Ebay Plus $4 express upgrade problems

I am experiencing a problem with the Ebay Plus Express Parcel upgrade.

Low value items that are small and normally ship as an un-tracked large letter class item.

Cost Seller $2.20 to post.

Same day handling time

Retail price of item is $9.90

Buyer has 3 x domestic shipping options on the listing:

Free Postage: Standard Postage (Australia Post Domestic Regular Letter) 

$6.95: Standard Postage (Australia Post Domestic Regular Letter With Tracking) 

$11.95: Express delivery

Buyer selects free standard shipping and is upgraded by Ebay Plus to Express Shipping at no cost to buyer.

Ebay only compensates seller $4 towards the Express upgrade when the upgrade actually costs $9.30 (difference between the letter price and the Express Parcel price).

Shipping by express parcel service will cost $11.50 + packaging materials and time to process order.

Seller now has to make up the $5.30 out of their own pocket to upgrade a "free" letter class item to a tracked express service. Impossible not to lose money on an iten priced <$15

Ebay chat support only suggestions is to modify the handling time to 2 days so these listings will be exempted, but naturally increase the deliver time estimate (and potentially lose sales)

Any Suggestions other than opting out of Ebay Plus all together or removing the free shipping option?

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Ebay Plus $4 express upgrade problems

We have even worse, Item sold for $8.95 for free shipping 

we normally pay $2.2 for AusPost large letter.

When the buyer select express with ebayPlus it give us $2.5 to do express.

so that mean 8.95+2.5 but will minus fees ect

but we have to pay cost for express post

How can I remove our list from ebayPlus?

Message 21 of 28
Latest reply

@thegoodfriendsalbury wrote:

How can I remove our list from ebayPlus?

Get rid of "free postage" and/or increase your handling time to 3 or 4 business days.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 22 of 28
Latest reply

That a good idea to add small shipping cost. So it will not consider free.

Message 23 of 28
Latest reply

"Get rid of "free postage" and/or increase your handling time to 3 or 4 business days."

or keep Free Postage and your usual handling time and increase your cost of Express Post to over $15 ie $15.01.  eBay Plus only applies to listings with Express Post Less than $15.  If you feel guilty about charging $15 for Express just refund what ever you think is fair after the sale.

Seller centre states

^^For example, if your carrier charges $6 for standard postage and $10 for express, then you should only charge the buyer $4 for express postage. There is a $15 maximum express postage cost for badge eligibility.^

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 24 of 28
Latest reply

Well that seems a lot of work, I must say.

Better to increase the handling time in these days of delayed ' Covid' mail deliveries.

Much easier.

Message 25 of 28
Latest reply

How is updating your business policies from $x.xx to $15.10 alot of work. Open, edit save done.  At worst use Manage Active Listings.  Plus if you use "Get rid of "free postage" and/or increase your handling time to 3 or 4 business days." you lose qualifying for "Fast 'N Free" which some sellers want to keep.  Increasing Express Postage only loses you eBay Plus.

Message 26 of 28
Latest reply

Why would you think 'Fast 'N Free' impacts buyers? Empirical evidence would be required. Please supply.

Message 27 of 28
Latest reply

I'll show you mine if you show me yours

Please show me where I said "Buyers" I said "which some sellers want to keep".

As I am a seller and as I want to keep Fast 'N Free'  my statements stands, and there may be a couple more in the whole of Australia who want to keep it too, so some is correct.   

Message 28 of 28
Latest reply