Don't use Australia Post anymore, use E-Go

I've totally given up on Australia Post now as they are way too expensive, too slow and too time consuming, thus why they can't make any money.

I have sent a 50cm x 50cm x 30cm box that weighed 8 kg's from Adelaide to Sydney.

Via AP it cost $56 and via E-Go it was $13.20. I paid an extra $2.00 for them to phone the receiver 30 minutes prior to delivery.

and to make matters better they pick up from me and hand deliver to the receiver.

The parcel was picked up on a Monday afternoon and I received a photo of the parcel first thing Wednesday morning when it arrived. Not bad eh ?

Why would I ever waste my time with AP again.

Australia Post, you've definitely lost me as you're paying too many fat cats at the top way too much and service is no longer your priority.

Message 1 of 51
Latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: Don't use Australia Post anymore, use E-Go

Thanks for the tip on eGo.  $54.30 to send a 500g satchel 200km to Melbourne... think I will stick with AP !

Message 41 of 51
Latest reply

I can send 30kgs from Sydney to Melbourne for around $15. It just depends on which depot you use as some areas are dearer than others. 

Message 42 of 51
Latest reply

$15 for 30kgs vs. $54.30 for 500g...who can be bothered if there's that kind of variability?

E-No.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 43 of 51
Latest reply

I cannot imagine them charging 54.30 for 500grams so would like like to know the route before I believed what someone wrote. I sent a small pallet weighing 62kgs from Sydney to Moree (600kms) for $120.

Message 44 of 51
Latest reply

Let's all just face the facts of the matter.

Couriers are now well and truly within the frame after the latest AP parcel price gouge.

"If it fits it posts" was a good move that would have made them comparable to the cheaper couriers and increased their volume.

Unfortunately, they repriced all their satchels at the same time which effectively increased each size by approx 20%

Take a typical small parcel for example:

Sendle   $7.03

AusPost $8.65 ($1.62 dearer) +23%

Take a small local parcel (same city):

Sendle   $6.03

AusPost $8.25 ($2.22 dearer) +36%

Ok, I'm just using Sendle as an easy comparison and yes, they are really dear to remote locations so AP still gets a nod.

From an accounts perspective, if you can get a good courier onside then you'd be foolish to pay AP's rates.

If your products sell for anyhting less than $20 inc post your profits are being seriously eroded.

I've got a good mind to start using postage tables just to let customers see what it costs to use a PO Box or to live in the bush.

Are AP breaching their charter by charging more for flat rate postage to remote locations?

This reprice is having a negative impact though.

My local postmaster reports volumes are down after the price hike.

Most of his business customers aren't coming in anywhere near as often or with as much for him.

Message 45 of 51
Latest reply

@dazzledayz wrote:

Couriers are now well and truly within the frame after the latest AP parcel price gouge.

"If it fits it posts" was a good move that would have made them comparable to the cheaper couriers and increased their volume.

Unfortunately, they repriced all their satchels at the same time which effectively increased each size by approx 20%

Sendle   $7.03

Sendle   $6.03

Ok, I'm just using Sendle as an easy comparison and yes, they are really dear to remote locations so AP still gets a nod.

From an accounts perspective, if you can get a good courier onside then you'd be foolish to pay AP's rates.

If your products sell for anyhting less than $20 inc post your profits are being seriously eroded.

I've got a good mind to start using postage tables just to let customers see what it costs to use a PO Box or to live in the bush.

Are AP breaching their charter by charging more for flat rate postage to remote locations?

Most of his business customers aren't coming in anywhere near as often or with as much for him.

Once again, here is the assumption that a buyer who isn't home during the day is okay with spending 68c per kilometre (ATO rates) to drive to a depot to collect the item. I'm in Canberra and the nearest courier depots are 20km away. So $27 in car costs, plus an hour of my time. To save a couple of buciks? I don't tnink I'm the only one to see that as false economy.

As for the charter, that is for letters. Parcels aren't included.

Message 46 of 51
Latest reply

I for one am quite happy with the new Auspost satchel prices yes they went up but you can fit up to 5kg in any size,so if you have a small item that weighs 5kg it is only going to cost $9.20 to anywhere in Aus.That's just my opinion.

Message 47 of 51
Latest reply

New pricing/weight structure has likewise worked in my favour as well. It's not uncommon for me to need to send an item small enough to fit in a small satchel, but with a weight over 500g, so new pricing means I can send more items in small satchels rather than pay more for a larger option.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 48 of 51
Latest reply

It can be dangerous as i have sent 4kgs of steel items with minimal packing to make it fit into a small satchel. I feel the staff should be wearing steel cap boots as I would not want it dropped on my foot from bench height. I usually warn them before they try to grab the satchel.  

Message 49 of 51
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

@dazzledayz wrote:

Sendle   $7.03

Sendle   $6.03

Once again, here is the assumption that a buyer who isn't home during the day is okay with spending 68c per kilometre (ATO rates) to drive to a depot to collect the item. I'm in Canberra and the nearest courier depots are 20km away. So $27 in car costs, plus an hour of my time. To save a couple of buciks? I don't tnink I'm the only one to see that as false economy.

As for the charter, that is for letters. Parcels aren't included.

Pretty much all couriers these days offer either redelivery or a click&collect type arrangement (usually newsagencies or servo's)

What you describe is either dark ages or a Swift & Shift dinky toy operation.

I always thought the charter referred to postal services in general rather than letter post in particular.

If it's really that limited, it's not much of a charter then is it?

At the heart of all this is the fact that AP are pricing their products to the detriment of Australian businesses and to the benefit of O/S operators.

I'm not just pointing at the Chinese here either; UK Royal Mail can get a parcel to me cheaper than I can post it to myself.

They get no relief from the UPU nor are they subsidised; they are now now a fully privatised service and very profitable.

I believe Royal Mail does volume deals with a variety of carriers for international mail (most recently Norwegian Cargo for Scandi and trans Atlantic).

AP though, is in partnership with QANTAS since they combined to buy Startrack/AusAirExpress, so I suppose QANTAS just gets whatever they want to do the job rather than enter into competitive negotiations.

A Fahoor legacy that will be with us for some time.

Message 50 of 51
Latest reply