Ebay Calculated Australian Post Postage versus Retail AP Rates......also 'Cubic Weight'.

Have just packaged up a 2-3kg parcel to send from p/c 2617 to p/c 6306 via ebay labels and is interesing that the ebay rate for that parcel is about 18% less than APs retail rate ($34.36 as against $42.10) - I'd known it was hefty discount but never bothered working it out before - I just knew if I added on an extra $1.50 I generally came out with a couple/a few dollars for time and costs after ebay/paypal took their 12.5% of whatever I charged customer.  There is no discounted postage for <500gm parcels and I don't know if that 18% is across all other parcel sizes/weights/destinations.

This one was calculated at 'cubic weight' and it is interesting what a difference rounding of box dimensions made.  Box in question is 33x26.75x23cm which I had entered in to the calculator when listing as 33x26x23 (rounded down and postage $34.36).  Was about to generate the label and put in 33x27x23 (rounded up and postage $39.14) - that's a $4.78 difference and I quickly decided that 33x26x23 was close enough.

I haven't really any point to make about all this - I think the answer is a banana - just putting it out there in case it is of interest to anyone else.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Ebay Calculated Australian Post Postage versus Retail AP Rates......also 'Cubic Weight'.

go-tazz
Community Member

Have you thought about using the mailing boxes for some of you items.

Some of your listings could probably fit into the B2 and B4 boxes at a cheaper rate then what you have on

some of the completed listings,(it would still allow for packing).

The B2 box allows up to 3kg if you use eBay labels and the B4 box allows up to 5kg.

The B2 box are $2.40 each and cost $11.70 to post and the B4 is $3.35 and costs $15.35 to post,(each costs

less if buying them in bulk).

Each will then have tracking as well.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I think the answer is a banana     pmsl.gif

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

wouldn't that sized box with that weight fit into a prepaid 5kg satchel? i use them and pay 17.10ea over the counter. still has tracking.

never posted a banana, maybe ask a monkey.

scott morrison comes to mind if you get him away from malcom and his music grinder.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

am i reading this right

a b2 box weighing 3 kilos only $11.70 and a b4 box weighing 5 kilos only $15.35 to post, on what planet ???

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Australia via eBay labels. Has been the same for about 2 years.

You really need to keep in touch with your postage options.

I realise many people won't sink to actually reading eBay announcements, but they can't really complain that they don't know.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

wouldn't that sized box with that weight fit into a prepaid 5kg satchel? i use them and pay 17.10ea over the counter. still has tracking.

never posted a banana, maybe ask a monkey.

scott morrison comes to mind if you get him away from malcom and his music grinder.

The box I mentioned in the O/Post was 33x26.75x23cm - the weight is fine for the satchel but it is double the cubic size that will fit into a 5kg satchel which is 33x27x10cm (or could be a different shape but with the same overall dimensions).  I could have potentially split the order I quoted into 2 satchels but that is then the same postage as for the one box.  I am also loathe to pack boxed fragiles into satchels - the couple of breakages I have had have involved satchels so I have this thought that satchels are treated with less respect in the processessing system

Go-Tazz suggested the mailing boxes - I had looked at them some time ago, and will have another look, but what I found then was they are not deep enough for most of what I sell and if they are then they are not wide enough; the 3kg B2 box is 31x22.5x10.2cm and the 5kg B4 box is 43x30.5x14cm.  For example, an oversize mug that has a packed weight of 500-1000gm has a diameter of close to 8cm - I double box where possible and would want minimum 4-5cm clearance each side meaning I need a height of 16-20cm.  Another example might be one or two 22cm diameter salad plates - the 3kg B2 box width of 22.5cm is no good and the B4 costs would be $18.70 before I thought about handling and ebay/paypal fees.

I would also add that I might have a mental block on paying for boxes - I'm a packing material scavenger and it would be hard to hand over $3.35 for a box; that might be more than what I paid for the item itself.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

asked my local post office this morning, privately owned same person 15 years.

b4 box 5 kilo with the ebay label aus wide $15.35 got laughed at and told not from here.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@streetbeastshop wrote:

asked my local post office this morning, privately owned same person 15 years.

b4 box 5 kilo with the ebay label aus wide $15.35 got laughed at and told not from here.

Naturally.

As I said YOU NEED TO USE EBAY LABELS, which you pay for online (to eBay in your monthly account). And they have to scan them, just like any other Click & Send, online-paid, parcel.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply