Ebay is getting too expensive to sell on

I'm starting to think is it really worth sellling on ebay, we get charged fees on what we sell then we get slugged again on a ebay fee on the postage. We don't profit on postage, and actually loose money, we also have to pay GST on the postage costs also . It we inflate the postage to cover these costs then the customer will shy away as postage is too high. If you increase postage to cover the fees then eBay get an even bigger slice as they take a fee on the higher postage charge.

Seems a win win situation for Ebay, but not so win win for the seller.

May be we should all start selling   just the item and stating postage will be charged separately direct to customer ?

Then ebay won't get a fee on postage cost .

Ebay should take a good look at the situation, if it wasn't for sellers then ebay would have no revenue.Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 85
Latest reply
84 REPLIES 84

Re: Ebay is getting too expensive to sell on

There are alternative marketplace websites that have free listings and have no/low selling fees. I have spoken to  a lot of stall holders at a sunday market who have left eBay

Message 71 of 85
Latest reply

Lord luv a duck!

I spent 5 years at a Sunday Market and then another 5 years in a B & M.

Give me my lounge room and ebay any day.

Message 72 of 85
Latest reply

eBay fees are getting very high  I just sold an iPhone for $490 and $10 for post the fees are nearly $70 

67.30  to be exact I won't be selling any more things on eBay the fees are way out of control now and way too high a rather throw things in the bin than want to sell on ebay I am not a big time seller I just sell things now and again when I don't have need for them I have a few things left on eBay I will be cancelling the sales on those not worth the money  not worth selling on eBay When eBay charges such such a high fees FEE now
I will  buy stuff now again on ebay but not worth selling  anything  anymore on eBay with these high fees FEE now eBay your fees are way too high for people who sell few things a yea on ebay

Message 73 of 85
Latest reply

So when did you check the selling fees? Before listing, as you should have, or after selling as you almost certainly did?

Caveat emptor applies to eBay sellers, you know. If you don't read the available information on selling fees, it's hardly eBay's fault.

Message 74 of 85
Latest reply

Have you taken into account the fact that with MP Paypal fees no longer apply - as they did when this thread was current/relevant?

The overall fees haven't changed for years.

Message 75 of 85
Latest reply

I'm always bemused that sellers need to announce their exit,  but leave their listings up.  If it's that bad, just leave!!

Message 76 of 85
Latest reply

Yep, that's exactly right that fee. 13.4% + .30 fee. It was 13.9% before the new managed payments system. You just got to make allowances for it.

Message 77 of 85
Latest reply

@jjsep0055 wrote:

eBay fees are getting very high  I just sold an iPhone for $490 and $10 for post the fees are nearly $70 

67.30  to be exact I won't be selling any more things on eBay the fees are way out of control now and way too high a rather throw things in the bin than want to sell on ebay I am not a big time seller I just sell things now and again when I don't have need for them I have a few things left on eBay I will be cancelling the sales on those not worth the money  not worth selling on eBay When eBay charges such such a high fees FEE now
I will  buy stuff now again on ebay but not worth selling  anything  anymore on eBay with these high fees FEE now eBay your fees are way too high for people who sell few things a yea on ebay

Everything is expensive these days.

You can always try listing for free on marketplace or gumtree but they don't always get the same number of lookers or offers that are as high. But it's certainly one avenue you could try.

Otherwise work out what the ebay fees are beforehand and build it into your asking price.

Message 78 of 85
Latest reply

I am totally agreed that eBay selling fees are way too high. It is not worth selling anything on eBay anymore unless it offers the seller a free insertion and 0 final value fee. I have refrained from selling on eBay for quite some time now. Seller strike is the way to go to bring the message home to eBay that we are voting with our feet. The more the better so as to strip the sellers' aisle totally bare and eBay potential buyers will automatically evaporate when they see there is nothing to buy on eBay anymore. 

Message 79 of 85
Latest reply

It’s really simple include the fees into your items selling prices and the same with the postage so when you have the sale the Buyer has paid for the fees and the postage cost

Message 80 of 85
Latest reply