Ebay Sales Levels Are The Worst I Have Seen In 12 Years

Are any other sellers experiencing a severe downturn in sales?

In 12 years on Ebay, I have never seen it this bad.

I realise that the retail economy is dead at the moment, but I also suspect that the downturn in sales are due to Ebay allowing 5 sponsored ads at the bottom of every listing, in direct competition with the item that is listed.

Furthermore, I do the odd random search for items that I am selling and I always find them at the bottom of searches - absolutely ridiculous.

Ebay has dropped the ball when it comes to looking after Australian sellers, Australian items should be at the top of search lists on the Ebay Australia site, not be below the foreign sellers.

I normally only have a maximum of 2,000 listings but currently have just over 3,800 listings and increasing, yet I am struggling to attract more than 15 sales per day.

When you consider that up to about 12 months ago, I was averaaging around 40 sales per day with 2,000 listings so you can see the percentage in downturn.

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Im actually seeing the opposite arb, every month this year ive sold more items and more in $ than each month last year.

But back in the good old days when i first started then yeh its not as good as then, but then a lot has changed off ebay also for the good old days to not work any more.

I did think those adds were things you had seen and searched for, if you click on the add i think, or the little arrow in one corner of it, it sort of explains it, it does say you can turn it off or something, but i read it to be things you were interested in, am i wrong?

Message 2 of 50
Latest reply

Sorry i read your post wrong, thought you meant the add on the item description page.

Message 3 of 50
Latest reply

I will check but I think you are wrong as I am a seller, not interested in buying the things that I am selling.

I questioned it with Ebay as nowhere does it state in the Ebay policy that they are allowed to put ads in direct competition with what is being sold, at the bottom of each listing.  Their answer was simply, it is an autorised sponsored ad, but when I asked about where it is in Ebay policy, they said it didn't have to be in the policy, it was Ebay's right to basically do what they want on the site.

Message 4 of 50
Latest reply

Possibly your downturn has more to do with your feedback and DSRs, especially your responses to some of the feedback.

Are you still allowed to add extra for insurance? I know ebay said that it was going to be banned, certainly should be!

Making buyers pay extra if they buy more than one item so the cost goes over $50 and you charge them an extra three bucks for YOUR protection would have me hitting the back button.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 50
Latest reply

You are kidding me aren't you.  There is nothing wrong with my feedback and I respond to negative feedback with the facts of the case.  18 negative feedbacks from over 5,000 sales, please explain why you think that is a poor record.

And what is wrong with giving my customers the choice of paying extra to have their parcel sent by registered post - some customers like the extra security provided with registered post.

And I do not charge for insurance as you state.

Message 6 of 50
Latest reply

Recently we've had some of the best trading ever and certainly well up on same time last year (but there are lots of different reaons for this - including a more diverser range than we had a year ago -  and who knows if it will last).

There could be lots of reasons for your downturn in sales. These could include: a shift in the market (eg is there the same demand in the market place for your games as there was a year ago; what impact are downloadable games and the expansion of smart phones and tablets having on your market place; shifts in consumer spending in the current climate; other sellers offering more attractive terms, pricing or product; other sellers offering "free" post and getting better DSR's and therefore being better placed in best match; changes on eBay which you haven't adapted to .... or maybe not even identified.

I have no idea how your listings etc compare with last year, nor how your market place and competitors have changed in that time frame ... but I do know that the eBay market place today is vastly different than 12 months ago!

Message 7 of 50
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

My ebay sales are up around 300% on last year but definitely not a retire tomorrow scenario.

You are lucky SHC because when people can't afford to buy a Harley then they console themselves with a badge.

Within 2 years the GFC is going to look like the 'good old days'.

The underlying savage truth is that WE are individually responsible for the economic holocaust that is to ensue.

If there was a god I would pray that it save my children.

Message 8 of 50
Latest reply

mindtoobusy
Community Member

My sales have been up, but definitely not enough to retire on and travel the world.:-x

Sorry remainder off topic:

Termalert - I'm, a Christian and believe in God, I prayed for my children who are doing OK (did wonder at various times :O) and also praying for my grandchildren, as did my parents and grandparents for me.

I don't mind including your children in my prayers, if you don't mind.  Don't need to know their names.

I think each generation has feared for the fate of their children.  I can't imagine what it was like to have lived through 2 World Wars and the Depression.  If I lived in some countries of the World, I would be fearing the fate of my children and grandchildren a lot more and be doing lots of praying.

Message 9 of 50
Latest reply

mindtoobusy
Community Member

The underlying savage truth is that WE are individually responsible for the economic holocaust that is to ensue.

Forgot to say, I agree entirely - myself included!!!  Have been known to spent money I didn't have foolishly!!!  Can't now, as haven't got much to spend.

Message 10 of 50
Latest reply