Do I have to sell to the highest bidder at the end of the auction or can I relist my item?

I have a price in mind that I would like to get for an item I am selling but being new at the auction feature on ebay I am not acoustomed to the rules.  Does anyone know a person or persons bid but it hasn't come close enough am I obligated to sell to the highest bidder or can I relist the item?  

Secondly, I am wondering if it is okay to end an auction early.  I am totally unfamiliar with the rules.

Will greatly appreciate any advice.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Do I have to sell to the highest bidder at the end of the auction or can I relist my item?

Yes, if anyone thinks a buy it now is a reserve price, they are mistaken.

It could technically go past the buy it now price if there were a few bidders but it is a risk to start any auction at a price lower than you really want to accept.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

Re: Do I have to sell to the highest bidder at the end of the auction or can I relist my item?

voonz01
Community Member

I won a bid on a coin and paid for it then the seller relised my coin and sold it to someone else for a higher price then once they were paid cancelled my order stating it was lost there are so many people complaining about this as eBay allow it being a sale as long as you don't private message incase eBay miss out on any sellers payments once the sellers on eBay finish committing their fraud the buyer who has now missed out on the item because the seller has a 30 day cancellation allowance the items prices have sky rocketed beyond reach are then blocked from giving feed back so that the sellers can keep their 100% feedback rate as it's all about sales so the seller can do anything they like on ebay as long as they don't do private deals as eBay might miss out on any payment but the buyer is not protected some coin clubs are rallying together to see where they stand against these practices with many legal issues beginning to take place and a lot of ebay sellers who commit fraud are named on a lot of coin sites 

I was a victim of ebay fraud this week and seeking legal advice but as for now as a seller you can do what you like 

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

voonz01
Community Member

Ebay allow you to sell an item collect the money then relist the item sell it for more and then refund the first sale up to 30 days later all the sellers do is say it's lost and relist the item you have already paid for 

It's a great way to get money if you are broke for a couple of weeks  ebay will even protect you as a seller so you can't give negative feedback 

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

voonz01
Community Member

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Any reason we are posting off topic and totally false 'information' on a nine year old thread?

eBay are ALL about the buyer

And they do not protect even the most honest sellers

Interesting what kind of story this legal advice will generate

Maybe you could contact the 'legal lawyer' who posted here on the forum

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

You should really have started your own thread, particularly considering how old this thread is. Your purchase was not an auction either. I think this thread will be locked soon.

Your seller must have realized that the price was too good, as he sold two coins very quickly at twice as much after cancelling your order (and possibly somebody else's order too).

Sellers get a defect on their account when they cancel without a good reason, but they are allowed to cancel.

You can still leave feedback if you wish.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

@papermoon.lady wrote:

You can still leave feedback if you wish.

I'm not sure if that's still the case Papermoon. there was a thread a little while ago saying that with cancellations, leaving feedback was no longer an option.

IF that is the case then that's a huge loophole for dodgy sellers................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

Yes, I remember, padi. But that person had a black window where the order should have been, so, who knows, maybe it was yet another glitch... Glitches now seem to happen every day, and not only on Fridays any more. We advised that person to try another browser and clear cache and cookies, but he didn't come back I think.

I don't have any cancelled orders at the moment, so I cannot check...

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply