Ebay introduces fullfillment centres to Australia

Got a call from an Australian ebay rep. today, inviting me to join their fullfillment program, Orange- connex. Looks to be outsourced but another example of ebay squeezing the lemon a bit more, trying to extract a few more fees out of existing sellers.

https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/ebay-fulfilment-by-orange-connex 

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Like everything on ebay these days, even its fulfilment service is " made in China "

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

I had heard something of this a while ago, but I don't recall the source.

Interesting. It is another step further away from eBay as it was back in the early days, long gone now.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

They talked about this years ago at a special breakfast function they put on. A seller I know went to it and told me they ran the idea past them that these centres would be in every capital city and it would all be under CCTV, showing packing, date etc and would eliminate most buyer claims. The aim would be same day or 24 hour delivery to most big urban centres.

My friend got the impression it would suit bigger sellers who had multiple items of the same stock as they would be expected to have supplies at every warehouse. That would effectively wipe him out from the program because he sells mainly pick up items and not always in big multiples.

He got the impression they were worried about Amazon's arrival in Australia. As it turns out, Amazon doesn't seem to be the force here it is in the US as we don't seem to have access to as much stock and it certainly isn't delivered as quickly.

It sounds as if this is the start of the program and if it works, they will eventually open fulfillment centres in other capitals.

The crunch hasn't come yet for the sellers of vintage/one off items. Maybe they'll just continue to have both different systems in tandem. I hope so anyway.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

I had heard something of this a while ago, but I don't recall the source.

Interesting. It is another step further away from eBay as it was back in the early days, long gone now.

Unfortunately the statistics are showing the mini me Amazon thing is simply not working, but eBay is still doggedly trying to follow through with it. All they are doing is alienating their existing buyer / seller pool for no real gain. The horse has already bolted on the rare and unusual, single item sales that made ebay great and the cheap, junky items they are flogging now can be purchased anywhere. They dont allow eBay to differentiate itself from other more competitive and relevant online sales platforms. 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Waste of money imo, more places to help china based sellers sell in australia

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Update: Never registered interest, never emailed about it. Keep getting emailed.

I replied to one saying I'm not interested, they said no worries we'll stop contacting you. Got another 2 messages and one said the couldn't get a hold of me on the phone lmao.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply