Difficult sale to China - Postal address in Chinese Alphabet - Any ideas?

Hello fellow ebayers,

Would appreciate any advice or suggestions on what is looking like a difficult sale to China.

Sold item last night on my other ID. Over $50.00 so not to be sneezed at....

Buyer has 0 feedback (I try not to discriminate - everyone has to start somewhere).

Firstly, postal address is in Chinese alphabet which I cannot write onto the new customs form for AP. Sent message last night requesting English version of address.

Checkout done this morning stating "I will be sending money order/bank cheque" followed by a message "I'm new to ebay"

So.... I wrote back and politely pointed out that I only accept Paypal for sales outside Australia and besides AP Money Order won't work and I don't accept international bank cheques.Also stated that I could cancel the transaction without any problem. I resent invoice with Paypal only instructions.

This afternoon I received another checkout for "I will be sending payment via Bank deposit" and no confirmation of postal address in English.

Three things:

1. I know an International Bank Transfer can be done but isn't a 'Swist Code' needed? I know my swist code but I will not be giving it to this buyer. So therefore I think he couldn't do a transfer without my knowledge. My thinking is: with bad communication I could be waiting around and checking bank acct for weeks not knowing if or when a deposit was done

2. Has anyone encountered a postal address in a foreign language and had any luck deciphering it? Should I ring ebay and have them find the address for me?

3. Should I cut my losses and cancel the transaction now on the basis that Paypal is my only payment method and buyer cannot meet this method?

I have a second bidder, within Australia,  who also bought items last night and has bought from before, and he wants the item.

I don't want to be unfair to the winner but communication is very difficult and my advice to him would be buy a few items and get used to the way the site works, build feedback, then try again for this item next time I list another.

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Difficult sale to China - Postal address in Chinese Alphabet - Any ideas?

Thank you for your reply.

Option #2 is looking like the best for me. I'm at the end of Day 2 so I will wait for Day 4 and do unpaid item.

That's one thing I don't like about cancelling a transaction in that ebay asks the buyer for confirmation (even if they haven't paid) and next thing you know a week has passed.

The other interested party will wait as he has excellent communication skills and has bought before.

Appreciate your help.

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply.

I did think of this but surely a buyer would explain that is what they intend. No information of intentions is very confusing lol!

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply. The information about China and Paypal I didn't know so that clears it further for me that I will do Unpaid Item. Regarding the postal address I had decided to print it out in large letters and place on parcel along with an English version. But I definatly need the english version for the customs form. Have you seen the size of the line spacings on the new forms?? Tiny! Don't fancy the time and effort.

Thanks for the offer to help translate - much appreciated but UI will be quicker.

Cheers ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

Thanks for your offer but I don't think I will be needing it.

Much appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

Thank you to everyone who replied. Your experience, advice and offers to help are much appreciated.

I will close this topic now as I cannot see the buyer paying and I will do UI

It was good to sleep on it, come back today, read your replies, and form a solution.

Cheers ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply