Ebay Sales Levels Are The Worst I Have Seen In 12 Years

Are any other sellers experiencing a severe downturn in sales?

In 12 years on Ebay, I have never seen it this bad.

I realise that the retail economy is dead at the moment, but I also suspect that the downturn in sales are due to Ebay allowing 5 sponsored ads at the bottom of every listing, in direct competition with the item that is listed.

Furthermore, I do the odd random search for items that I am selling and I always find them at the bottom of searches - absolutely ridiculous.

Ebay has dropped the ball when it comes to looking after Australian sellers, Australian items should be at the top of search lists on the Ebay Australia site, not be below the foreign sellers.

I normally only have a maximum of 2,000 listings but currently have just over 3,800 listings and increasing, yet I am struggling to attract more than 15 sales per day.

When you consider that up to about 12 months ago, I was averaaging around 40 sales per day with 2,000 listings so you can see the percentage in downturn.

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

burdekinlad
Community Member

The Ebay sellers at the top of the lists are paying Ebay fees to be there.

You have the choice of paying those same fees or putting up with it.

Ebay is in business to make money and they don't care if it's from OS sellers or Aussies.

That's business and you have to accept the fact, like it or not.

Message 31 of 50
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

burdekinlad

are you referring to the Gallery Feature option ?

Message 32 of 50
Latest reply

Did you mean buyers?.

Message 33 of 50
Latest reply

Yep...I did mean buyers :)...too early in the morning hadn't had my coffee.

Message 34 of 50
Latest reply

According to these recent statistics, "physical retail sales of computer and video games are currently on their lowest level since 2006" (though still maintan the largest percentage of total game sales).

Particularly if you are selling games on out-dated consoles.. arb, if you want sales to increase, you need to think about selling Wii, PS3, and X Box 360 games

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 35 of 50
Latest reply

Post 13

You do realise though that any item over $50 that the buyer dosent pay registered post on you will will loose an item not received case?

Its your protection not the buyers, its your proof you posted the item, they buyer dosent need to pay it.

The only time my buyers pay it is if they request it, if an item goes over $50 for me, or items i should say, i then send it registered out of my own pocket.

Responce

Extract Clause 1.6. PayPal Buyer Protection Policy... If the seller presents evidence for an Item Not Received claim that they shipped the goods to your address, we may find in favour of the seller even if you did not receive the goods.

Buyer buys $200 item and on your advice refuses to pay for registered post.

Item is sent regular post (click and send)

Buyer is not home and item is safe dropped.

Buyer gets home but by then someone else has taken advantage of the five finger discount sitting on the front door step.

Buyer lodges PayPal claim

Sell provides proof of postage.

PayPal claim decided in favour or the seller and PayPal decides not to make a discretionary payment to the buyer.

Sort of puts the old ‘PayPal protects the buyer, registered post protects the seller’ in a different perspective.

Message 36 of 50
Latest reply

sunartgallery
Community Member

I just made my first sale so think I'm doing ok atm 😄

Message 37 of 50
Latest reply

Buyer lodges PayPal claim

Seller provides proof of postage.

PayPal claim decided in favour or the seller and PayPal decides not to make a discretionary payment to the buyer.

Wrong > Unless the seller posted registered or click&send the seller will not be able to provide "proof of postage" as required for seller protection.  Therefore PP would refund the buyer from seller's account.

Message 38 of 50
Latest reply

I thing you may have missed this part of my early post “Item is sent regular post (click and send)"

Now if you look at the Aust Post website you will find that Click and Send is simply a process, a process which provides you with most of the same postal service options as if you had handed the parcel or pack over the counter for processing. That is if you use the standard (no frills) click and send option, this allows not only for the item to be safe dropped but also it is uninsured, which is the same if it had been sent regular post.

Then finally of course there is the fact that though initially, PayPal would only accepted receipted delivery services such as registered post as proof of postage, they have over the years been forced to accept others to the extent that today they will now accept just about any documentary proof including a AP receipt showing something was sent to the buyers postcode.

Message 39 of 50
Latest reply

Sales definitely on the downturn. Sign of the economic times perhaps?...increased fees..?...possibly. A worry though,whatever the reason.

Message 40 of 50
Latest reply