Ebay - you are going to give me a heart attack

Was looking at some my listings today and noticed that on the drop down variation menu - it has changed the symbol for inches (") into gobbledygook. I've attached an example. The variation should say 18" (45 x 45cm).

Can anyone tell me if my listings also show this rubbish on their computers, or if they are having any issues with their variations?

I've looked at this on 2 different browsers on my Mac, and they both show the same thing. Not every single listing is affected, but 8 out of the 10 I checked were.

I swear,..........sometimes I just want to hit my head on something!

Grrrrr!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

The ones I checked were all showing that to me cushions.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

Most of them showed with the &# instead of inches "

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Yep.   I got gobbledegook as well

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

@cushioncovers wrote:

Was looking at some my listings today and noticed that on the drop down variation menu - it has changed the symbol for inches (") into gobbledygook. I've attached an example. The variation should say 18" (45 x 45cm).

Can anyone tell me if my listings also show this rubbish on their computers, or if they are having any issues with their variations?

I've looked at this on 2 different browsers on my Mac, and they both show the same thing. Not every single listing is affected, but 8 out of the 10 I checked were.

I swear,..........sometimes I just want to hit my head on something!

Grrrrr!!!!!!!

There have been quite a few issues with sloppy coding lately.

I've also found the manual download CSV invoice files put all the titles within apostrophes (auto download CSV gets it right though).

I think you've come up against a clumsy attempt to defend against SQL injection hacks.

", ' and & are all symbols that are used in Structured Query Language to manipulate data in databases.

That's why you'll frequently see the ampersand "&" rendered as "&bsnp"

The problem will probably clear itself up when discovered but that may take a while as there is NO WAY of reporting bugs on eBay.

If you want to defend against this sort of thing in future, you should give some thought to replacing the inverted commas (") with "in" to denote inches.

As I say, the problem will more than likely resolve itself but there is no guarantee that it won't come back.

Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

The problem is that I have over 320 listings with this potential problem.

I can't even change them because they are within the variation itself and once an item is sold, you cannot amend the variation.

I want to cry.

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

Hi cushions; Yours are showing gobbledygook for inches; So I checked my only listing dne in inches - A building for train trackside layouts listed for my Dad; & that looked fine! Only a new listing though m- on auction. I wonder why yopurs look so strange?

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

gobbledygook & the three bears show for me,too

(I am not included in those three particular bears)

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

@cushioncovers wrote:

The problem is that I have over 320 listings with this potential problem.

I can't even change them because they are within the variation itself and once an item is sold, you cannot amend the variation.

I want to cry.

Don't cry cushions.....most reasonable buyers will understand it it not your fault. 

As a fairly prolific buyer I have seen a lot worse problems than yours.....I just shrug my shoulders and snort at ebay.  It would not really bother me at all.

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

I checked here using both Chrome and Firefox and both are displaying everything correctly.

This looks like the HTML code for when special characters are added on. The """ bit is the decimal HTML code for ".

Another way to add in this " symbol is to say """

So its a bug in the HTML coding for the page not doing the right thing.

I understand you have likely got hundreds of listings with this problem but I would be getting rid of the little " symbol for inches and pick "in" or something like this. It really is a wasted character in the Title space because would any buyer use that specail character in the search criteria. I would think they are more likely to use "in" or "inch" or similar.

Also in the variation tag I'd be using "in" as well, which will clear the problem you are seeing.

Nice cushion covers by the way.

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply