DSR blackmail?

Sold an item yesterday and the buyer included the following message with the PayPal payment.

"Do not leave at front door, do not safe drop, if this is dropped at my door you will get NO stars. Sorry but this has happened to many times."

I contacted Australia Post and they say I can attach instructions to the package but this does not guarantee it will not be left anyway. I also contacted eBay and their advice is that the buyer would be within his rights to leave a low DSR to reflect an unsatisfactory buying experience but that the circumstances could be "reviewed" later.

My items are listed as free postage with reference to Australia Post regular parcel post and a notation under conditions to contact me prior to purchase for any specific shipping requirements. I've sent a message to the buyer including all this and indicating that once the item has been lodged with AP it is beyond my control requesting that he contact me with instructions for a different delivery method or cancel the transaction as I cannot meet those conditions.

No reply as yet though it's still early but I would be interested in thoughts on how I should proceed if he doesn't respond.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

DSR blackmail?

I would email the customer and tell her, "I am happy to put a large notation on the parcel "DO NOT SAFE DROP UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES", and send you a photograph of the parcel showing the instruction, to put your your mind at ease and to assure you that I have done all within my power to prevent AP from safe dropping your item.  It will then be up to AP, but I do not think it is fair of you to penalise me for something over which I have no control."

Cheers,

Penny
Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

DSR blackmail?

Tell them sorry but you have cancelled the sale (unless you really do want to deal with them). Requesting a service outside what is offered is against the rules./....;.I have had ebay say the same thing and they should know better......Put a complaint in with the department of fair trading in NSW..

I get similar requests sometimes (with no threats) but I just post as normal and nothing has ever happened as far as I know. No stars is like 5 stars isn;t it?

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

DSR blackmail?

If the buyer wants to leave NO stars, then that's a good thing as no stars can't hurt you. It's only if they decide to leave one star that it will hurt you.

I would be suggesting to the buyer, if parcels being left on the front door step is such an issue, they should request from sellers signature on delivery (BEFORE they pay). They can pay the extra however much it is and they have to go to the PO to sign for it when they get carded for it. They need to ask before they pay so the extra can be added to the invoice.

I had a buyer months ago who was buying quite a few things and sent a message asking that when I send the invoice, could I add signature on delivery as she had had lots of issues with things being stolen from her front door. No problems at all. As it was, she spent a few hundred bucks, so I didn't end up charging her anything for postage, but she still got her signature on delivery and was happy. She came back a few times to buy more stuff.

Your buyer should have mentioned this prior to paying so that you could have charged them for signature on delivery (or registered post if it was being sent as a large letter).

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

DSR blackmail?

hi dylan ,, as long as the buyer pays for an alternative aranged shiping , the buyer is allowed to. as soon as a buyer pays its theres. and if a buyer wants it signed and pays extra for it , no problem.   if the buyer has not aranged a different service , then the seller can just send as normal.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

DSR blackmail?

Thanks everyone for your input.

I could attach the instructions and send the item thus fulfilling my obligations but given that he has indicated vehemently that there is an issue with safe dropping that really won't help if the item is left and stolen, which i assume is the problem.

My inclination if he doesn't respond soon is to return his payment and cancel the transaction on the basis that I am unable to meet the additional conditions imposed post sale.

I wonder if he realises that no stars will not have the desired effect.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

DSR blackmail?

If you do cancel (and I can't blame you if you do), he can still leave you feedback and trash your stars. Make sure you keep the messages between you so that if he does decide to trash your feedback, you have evidence that he was making unreasonable demands after payment had been made. The other option is to ask him to pay the extra for signature on delivery and then there would be no problem.

I would also include in your next message that if you don't hear back then you will have no choice buy to cancel the transaction. That way he has been warned and eBay will be able to see that in the event it does go pear shaped.

Please keep us posted with the outcome.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

DSR blackmail?

The thing is once someone purchases something they have agreed to the terms........refunding will earn you a defect.....If someone is requesting something outside of the terms then ebay should cancel the sale. Good luck with that.......

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

DSR blackmail?

saarzi
Community Member

"Hi blah blah,

We're sure you can understand the actions or policies of a third party company or their individual employees that we do not control over (Auspost) are beyond our reach. Therefore, we cannot guarantee where they will or wont leave a parcel. In addition, threatening to leave negative feedback or low / no stars could be considered DSR blackmail, which is strictly against EBay policy, and could see your account suspended. Because your account is linked to your credit cards and personal details, your email to us could leave a black mark against your name for a long time to come, if reported.

We very much appreciate your business though, and have two options that might help you -

1. We can send the parcel REGISTERED post. This would cost an addition $3.50, and you would need to sign for the item on delivery, or pick it up from the post office. However, its probably the safest way to ensure you recieve your parcel.

2. We can cancel the sale. We understand sometimes that things dont work, and are happy to process a mutual cancelation in this instance.

Please let us know what you would like to do.  We aim to help our customers as much as we can and look forward to your positive feedback and 5 star rating.

Many thanks"

Its direct and takes control of the situation without being too unprofessional. Note *could*, result in suspension etc. therefore, you arent lying.   They wont be silly enough to leave a neg or low stars after that.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

DSR blackmail?

hi jig  , in what should of happen is the buyer should of contacted you first and spoke to you , about the parcel.

but he did not , but there are other reasons that nobody has stated why he does not want it dropped off at the front door. as  i have seen with my eyes a few times a parcel gets dropped off at your front door and they dont ring the bell, because they would have to wait for the person to answere it, maybe the buyer is disabled on a wheel chair , and does not go to the front that often.and does not want the parcel to stay there for a while.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply