Feedback follow-up

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Buyers are supposed to have anonymity aren't they?

I have noticed a lot of sellers (and large ones at that) leaving

follow-up replies to negative/neutral feedback naming the disgruntled buyers,

for all to see.

And I'm talking Aussie sellers, not the million and one chinese sellers.

I think it's poor public relations myself,  in that it reflects badly on

your ability to deal with the situation.

So, is this allowed?  Or are they bending the rules do you think?

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
10 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Feedback follow-up

No rules to say you can't address the buyer by name in feedback

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

Feedback follow-up

Oh my! What a can of worms you have opened here.

I think you will find that only those 'troubled' buyers who have left lots and lots of negative feedback, are the ones being named in follow-up.
It's a way of letting other sellers know of the problem.  

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

Feedback follow-up

those sellers are fairly cheesed off by the new ebay policy removing the names in feedback, which is a fairly new thing.   Before that, you could see the buyer's id and therefore make an informed decision about whether you want to sell to them or not.

If sellers choose to leave it in their comment, I am going to keep my head down and mind my own business.    I personally think it's great, lots of sellers get really undeserved negatives and neutrals from numpty buyers - "didn't like the story, so I'm leaving you a neg" etc, so its good to be able to see such.

Try not to be such a stawka Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

Feedback follow-up

I would imagine Stalka if the buyer reported the feedback it would be removed and the seller given a really special badge...............

images.jpg       

"Start me up I'll never stop......"

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

Feedback follow-up

Some buyers don't want the situation to be dealt with.

Sometimes they just want free stuff or they are in a bad mood & want to be unreasonable.

eBay gives sellers not a lot of real protection from these buyers who are free to go on their merry way anonymously.

If a seller is having problems with a buyer who has a lot of fb from different sellers about INR,refunds,abusive comms etc then it gives a good indication of what they are going to be dealing with.

I'm sure i'm going to get another neg or neut at some point & if the buyer is unfair,unreasonable or has scammed me then i will be answering it with "xxx wants more than they paid for" "xxx has terrible luck with mail going missing" etc.

I love sellers who do that.

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

Feedback follow-up

That thread a couple of weeks ago,where a buyer was leaving many negs 30+ or so for INR,fb about blood stained jeans,damaged clothes etc to get refunds then sold them all on another account.

None of those small sellers (yes she seemed to target them) left any resonse to fb & many other sellers got burned by her.

Why should they have their fb unfairly messed up by a scammer .I wish even one of them had left response to her nasty fb.Her buyer fb is private now,so no-one can see her dealings.

The only buyers who should be worried by this are the ones who do the wrong thing.

The rest of us want to be able to see it so they can be avoided/blocked.

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

Feedback follow-up

Well imastawka highly respected sellers on these boards leave the IDs of buyers in their follow ups so other sellers can benefit from their heads up and add to their BBLs on the chance they may buy from them one day.

Works for me, as I simply do not want to deal with the types of buyers that the follow ups are most usually  left for. 

From this type of information left by sellers trying to look after other sellers, I have added dozens of buyer IDs to my BBL that leave serial negative feedback / have multiple missing parcels / extort for partial refunds on a regular basis etc etc 

Message 11 of 28
Latest reply

Feedback follow-up

It might not help us but it will most certainly help other sellers. One of my buyers likes to gives neg and neuts to most his sellers because australia post doesn't live up to his expectations and takes 3 days to deliver. Unfortunately I didn't leave his name in the reply but it was his feedback that prompted me to start doing it. I will do it now to anyone who leaves a neg for any reason.

Message 12 of 28
Latest reply

Feedback follow-up

@imastawka wrote:

Just to clarify, as harley said, there is (currently) no policy stating a buyer's user ID can not be used in a feedback comment, only that personally identifying details can't be used (real name, address info, email address, phone numbers). 

Message 13 of 28
Latest reply

Feedback follow-up

Hey stawka

I agree with the sellers doing that as well. I am of the opinion that if negative FB is left, the seller has a right to defend.

The fact that eBay saw fit to make buyers completely anonymous caused a lot of discontent, and if faced with an unwarranted or retaliatory negative I would also name said buyer.

