Ebay gave full refund to buyer and didn't charge me

The short story:

Ebay decided to award a refund to one of my buyers, and notified me that i wouldn't have to pay it

The long story:

--Buyer requests a refund

--I reply, saying I will refund upon return. Would they like to purchase their own satchel and be refunded, or should I send one (ClickAndSend was out of action at the time)

--No reply

--one week later I post them an addressed prepaid satchel, and send a message stating same.

--No reply and no return

--another couple of weeks pass, ebay asks whether the return has been received. And would I like them to intervene

--I ask for Ebay to intervene and list the history

--within minutes, Ebay approves the refund request and tells me they will cover it

This was the message I received from Ebay:

"eBay opened a case because of an issue with an item purchased from you. We reviewed the case and have decided to issue the buyer a refund of AU $xxxxx [full refund] without any impact to you.
This case is now closed. You're not required to reimburse the buyer or eBay, and this case won't be counted in your seller performance evaluation."

Has anyone else had this experience?

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Ebay gave full refund to buyer and didn't charge me

Yep, had one. Buyer requested a return for a minor flaw unnoticed when I listed it. Accepted return. After 3 weeks I questioned how long I had to wait for the return of the item. eBay emailed back to say they refunded the buyer at no cost to me and no defect recorded.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

Normally they will refund the buyer from your money and tell them they can keep the item. EBay encourages shoplifting on their site. They have no right to tell a buyer they can keep the item after refunding. Only the seller should be able to make that call.

i don't understand how eBay can tell a buyer who has been refunded that they are not required to return an item. Just does not seem legal, nor ethical. If a buyer has been refunded with the sellers money, the item then belongs to the seller and therefore should be returned to the rightful owner.

has me baffled!!

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

youโ€™re lucky you got your money normally it is always in the buyers favour , there is no such thick as seller protection , I have been burnt 2 twice in the last few weeks once with tracking to Melbourne once with tracking to the USA total $291.00 , the  whole system is floored

Full of fraudsters and they allow them to get away with it, I am happy for you  can bet your luck they will not be so generous next time

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

I thought they HAD to return it unless it was fake/counterfeit and deemed that way by eBay.

I've bought items and the seller had sent the wrong type and have sent replacement items. I've offered to return the incorrect item RTS in the same envelope and been told it's not worth the bother.
Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

Did you try an appeal the decisions? That's a lot of money to lose. I'd be soooooo **bleep**ed off.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

Sometimes eBay will find in favour of the buyer without the need to return an item. Don't see how they can tell someone they don't need to return it, eBay at no stage ever OWN the item. Completely flawed system when this occurs and they rave about seller protection.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply