Ebay discouraging new 'non-business' sellers

Recently I had a one off item I wanted to sell on ebay. First time I have sold anything on ebay for several years. First up I had to register a bank account with ebay, something I did but was not 100% comfortable about. I much preferred the old Paypal system. But what I am less unhappy about is the fact that ebay were not forthcoming about the entire process. To set up the bank account, they failed to tell me the timelines & the whole process to set up a single ebay ad was more time consuming than it was worth bothering with for a small one off sale. But that was only the beginning. The requirement for them to check my bank account by placing two micro deposits in it I reasonably assumed would occur once I set up the ad, but no, it didn't happen until the sale had completed & took several days. In addition to this I am then told, for the first time, that ebay would hold onto the payment made by the buyer for more than two weeks! Initially the way I read the info I found (had to go searching, it wasn't just provided in a message prior to me 'signing up as a seller as it should have been)  that ebay would hold onto my money until the buyer indicated they had received the item & were happy with it - ie provided positive feedback. "Ah well" I thought "that's fair enough provided the buyer leaves feedback - but not all do" & I wondered what would happen to my money if no feedback were left. As it was the buyer received the item promptly & left prompt positive feedback saying they were 'very happy' with the item & with my service as a seller. So where is my money? More searching revealed that ebay were going to hold onto my money for a further week (two weeks after the sale, & one week after the feedback received). Somewhere I read that ebay don't profit from holding on to my money - yeah right! So who does? And why was this whole holding onto my money business not made clear to me before I even signed up as a seller in their new system?  The amount of my time wasted with all of this was worth more than the circa $80 after postage that I received for the item. I really don't think I'll be wasting my time selling anything else on ebay any time soon. It seems that what was once a service for individuals to sell items no longer needed, that ebay is now only interested in 'business sellers', & that's not me. 

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Ebay discouraging new 'non-business' sellers

Perhaps you might find false and misleading comments based on someone's personal opinion rather than any facts/policies helpful, but everyone who is unsure and reading here should be aware that is exactly what the OP posted. 100% 

And as mentioned, when presented with facts, OP repeatedly denied them and repeatedly accused members in Australia of not being in Australia at all 

Which bit was helpful?

Message 31 of 39
Latest reply

Yeah, right. This "eBay holding onto your money" was on the news, was it? Everyone, even when not actively selling, should be aware of it? PayPal did the same? (No they certainly didn't!)  You're a muppet.

Message 32 of 39
Latest reply

@j_ds_au wrote:

Yeah, right. This "eBay holding onto your money" was on the news, was it? Everyone, even when not actively selling, should be aware of it? PayPal did the same? (No they certainly didn't!)  You're a muppet.

Really?  Sure about that?

Pending, On Hold And Unavailable Funds – PayPal Australia

You really need to read all your notifications/announcements from ebay.

A good seller knows what's happening.

Message 33 of 39
Latest reply

@j_ds_au, your accusation about sandypebbles being a "muppet" lacks basis in fact.

To the best of my knowledge, sandypebbles has never even met Kermit.

In terms of eBay placing a hold on money for sellers deemed to be higher risk (such as a new seller, old seller who's been dormant for quite a while, seller suddenly selling high-value items not consistent with previous sales, etc), that is not an unusual risk mitigation measure.

There are undoubtedly some drawbacks to that approach, and it particularly impacts hobby sellers or occasional sellers who are mostly buyers. No one denies that. It's unfortunate that eBay's current direction is clearly geared towards new big-box sellers or business sellers, away from the type of seller that used to make eBay a place of bizarrities, strange glories, odds and ends and more. But c'est la vie.

Yes, PayPal did hold funds of newish or higher risk sellers.

Funds management laws to avoid money laundering and fraudulent movement of funds have changed in recent times, and what one financial firm did in the past may have little relevance to what that same (or an entirely different) financial firm must do now.

None of that means that there weren't abuses in particular instances against some sellers. But calling people with whom you don't agree a "muppet" is neither helpful nor accurate.

Message 34 of 39
Latest reply

@j_ds_au wrote:

Yeah, right. This "eBay holding onto your money" was on the news, was it? Everyone, even when not actively selling, should be aware of it? 

Those not selling anything should be aware of the money hold?-No, of course not. Why should they be? Why would they be, unless they heard it from someone?

But if you plan on selling on ebay after an absence of some years or if you are an entirely new seller, then it would probably pay to read up on the instructions on the help pages. That's when you would become aware of it.

If it takes a new seller by surprise though, no need to panic as ebay will only hold the money for a few weeks and then release it to the seller. It's not like a seller will be out of pocket forever.

Message 35 of 39
Latest reply

Typical response from someone not liking basic facts so they have a tantrum and call a person names

You need to be over 18 to have an eBay account is another basic fact

Message 36 of 39
Latest reply

Geez Sandy - I was just about to inquire - how's  Miss Piggy??

Message 37 of 39
Latest reply

We've  been makin' bacon and have decided to call the child Kevin

Message 38 of 39
Latest reply

Karen - if it's a girl. ??

Message 39 of 39
Latest reply