Ebay estimated delivery dates

Hi all, just thought i would share a response from ebay about estimated delivery dates. I have just put a sentence on all my listings to NOT rely on the ebay estimated delivery date as they are often incorrect. We are getting more cases opened against us from international buyers because the item had not arrived in expected time, yet we posted same day as purchase.

This is their response

Just to inform you that eBay estimated delivery date, is not incorrect. It is eBay system who calculated this, it is a collective data. We based it on other seller who delivered the same item from the item location, same as to you, posted to the location of the buyer. As long as your listing has the correct handling time, dimensions and weight. Then there is no reason for your item to be posted to your buyer, late.

What a joke, customs and postal delays overseas are plenty of reasons for delay in delivery. Sellers can never be on the right side, no matter if you post instantly, it is still our fault if the item is delayed.

I'm starting to get very tired of their nonsense and we have been selling for 19 years.

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Ebay estimated delivery dates

l wrote in my ads for a while that the Australian postage time and system is out of my control, and l could not promise when an item would be delivered, Ebay wrote to me and told me l was not allowed to say that in my ad.....go figure!

Message 11 of 32
Latest reply

Yeah, a leaflet is a good idea, will do that, thank you.

I

Message 12 of 32
Latest reply

Thanks
I have written back to them, highlighting that sentence and letting them know we send within 24 hours, I will see what they get back to me with.
Message 13 of 32
Latest reply

@yoda007 wrote:

Just to inform you that eBay estimated delivery date, is not incorrect. It is eBay system who calculated this, it is a collective data. We based it on other seller who delivered the same item from the item location, same as to you, posted to the location of the buyer. As long as your listing has the correct handling time, dimensions and weight. Then there is no reason for your item to be posted to your buyer, late.

Haha, love it! The same item, from the same location, to the same location? What are the odds of that happening often enough to even collect enough data to calculate a reliable ETA? Smiley Surprised Smiley LOL

I love how they make it sound like that's a perfectly reasonable response to have to the issue - I have some international buyers who will receive some of their orders in a week, and other orders in around 4-5 weeks, so eBay would be well aware of there being virtually no consistency to delivery timeframes. It sure would be nice if they stopped pretending like there is.

Australia Post should be taken to task over this issue as well, half the reason international ETAs are so short is because Aus Post quote the time it takes to land in customs in the other country, and more often than not, it's the optimum timeframe to boot (i.e. when they say 6 business days to the US, they mean it will be at US customs in around 6 days), but eBay use that as the basis for delivery timeframes. If you actually go to the PO and send a parcel OS, their computer systems almost always quote a different, longer timeframe - you the words I've heard said by staff countless times in response to customers saying things like "it says 6 days online"?

"Let me just look up the actual timeframe". 

sigh

Message 14 of 32
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@yoda007 wrote:

Haha, love it! The same item, from the same location, to the same location? What are the odds of that happening often enough to even collect enough data to calculate a reliable ETA? Smiley Surprised Smiley LOL

I love how they make it sound like that's a perfectly reasonable response to have to the issue - I have some international buyers who will receive some of their orders in a week, and other orders in around 4-5 weeks, so eBay would be well aware of there being virtually no consistency to delivery timeframes. It sure would be nice if they stopped pretending like there is.

Australia Post should be taken to task over this issue as well, half the reason international ETAs are so short is because Aus Post quote the time it takes to land in customs in the other country, and more often than not, it's the optimum timeframe to boot (i.e. when they say 6 business days to the US, they mean it will be at US customs in around 6 days), but eBay use that as the basis for delivery timeframes. If you actually go to the PO and send a parcel OS, their computer systems almost always quote a different, longer timeframe - you the words I've heard said by staff countless times in response to customers saying things like "it says 6 days online"?

"Let me just look up the actual timeframe". 

sigh

Delivery times are out of a seller's hands as they aren't necessarily consistent even if it is the same item to the same place.

True story: My 2 daughters were in London & both went into a post office together to post their sleeping bags home here. (They were continuing on another tour & wanted to lighten their luggage.) The sleeping bags were in 2 separate parcels.

So-identical packages, identical weights, identical postage paid in exactly the same PO at exactly the same time to exactly the same address.

One arrived here within the week.

The other didn't. We in fact gave it up for lost as it still was not here even a month after the girls got back from their trip.

One day it arrived-must have been over 2 or 3 months after being posted.

No idea why the difference-maybe one came air, the other sea?

Message 15 of 32
Latest reply

When will eBay rectify this issue. I have my listings showing as fast and free, Can I remove this? Iโ€™m darned sure Australia Post canโ€™t get a letter from nsw to wa in under 4 business days. It all goes by road.
I am genuinely gobsmacked by the stupidity displayed y such a large company.
Message 16 of 32
Latest reply

Gobsmacked goes close, but sort of fails for a more appropriate word to explain away gross stupidity and absence  of responsible due diligence, in my opinion.

Try this with an important delivery you have to make. In our case I'm talking about AP. Ask if they can 'guarantee' delivery on a certain date. You know what the answer will be. They can't and don't. The closest you'll get is, 'Yes it should arrive by then'. Yet eBay, in its greater wisdom will guarantee 'delivery by dates' on behalf of agencies that can't and won't. I don't like using words like gross stupidity, because it's confrontational and belittling, but in the face of what are the facts of the matter, I just can't find a more deserving or appropriate descriptor.

All it does is add to the existing confusion, create false expectations and pre-emptively lay out the criteria and scenario of what must inevitably lead to disharmony between seller and buyer. Gross what!!

The responses from eBay appear to be based on anything but evidence based fact - how truly unprofessional and amateurish.

We've not been 'stung' yet, but this policy also 'guarantees' that at some time, we inevitably will.

Common  sense left the building long before Elvis did.

Melina.

Message 17 of 32
Latest reply

Have you put in a WA postcode to see what the postage time says?

If you are logged in as yourself and have one day or less handling time (and 'free' postage) then of course your items will show 'fast and free' as it shouldn't take long for your items to get from your postcode to your postcode.

Message 18 of 32
Latest reply

sugarbydesign wrote:
When will eBay rectify this issue. I have my listings showing as fast and free, Can I remove this? Iโ€™m darned sure Australia Post canโ€™t get a letter from nsw to wa in under 4 business days. It all goes by road.
I am genuinely gobsmacked by the stupidity displayed y such a large company.

Using a WA postcode your items are just showing as Free Postage with estimated delivery dates of between 4 and 11 days.

Fast and free will only show to buyers who are in a postcode area where the items can be delivered within the timeframe.

You also need to remember that ebay rarely take weekends and public holidays into account.

Edit....SNAP Dave....you type faster than I do, obviously.

Message 19 of 32
Latest reply

I wish you were right davewil, post from here takes 2-6 business days according to Australia Post.
Unfortunately my WA customer is given a delivery date of this Friday if purchased today. Thatโ€™s 4 business days.
Iโ€™m not exactly sure how long that mail truck takes to get from nsw to wa but Iโ€™m pretty sure itโ€™s a darn long drive. Sadly there is no other option for a longer shipping timeframe from the drop down list to select.
My experience is that the letter sized โ€˜fast and freeโ€™ packs I send take approx 10 days, 8 if I attach a priority stamp.
Maybe someone has a solution or a way that I can remove this โ€˜ fast and freeโ€™ option.
Until then, happy new year!!!
Message 20 of 32
Latest reply