Getting items to eBay authentication centre in Australia

Hi all,

I've been on eBay for close to 20 years but very rarely to sell things, and have only just started selling items that were eligible for authentication.

I recently sold 3 items (Nike sneakers) that were eligible for authentication, and was under the impression that when printing the postage labels, that the labels would have some identifier or some address details on them that would be specific to the authentication centre. However, from what I could see the postage labels only had the buyer's address on them.

In my ignorance, I sent the goods anyway using the postage labels I purchased through eBay as I had assumed the postage label details must be accurate and that the tracking would somehow enable the goods to be directed to the authentication centre.

I'm worried that this might not be the case and that the goods will now be going directly to the buyer's address and will bypass authentication, which isn't good at all. I have no doubt that the goods are authentic, but it is concerning that I have sold goods that are meant to come with an authenticity guarantee and may have potentially missed that part of the eBay process.

I feel like I've messed something up in the listings when it comes to postage options. Is someone able to help me out or provide some advice on what I need to do with existing/future listings to ensure that I can be confident that they will be going to the authentication centre?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

From the link Padi provided 

Items that won't be authenticated

Even if a listing had the eBay Authenticity Guarantee badge, it won't be eligible for the program if:

The buyer's delivery address isn't eligible (outside Australia)

The buyer didn't complete checkout and pay on eBay

The seller offered local pickup.

My interpretation is:

As the items have been sold to overseas buyers, they will not be authenticated by eBay and have been shipped directly to the buyers.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Were all 3 items sold to the same person ?  If not were all the postal addresses the same ?

It would seem that eBay doesn't give you the buyers address, just the authentication centre and they pass on the items after verification. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/selling-tools/ebay-authenticity-guarantee?id=4644&st=3&pos=2&qu...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Hi,

Thanks very much for getting back to me.

I sold two pairs to one buyer (located in Mexico) and a third pair to a buyer located in New Zealand.

Both of the postage labels had addresses located in the buyer's respective countries - unfortunately nothing with an Australian address was present on the labels.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

You will need to go to that link I gave you and scroll to the bottom for the "contact us" option. Do that during business hours and use the "chat" option and ask to speak to a supervisor as soon as you are able.

Using that "chat" option will give you a record of the chat session, keep that as proof of what was said.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

From the link Padi provided 

Items that won't be authenticated

Even if a listing had the eBay Authenticity Guarantee badge, it won't be eligible for the program if:

The buyer's delivery address isn't eligible (outside Australia)

The buyer didn't complete checkout and pay on eBay

The seller offered local pickup.

My interpretation is:

As the items have been sold to overseas buyers, they will not be authenticated by eBay and have been shipped directly to the buyers.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Thanks Cam, I completely missed that bit. 😉

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

@barra696 wrote:

I sold two pairs to one buyer (located in Mexico) and a third pair to a buyer located in New Zealand.

Besides the issue with authentication, many sellers won't send to any country in South America and certain other locations due to the high incidence of problems. Many items seem to arrive "damaged, broken or defective", if they arrive at all.

If the combined value (including postage) of the items to Mexico was more than $750, did you get tracking with Signature on Delivery as required? Whilst I hope that the transaction goes well, I have a bad feeling that a dispute will be opened in a few weeks time. I could be wrong, but for such high priced items it's a strong possibility.

Personally, I would not have made my shipping international in the case of items needing authentication, and I would strongly recommend you limit the postage to within Australia on the remaining items. I mean - you've got worldwide shipping on some really expensive stuff so you're just opening yourself up to a host of problems from some really dodgy places.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Just to add - did you also take out insurance on these items?

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

etb321
Community Member

Selling expensive items into Mexico. 'Your a braver man than I am Barra696'!

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

As you haven't sold for over a year I really hope to have gone through the Managed Payments ID.  If not you wont see the money.  Did you get your bank acc and personal ID confirmed.  There will be a 30 day hold on your money.

Hope it goes well but I too see problems

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply