Ebay Sales Levels Are The Worst I Have Seen In 12 Years

Are any other sellers experiencing a severe downturn in sales?

In 12 years on Ebay, I have never seen it this bad.

I realise that the retail economy is dead at the moment, but I also suspect that the downturn in sales are due to Ebay allowing 5 sponsored ads at the bottom of every listing, in direct competition with the item that is listed.

Furthermore, I do the odd random search for items that I am selling and I always find them at the bottom of searches - absolutely ridiculous.

Ebay has dropped the ball when it comes to looking after Australian sellers, Australian items should be at the top of search lists on the Ebay Australia site, not be below the foreign sellers.

I normally only have a maximum of 2,000 listings but currently have just over 3,800 listings and increasing, yet I am struggling to attract more than 15 sales per day.

When you consider that up to about 12 months ago, I was averaaging around 40 sales per day with 2,000 listings so you can see the percentage in downturn.

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

mindtoobusy
Community Member

mindtoobusy

Forgive me for my god comment.

When I cool down I realise that it's just the evil that mankind does in his name that riles me.

Thank you for including my children your prayers.

The old complaints ( like why does he allow children to suffer ) aren't really valid because he is patiently waiting for us to fix this world.

Hi telemart - no need to apologise, I wasn't offended and sure God probably wasn't either.

Wanted to let you know I have been praying for your children, and mine and my grandchildren, and for our Country and the world.

You are so right  about the evil that is done in His name. Makes me sad at times as a Christian, and then all Christians cop the flack!!!  Like every area of life - it's the vocal minority that gets the publicity.

Hope your sales are going OK. - Mine are going slowly but surely, and are at least better then last years, plus have quite a few private buyers.

I think people ar being much more careful with their money which is a good thing.  For myself, I never thought I would have as little money as I do at my age but "Stuff Happens" in life we never dreamt of when growing up and in early days of marriage.

I'm just going to keep on keeping on and doing my best with what I have physically, mentally, spiritually and financially.  There are so many people that struggling in many ways, who need help. We all need to help & encourage each other - even on eBay!!!

Message 41 of 50
Latest reply

hahaha your on fire with this comment hon... typical

Message 42 of 50
Latest reply

col52
Community Member

Wrong > Unless the seller posted registered or click&send the seller will not be able to provide "proof of postage" as required for seller protection.  Therefore PP would refund the buyer from seller's account.

Sorry, you are wrong.

There are a few ways to provide proof of posting (not just registered or click&send), even for regular mail items 😉

I know, I've done it and have the proof!

Hula, hula, lets all do da hula
Message 43 of 50
Latest reply

OP, one of the reasons your sales are down might be PC games.

I noticed you sell a lot of PC games. Unlike game console games like PS3 games, a lot of people nowadays buy games by downloading directly from some sites. So they are not buying CD-ROM games as often as they used to. Downloading games is usually cheaper and doesn't cost postage.

If you stock PS3, Wii or X-box games your sales might back up again.

Photobucket
Message 44 of 50
Latest reply

radiant.ebony
Community Member

I can't comment on eBay sales as I haven't even made any yet but... I used to play a lot of console and computer games and now I rarely play them, it's all online.

I'm a PC gamer, but I'm not always buying the latest games out there, or looking for them. I'm happy with what I've got at the moment. Though still would like ES V: Skyrim (when I buy a new PC).

I did have my favourite seller, who also helped me upgrade my system. His 'after-sales support' was one-of-a-kind, tbh. I haven't found another who does that. Maybe because he's a gamer himself.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like he sells much anymore, though he did recommend another seller if he didn't have what I was looking for. I now prefer just buying off this one seller for any new games I'd like.

As syrups mentioned, console games seem to be much more popular. I'll always be a PC gamer so will never be a console game buyer 🙂

In regards to sales, on my selling ID it's not all that great, hasn't been for me since they rolled out the DSR system and whatever other changes happened at that time as well.

I used to do really well in my category, but now not so much.

Maybe I'll branch out into another category, too, instead of the same one I've been in for the past 10 years 🙂

Message 45 of 50
Latest reply

radiant.ebony
Community Member

Oh, I stuffed up that quote X-(

sunartgallery didn't write that, I was trying to quote him.

I can't comment on eBay sales as I haven't even made any yet but... I used to play a lot of console and computer games and now I rarely play them, it's all online.

Message 46 of 50
Latest reply

I'm not a seller.  Not a buyer these days either

Reason:  Aust. Post ridiculously high postage costs.  Plus Aust. Post's demonstrated lack of reliablity and lack of honesty

Message 47 of 50
Latest reply

mindtoobusy
Community Member

As I Posted previously, my sales have increased the past few months.  I  have been trying to list more, but don't know if that is the reason. I've been selling for 6 years so have had ups and downs and added different items to my inventory.

I've had quite a few return buyers which helps, and a lot of the items I sell are popular right now - next year, or even next week could be a different story!!!

I agree with the comments re Aust Post costs.

I'm cutting out International Post as it is too expensive. A relative paid $47 recently to send a small package to Scotland - I get items from the US less than half that price so something is wrong somewhere.

Fortunately most of my items I can send as a large letter, but it is really OTT for a small parcel to have to cost $6.60 if less than 500g.  Some of my items are just a bit too thick, when wrapped to go as large letters, and cost less than the postage.

I usually send in an eBay satchel through Click N Send which is a tiny bit cheaper, and fortunately if buyers only buy something cheap, they will buy something else.

I send a couple of items Free Postage, but haven't inflated prices to do so - I will not play eBay games and allow them to take more fees from me by inflating prices to send Free Postage.

I can't find the link ATM, but I read an article where US sellers were complaining about the way eBay were showing up items in searching.

As to the answer to improve things, I don't have one, but am going to try listing a few things on the "other site" and see how I go.

eBay is more of a hobby for me but helps out with a few bills - I really feel for those who depend on their sales for a living, especially if you a "New kid on the Block".

Message 48 of 50
Latest reply

americanbeauty-au
Community Member

I think its pretty unfair that sellers from the UK & USA can select to purchase an "INTERNATIONAL LISTING UPGRADE" when listing there items, it cost next to nothing & there items then show up in Australian (and other EBay sites) search results as though they where listed in that country  (you don't have to click worldwide to see there items)  this gives them great visability internationally.

It's so unfair..why does eBay Australia not give us this option, for our items to be viewed in eBay USA buyers would have to select to view worldwide listings..we don't show up on the default eBay.com   😞  

Message 49 of 50
Latest reply

I have read all the comments so far and I can tell you exactly what your problem is....

You cannot take criticism.... By your comments you prove you believe you are right and need to justify everything.

Buyers want to be made feel important, and from your comments on this forum and your comments to your potential income, your attitude leaves a lot to be desired.

Rather than humiliate your clients, there is this system of communication that has been around for a few months now called EMAIL.

It is a wonderful thing.... You can apologise, correspond, and try to make everything ok.... Hell you may even be able to get a few people to change their feedback???

I am sure you are a nice person, HOWEVER not one buyer has ever met you or can talk to you face to face.

You have no chance to win them over with your stunning good looks and winning personality, so you need to do everything else you can to prove to us people with money,  how much better off I am by dealing with you.

My advice to truly improve your sales is this.....

YOOU ATTRACT MORE FLIES WITH SUGAR THAN VINIGAR!!!

Message 50 of 50
Latest reply