GST and the ATO

There is a $75,000 limit for when a seller needs to register for GST with the ATO. Is this $75,000 figure based on the total of the sale price (item + postage + packaging + handling). or can the total sales price by adjusted to only include the item price?

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

GST and the ATO

I dont think so. I do know GST can be a problem, Your postage, Packaging and any other expenses you must hold receipts so when you buy your envelopes, bubblewrap, tape etc make sure you keep your receipt. Now FVF on eBay for item sold including postage they DO NOT include an ABN Number.. so that is a no go.. I have read somewhere when you lodge an item with AP they can supply a recipte but  they do not give a receipt with tracking from C&S for parcel post. So I would be very careful... GST almost cost me my house and assets 5 years ago

Message 2 of 36
Latest reply

GST and the ATO

Thanks. I have read about the GST credit thing and I do keep all receipts for tax anyway. I was just wondering when it comes time to actually register for GST.

With the $75,000 limit. Say when comparing a B&M store and online store with the exact same sales volume (same number of items sold and item price). The online store would need to register for GST earlier because they have more money comming in as a result of needing to post items?

Message 3 of 36
Latest reply

GST and the ATO

The figure of $75,000 is on total turnover which includes sales price, postage costs etc.
Message 4 of 36
Latest reply

GST and the ATO

But You Must Have Receipts eBay Do Not Supply An ABN.

Message 5 of 36
Latest reply

GST and the ATO

@crowsman53 wrote:

But You Must Have Receipts eBay Do Not Supply An ABN.

ebay   dont need to supply an ABN. eBay do NOT issue tax invoices and do not collect GST as they are a Swiss Rgistered company

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 6 of 36
Latest reply

GST and the ATO

is that $75,000 per year or just $75,000 straight up?
Message 7 of 36
Latest reply

GST and the ATO

It is $75000 within any 12 month period.
Message 8 of 36
Latest reply

GST and the ATO

Receipts are nothing to do with turnover. Turnover is income. Receipts are for the expenses you claim against income
Message 9 of 36
Latest reply

GST and the ATO

Your annual turnover includes all ordinary income you earned in the ordinary course of business for the income year. Turnover means your gross income, not your net profit.

ATO

Message 10 of 36
Latest reply