Ebay is getting too expensive to sell on

I'm starting to think is it really worth sellling on ebay, we get charged fees on what we sell then we get slugged again on a ebay fee on the postage. We don't profit on postage, and actually loose money, we also have to pay GST on the postage costs also . It we inflate the postage to cover these costs then the customer will shy away as postage is too high. If you increase postage to cover the fees then eBay get an even bigger slice as they take a fee on the higher postage charge.

Seems a win win situation for Ebay, but not so win win for the seller.

May be we should all start selling   just the item and stating postage will be charged separately direct to customer ?

Then ebay won't get a fee on postage cost .

Ebay should take a good look at the situation, if it wasn't for sellers then ebay would have no revenue.Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 85
Latest reply
84 REPLIES 84

Re: Ebay is getting too expensive to sell on

@jchiu2009 wrote:

I am totally agreed that eBay selling fees are way too high. It is not worth selling anything on eBay anymore unless it offers the seller a free insertion and 0 final value fee. I have refrained from selling on eBay for quite some time now. Seller strike is the way to go to bring the message home to eBay that we are voting with our feet. The more the better so as to strip the sellers' aisle totally bare and eBay potential buyers will automatically evaporate when they see there is nothing to buy on eBay anymore. 

Do you work a regular job? If so, do you get paid? Why do you expect ebay to work for free? Would you be willing to work for free? If ebay was all about zero insertion fees and zero FVF fees, they'd have gone belly up in under 6 months. Like you, they have bills to pay. Employees to pay. Other stuff to pay. Why do you expect to get paid each week, but expect others to work for free? How would you feel if your boss turned around and said, sorry, you still have to come to work each day, but you're not going to get paid. We need to look out for others and work for free. Yeah, I thought so.

Sellers have basically had unlimited listings since the Managed Payment thing came in. Once I'd signed up, I have unlimited free listings (insertion fees). Of course I still have to pay selling fees, but I'm happy to keep doing that because my items get worldwide exposure if I want them to.

Message 81 of 85
Latest reply

@jchiu2009 wrote:

I am totally agreed that eBay selling fees are way too high. It is not worth selling anything on eBay anymore unless it offers the seller a free insertion and 0 final value fee. I have refrained from selling on eBay for quite some time now. Seller strike is the way to go to bring the message home to eBay that we are voting with our feet. The more the better so as to strip the sellers' aisle totally bare and eBay potential buyers will automatically evaporate when they see there is nothing to buy on eBay anymore. 

You called it a seller strike. Usually strikes are about securing better conditions in your workplace.

That's completely different to resigning from your job, by the way.

Just say a seller strike happened and it worked. The seller aisles were bare so buyers evaporated and eventually ebay caved in and lowered selling fees etc so sellers, flush with victory, started listing again.

How would the buyers even know? They'd all be gone, remember? Buyers don't look at fees, they don't know the fees they couldn't care less about the fees. They just look at goods and prices and if ebay didn't have much on it, they would just go elsewhere.

Just about every place you try to sell on will charge some sort of listing or sales fee. You could have your own website but that's not free either. What you have to consider is how much you have to sell, what sort of exposure you're getting on any particular sales site, how easy or convenient it is to use and then what it will cost in fees etc. Is ebay all that worse than similar sites, that's the thing. 

Message 82 of 85
Latest reply

49gran
Community Member

I have lost all faith in the honesty of eBay, its designed to protect the sellers to a certain extent, but the buyer seems to have no say and the fee,s well whats the point you list something for 200 and get 160 if you are lucky and this place is supposed be there to sell, but if you ask too much your items wont sell because people will buy them from another source.

Message 83 of 85
Latest reply

The current fees are not materially different to what they were when this thread was current, SIX years ago.

You no longer pay fees to Paypal, or hadn't you noticed?

If you list something for $200, the fees will be about $28, not $40, unless you have extra fee sanctions. Please read the fee structure as you don't appear to know what eBay charges.

Message 84 of 85
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 85 of 85
Latest reply