the goods were ‘missing parts’ - bloody ridiculous.

Thank god it’s over though, not the best outcome but at least it’s done.

It seems the buyers have far more protection than the sellers on he eBay platform.
Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

the mind boggles. 

in fairness, the photos don't show any plug on the device - but you'd assume that if you're from a different country, you'd check these things out with the seller before buying - or as tippy said, go and buy a converter which are readily available. if you've paid AUD$700 for an item as a buyer, you'd think you'd be willing to outlay a few dollars to buy a plug converter. 

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

Community Member
Yep, I didn’t want to ‘disturb’ the packaging since it was new and packed from the factory so well.

I guess we can’t assume anything anymore - the $90 part refund is a joke.

Onwards and upwards
Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

Onwards and upwards. A favourite saying of mine 555. Live it 🙂

Its over, it has cost you, but you're much wiser for the experience.

Try and not let someone else spoil your day.

I wish you well.

Onwards and upwards,

Melina.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Community Member
Cheers Melina!

Wise words.
Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

@lm-entertainmentwrote:

the mind boggles. 

in fairness, the photos don't show any plug on the device - but you'd assume that if you're from a different country, you'd check these things out with the seller before buying - or as tippy said, go and buy a converter which are readily available. if you've paid AUD$700 for an item as a buyer, you'd think you'd be willing to outlay a few dollars to buy a plug converter. 

But they're from the US, and they're the centre of the universe so why would they even think that someone else does anything differently?

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply