Don't use Australia Post anymore, use E-Go

I've totally given up on Australia Post now as they are way too expensive, too slow and too time consuming, thus why they can't make any money.

I have sent a 50cm x 50cm x 30cm box that weighed 8 kg's from Adelaide to Sydney.

Via AP it cost $56 and via E-Go it was $13.20. I paid an extra $2.00 for them to phone the receiver 30 minutes prior to delivery.

and to make matters better they pick up from me and hand deliver to the receiver.

The parcel was picked up on a Monday afternoon and I received a photo of the parcel first thing Wednesday morning when it arrived. Not bad eh ?

Why would I ever waste my time with AP again.

Australia Post, you've definitely lost me as you're paying too many fat cats at the top way too much and service is no longer your priority.

Message 1 of 51
Latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: Don't use Australia Post anymore, use E-Go

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I hope you make it very clear to your buyers that you are using a courier rather than Australia Post.

There are many buyers who will not buy from a seller who uses a courier service.

You may well get bad feedback if the buyer does not know in advance that they will be getting their items delivered by courier.

Message 2 of 51
Latest reply

I hope you charged your buyer the exact rate of shipment and not a cent more. Wouldn't want to be accused of postage gouging, would you?

Message 3 of 51
Latest reply

I think that most buyers are taking into account the high postage charges and as such this is being taken into account when bidding, thus it's the seller that's paying the postage and not the buyer as many sellers think.

If I was going to charge $56 for an item, most buyers would deduct that from what they are prepared to pay, while if I only charged $15 then they would be prepared to bid higher, you do the maths and I'm sure most would opt for the cheaper option.

Obviously there is a huge bias towards AP here but not me. They are just greedy and unreliable. It's about time we had some serious competition against them, only maybe then they'd learn how to run a business sensibly.

But at the moment there are just too many plebs taking a cut out of the food chain.

Message 4 of 51
Latest reply

I don't use E-go as I foundthey are to costly on larger items so I use Couriers and Freight......but that's not a recommendation for C&F!  C&F are not great in many ways.  Usdually don't answer emails, their software has been buggie (down 3 times for 24 hours or more)  and they really ream you if you make a mistake, or a customer cancels and you need a refund, plus if their is an issue re: weight or dimensions and TNT or the others send em a bill they just take the money out of your account without letting you know. 

I checked E-go and the cost was $16.06 for what you described.   Did you sign up for an account at E-go to get a better rate?

Message 5 of 51
Latest reply

I think you misunderstood my post. I hope you only charged the buyer exactly $13.20 for that delivery and not $13.25 or $14+ to cover packaging costs or fees or anything.

Message 6 of 51
Latest reply

Are you serious???

Message 7 of 51
Latest reply

I think that charging a small fee for packaging and handling is perfectly reasonable and certainly should not be labelled "price gouging". 

As long as the buyer is made fully aware that the P & H cost includes a handling fee, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. 

They are then free to decide whether they wish to bid on the item in question, in the full knowledge of what they will be paying for.

Don't know why you take such a dim view of that and try to tell others what they should or shouldn't be doing !

Message 8 of 51
Latest reply

Actually, Australia Post is making a fortune, your 8kg parcel is living proof of that, as is every item which has stung someone for $7.45 for being one millimetre over the letter gauge despite weighing 30 grams. Mail and large letters on the other hand...

"Don't use Australia Post anymore..."

If I only had the option, point me to where I can send things under 125g to the other side of Australia for $2.
Message 9 of 51
Latest reply

I think eBay should implement a system where the sellers list the item price and handling fee for postage, but not the postage cost itself.

eBay calculates and shows the postage cost for the buyer when he sees and buys the item. The buyer will pay the item price and handling fee to the seller, BUT they will pay eBay for the Aus Post label to ship the item, not the seller.

The seller gets the payment notification and a link to the PDF to print the postage label from eBay, and he packs and ships the item using the buyer's postage label.

This will get rid of "postage gouging" by sellers, and buyers will pay the true shipping cost for the item. This will also mean sellers are not considered to be responsible for shipping problems, because sellers just ship using the postage label provided by the buyer.

Message 10 of 51
Latest reply