Contact after end of Auction - advice please!

Hi everyone, I need some advice.

I have been selling on ebay for around three months and this is a first for me so I need some advice from anyone that can offer some.

I have just had an item finish and sold today. Tonight I get a message from someone local (SA) who stated they had been wanting to bid but bad internet connection meant they missed out. Could they buy it from me at an increased price.

I contacted them back saying the item had sold and the winning bidder had already paid (that is not necessarily true but sounds "polite" I'm not saying they have or have not on this page).

Thought that would be the end of it and realise the policy for dealings outside of ebay.

But - here is where I need advice.

Ebayer sent another message stating they really needed the item and could I let the winning bidder know in the case the winning bidder may sell it on to them.  What do I do here?  Do I contact the winning bidder, do I ignore the last message.  I really would appreciate some comments regarding procedure and etiquette regarding situations such as these.  One last thing the ebayer has only less than 5 fb over last 2yrs.

Sorry its so long winded.

divinespice42

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Contact after end of Auction - advice please!

Tell them you are sorry but you are obliged to sell it to the winning bidder and that is how it works.

Let her know if she wants to purchase any thing else to place her bid earlier to avoid missing other items.

So sad too bad really.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

If the winner wants to sell it again, they will list it. Don't get involved, maybe send them a message saying, sorry buyer not interested.

The etiquette is simple. The winner bought the item, the other missed out, they need to find another.

And if they ask again, I would ignore it, could be more trouble than it's worth.  😉

image host
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Thank you both for your replies - I will follow your advice.

Regards

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole, sounds a little fishy.

Any chance you can let us know what sort of item it is that you sold, unless it is a one of a kind " whatever " why cant the person contacting you outside of the auction source it from somewhere else ?

But as you said, you know the rules for dealing outside of ebay.

What would be in it for you?

You risk being reprimanded by ebay.

You risk there being some sort of scam going on.

And the upside for you is ?

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I would say sorry it's already been sent to the buyer, but if you come across any more you will let them know and thank them for their interest.
We all smile in the same language.
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Have contacted ebayer and said that winning bidder not interested in selling on item.  Received a message thanking me for my assistance so hopefully that will be the end of it.

peternt2001 - item was a Denby Greenwheat jug and lidded soup bowl.  I don't know how to give you the item number or anything.

Anyway they are around, I would'nt say really hard to come by but the my winning price was quite low.  I had listed them before and didn't sell so I just put what I paid for onto them.  The winning bidder should be happy with them.

Thanks all for your help and advice.

Rebecca

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

As a counter argument, what I would have done is told the real buyer what had happened and asked them if they would like the ID of the other person who was desperate.

Then, only if they wanted to know and potentially resell, would I pass the ID on.

Who cares what the other people do between themselves? Your winner might be able to resell for twice the price!

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply