Ebay cannot verify personal info after registering for Managed Payments

I signed up for the new Managed Payments system a few weeks ago.

A couple of days ago I got a red bar at the top of my Seller Hub saying they cannot verify some of my information.

I've had a look and everything is correct, except that there are "xxx"'s over the day and month of my birthdate.

When I click on it, it says the DOB is in an incorrect format.....but there is only one format to put it in DD/MM/YYY.

Anyone else having this stupid problem?

UPDATE: Just saw there is a link to upload photo ID, which I guess it what we'll all need to do in the end.

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Ebay cannot verify personal info after registering for Managed Payments

I doubt that ebay will accept a NSW Photo Card when nobody else does.

I have had one for    years now and it was a nightmare to get.   It required far more identification documents than my OH had to produce to get a licence and cost well over $100 to get fo the maximum number of years (I was not a pensioner but did not have a passport or licence) before I have to do it all over again.

And it has only been accepted once in all those years....by a chemist when I went to one that I had never been to before and he required more ID than just my Medicare card.

Message 31 of 47
Latest reply

I had similar problems with the wifes account. We registered using a proof of age card and marked " other form of government id " in the check boxes. ( wife is blind, so no other forms of id ) This worked for a couple of weeks, but then got the red bar across the account. I uploaded photos of the id. but still had problems.

When I went back to try again, the " other government id " option had gone completely. In S.A. proof of age cards use the same number system as drivers licences, so I just ticked the " drivers licence " check box instead. This seems to have been accepted and the red bar and messages have gone away.

Message 32 of 47
Latest reply

@digital*ghost

Good idea, I will see what the ACCC say. After all, there is no rational reason for not accepting a NSW Photo ID as not being a legitimate form of ID of as equal weight as a drivers licence. As it is a permanent health condition (physical disability) that precludes me from driving or international travel the implied demand that I get a passport simply to satisfy an ID check is an irrational impost. I firmly believe that the rejection of my valid NSW photo ID card constitutes socioeconomic discrimination if not disability discrimination. I am making a stand, not just for myself, but for all people in a similar situation as myself.

Message 33 of 47
Latest reply

I decided to do a little research last night, specifically related to the NSW photo card and where it was (or wasn't) accepted as proof of ID. 

eg The Commonwealth Bank specifically lists the photo card (and other state's proof of age cards) as being worth 100 points in an ID check, i.e. it has as much value as a driver's license so you wouldn't need any other form of ID if you go into a branch to open an account or whatever.

But, on the flip side, businesses that do online ID verification (where sighting the card doesn't take place, eg via sending through a scan) often won't accept them because the reference number on the cards can't be verified digitally, apparently.

This Whirlpool thread gives some potential tips for making the NSW photo card number work in such situations, in some circumstances:

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2644830

Message 34 of 47
Latest reply

I have called the NSW Small Business help line (Ph 1300 795 534). The person I spoke to agreed that it was not reasonable for eBay not to accept a valid NSW issued Photo Card ID, so they have started a file on the issue. Hopefully  there will be a resolution.

Message 35 of 47
Latest reply

Why is the option there for "other Government Issued ID" ?

If they wont even tell you what ID will be accepted ?

my passport out of date & i dont drive, I uploaded proof of age card, - because its the only other PHOTO ID i have,

but they didnt accept it, I got ebay to call and they dont actually know what is accepted for this category in Australia,

also motor registry will accept passport as photo ID up to 2 yrs out of date.

Message 36 of 47
Latest reply

@tools_made_easy -

You might still be able to use your passport, even if it out of date. Just upload it and see what happens.

Message 37 of 47
Latest reply

my first try was passport number, then it got flagged to provide photo id, but might as well try to upload it anyway

Message 38 of 47
Latest reply

Yep, I think most of us have had issues with the basic registration and have had to upload something.

Let us know how you go.

Worst case scenario is to get a new passport.

Message 39 of 47
Latest reply

I have uploaded my ID 4 times now. I get no response from EBAY stating it has not been accepted but every time I log back in they tell me they are with-holding payments. I suspect its a short term cash-grab.

Message 40 of 47
Latest reply