GST on online sales over $20

Why not just get ebay to collect it off the sale of anything sold here in Australia?

ie: you sell items in Australia, you pay Australian taxes - level playing field

Message 1 of 139
Latest reply
138 REPLIES 138

Re: GST on online sales over $20

Yeah, keep it up, laughin' boy.

Pre GST we had to pay 'luxury tax' on feminine products  

I always felt so luxurious every month   

Should be on the essentials list -GST free

But I digress...........................

All on-line o'seas sales will now attract a GST starting in 2017

Message 91 of 139
Latest reply

And with a bit of luck, that'll be the end of eBay. Sounds pretty good to me.
Message 92 of 139
Latest reply

It's really sad that your 'on-line experience'  has not been 'enhanced'

I'm sure ebay will be mourning your loss     sarcastic.gif

I wish you all things good, CQ.      sniffle.gif

Please visit us    crying.gif

Message 93 of 139
Latest reply

To be fair, Ima, my opinion of eBay remains the same as it has for the past 10 years but the sudden and unexpected loss of 2 close family members within the last 6 months is what has really done the damage.

I'll nevertheless continue posting here (if only to annoy davewil from time to time) but I've definitely sold my last item through eBay.
Message 94 of 139
Latest reply

Doubtless

Message 95 of 139
Latest reply

After speaking to an accountant casually I wouldnt stress too much about the ATO coming and knocking the door down of Ebay sellers in Australia. In fact my understanding now with the NEW tax write offs for small businesses being introduced anyone selling $150,000-$200,000 worth of goods would be considered a small fish.

In fact if you did do $150,000 worth of sales you probably wouldnt need to pay a cent in tax anyway with the new $20,000 write off.

I cant see how ANYONE could make much profit that would be taxable on just $150,000 worth of goods obviously depending on your mark up. But once you take into account the cost of the goods then the deductions for postage, envelopes, fuel, phone, internet, home office, pay for hours worked, etc etc AND THEN your $20,000 write off theres nothing left to tax.... so dont stress is my understanding.

And even if the ATO want to collect GST it will NEVER be cost effective and would almost be IMPOSSIBLE to implement. Once they make everyone become a business then there is also write offs and protections associated with running a business at a loss. And if Customs think they are going to hold EVERY item over $20 until duties is paid well then all I can do is laugh because that notion is riduclous.

The new $20,000 write off for business means youd need to be selling the equivalent of a small apartment in Melbourne before youd be paying anything in tax. That new tax write off is a game changer and my understanding is if you only sell as of now $150k worth of stuff the ATO is wasting your time making you collect GST and then there their time just giving it straight back to you after they again WASTE their time processing your tax return to begin with. Double and triple handling at its best.

He said there is sooo much that can be written off that you shouldnt even worry about getting a tax bill until over $150K in sales.

Message 96 of 139
Latest reply

what has this got to do with gst on goods from overseas over $20

also your accountant must be on the same food i give to a chook   gst is on turnover over 75k   not on profit , you still have to fill out a bass and so.

this is nothing to do with income tax after your deductions , also turnover has to be added to your yearly wage like a lot of selleres are working plus selling  online.

Message 97 of 139
Latest reply

@kaos2015 wrote:

After speaking to an accountant casually I wouldnt stress too much about the ATO coming and knocking the door down of Ebay sellers in Australia. In fact my understanding now with the NEW tax write offs for small businesses being introduced anyone selling $150,000-$200,000 worth of goods would be considered a small fish.

In fact if you did do $150,000 worth of sales you probably wouldnt need to pay a cent in tax anyway with the new $20,000 write off.

I cant see how ANYONE could make much profit that would be taxable on just $150,000 worth of goods obviously depending on your mark up. But once you take into account the cost of the goods then the deductions for postage, envelopes, fuel, phone, internet, home office, pay for hours worked, etc etc AND THEN your $20,000 write off theres nothing left to tax.... so dont stress is my understanding.

And even if the ATO want to collect GST it will NEVER be cost effective and would almost be IMPOSSIBLE to implement. Once they make everyone become a business then there is also write offs and protections associated with running a business at a loss. And if Customs think they are going to hold EVERY item over $20 until duties is paid well then all I can do is laugh because that notion is riduclous.

The new $20,000 write off for business means youd need to be selling the equivalent of a small apartment in Melbourne before youd be paying anything in tax. That new tax write off is a game changer and my understanding is if you only sell as of now $150k worth of stuff the ATO is wasting your time making you collect GST and then there their time just giving it straight back to you after they again WASTE their time processing your tax return to begin with. Double and triple handling at its best.

He said there is sooo much that can be written off that you shouldnt even worry about getting a tax bill until over $150K in sales.

I'm with Joe. What has this to do with GST?

The tax writeoff is essentially accelerated depreciation on capital outlays, nothing to do with GST, a hit on your tax in future years as the capital cost has already been claimed.

So THIS YEAR. But not subsequent years. You obviously don't run a business.

Which Joe does, as do many of us.

Message 98 of 139
Latest reply

@joethenuts wrote:

lets say i sell cameras i buy myy stock already from overseas and i pay gst   they cost me $500 lets say   [it still going to cost me $500 so i still sell the cameras for bla bla.  now an australian buyer who buys from an overseas seller will have to now pay a gst on top of what they pay now. so the price differece will become 10 % cheaper to buy from an australian seller , [so prob more sales for the aus seller.

Sounds good mate if you work without adding your profit to the price but I do not think you do. So it will be still cheaper to buy directly from overseas to save on your profit 🙂

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 99 of 139
Latest reply

"Due to our small population and geographic isolation we are at a disadvantage in terms of the range of goods available here."

Don't believe everything the government tells you. Living in outer suburban Melbourne, I don't buy into the "small population" or "geographic isolation" nonsense one bit. The era of suburban detached houses, the outback pub and Australia's Own Car being the ultimate freedom machine is long gone. The only sting stuck in the postwar era is the government itself and the public transport system, making sure every single person keeps the car over waiting up to (or over!) an hour for a bus while trains are cancelled left, right and centre, and the current icing on the cake for Melbourne, an upcoming tram strike.

Message 100 of 139
Latest reply