By retaliatory I mean the following scenario:

Buyer received faulty  item and requested Partial Refund, seller denied, offering to pay return postage if the item was indeed found to be faulty once received, and to fully refund of course with the cost of return postage included. Buyer would not have been out of pocket at all, however, said buyer, wanted to keep the item and get a bit of Cash Back.

Seller stuck to their guns, buyer backed away, but left negative - On what grounds ??  the seller was following protocol exactly and was willing to reimburse buyer for any costs, they just needed to verify the 'alleged fault' as is their right to do so.

And there are buyers out there who make quite a bit of extra cash with this little game, but now we will never know who they are.

Message 16 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Feedback follow-up

No rules to say you can't address the buyer by name in feedback
Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

Feedback follow-up

Oh my! What a can of worms you have opened here.

I think you will find that only those 'troubled' buyers who have left lots and lots of negative feedback, are the ones being named in follow-up.
It's a way of letting other sellers know of the problem.  

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

Feedback follow-up

those sellers are fairly cheesed off by the new ebay policy removing the names in feedback, which is a fairly new thing.   Before that, you could see the buyer's id and therefore make an informed decision about whether you want to sell to them or not.

If sellers choose to leave it in their comment, I am going to keep my head down and mind my own business.    I personally think it's great, lots of sellers get really undeserved negatives and neutrals from numpty buyers - "didn't like the story, so I'm leaving you a neg" etc, so its good to be able to see such.

Try not to be such a stawka Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

Feedback follow-up

I would imagine Stalka if the buyer reported the feedback it would be removed and the seller given a really special badge...............

images.jpg       

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

Feedback follow-up

Some buyers don't want the situation to be dealt with.

Sometimes they just want free stuff or they are in a bad mood & want to be unreasonable.

eBay gives sellers not a lot of real protection from these buyers who are free to go on their merry way anonymously.

If a seller is having problems with a buyer who has a lot of fb from different sellers about INR,refunds,abusive comms etc then it gives a good indication of what they are going to be dealing with.

I'm sure i'm going to get another neg or neut at some point & if the buyer is unfair,unreasonable or has scammed me then i will be answering it with "xxx wants more than they paid for" "xxx has terrible luck with mail going missing" etc.

I love sellers who do that.

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

Feedback follow-up

@imastawka wrote:

Buyers are supposed to have anonymity aren't they?

I have noticed a lot of sellers (and large ones at that) leaving

follow-up replies to negative/neutral feedback naming the disgruntled buyers,

for all to see.

And I'm talking Aussie sellers, not the million and one chinese sellers.

I think it's poor public relations myself,  in that it reflects badly on

your ability to deal with the situation.

You are kidding aren't you ??

Do you sell ? or just commentate ?  

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

Feedback follow-up

That thread a couple of weeks ago,where a buyer was leaving many negs 30+ or so for INR,fb about blood stained jeans,damaged clothes etc to get refunds then sold them all on another account.

None of those small sellers (yes she seemed to target them) left any resonse to fb & many other sellers got burned by her.

Why should they have their fb unfairly messed up by a scammer .I wish even one of them had left response to her nasty fb.Her buyer fb is private now,so no-one can see her dealings.

The only buyers who should be worried by this are the ones who do the wrong thing.

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

Feedback follow-up

You are kidding aren't you ??

Do you sell ? or just commentate ?  

I sell.    I stumble along and do very well, thanks very much.  

No negs. 1000+ fb

I also don't commentate as much as others.

I personally think it's poor form to name the buyer.  It does the

seller no good to see fb after the buyer pays anyway. Whatcha gunna do?

Tell them you won't sell to them?   By the time you see the fb it's too late

and you'll only give yourself an ulcer worrying about what they're gunna do

to ruin your day.

Maybe I'm lucky with my buyers, they tend to pay immediately, and

like my service.

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

Feedback follow-up

@2011.narelle wrote:

Ok.  Now that's what I needed explaining to me. 

This sort of buyer is alien to me.  So now the follow-up fb makes sense -

sort of - in a way.

I don't have scammers, INR, INAD etc

Guess I live in a bubble.

As you were, then                 giving thumbs up emoticon             I'll go back to commentating.......

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply