'Good til Cancelled' now default

I noticed ebay have slipped another annoying new change in. On the items I listed and relisted tonight, duration was 'Good til Cancelled' by default.

You'll want to watch this if you take advantage of their $1 maximum fees on Sunday offer (or any other offer) since with 'good til cancelled' turned on, it'll just relist every 30 days, regardless of what day of the week it happens to be.

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Ours changed to a default of "Good til Cancelled" when we lost the auto relists.

When we had them back for a day, the default changed back to "30 days".

We haven't noticed any change on our newer non-store accounts.
Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

You lost the auto-relists?  I usually only have this turned on by accident, but as a few of my items usually sneak through and get auto-relisted, I assume I've never lost the option. What exactly did this involve?

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

We assume we sold more in dollars than Ebay's limit for having the auto-relist, whatever that is.

The tick box just disappeared from any listings, and never re-appeared, no matter how we tried to list.

At the same time our default changed to "Good til Cancelled", which we don't use as we like to choose which items to list using our freebies.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

Yes I noticed that to on my new listings and relisted on weekend..I quickly changed it as we get charged every 30 days if its left on.I get sick of Ebay changing my listings.i have
to constantly keep changing things that they alter.
Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

Why does a big company like EBay keep getting more greedy by the minute. They probably make a million dollars a minute on all our hard work. Now all my listings are good till cancelled just so they can make another $1.65 each month.

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

Everybody has now lost auto-relist in BINs. It's a this week thing, as opposed to last year, like this thread.

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

I just noticed the same. Not great for me as my items are low value... I don't want to have the auto-renew every 30 days and charge me. Nasty sneaky way to get more fees. Not impressed!

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

I knew things had been going alright for too long, and was waiting for the other shoe to drop...

On all my finished, unsold items, waiting for relist:

"Only Good 'Til Cancelled duration is supported for fixed price listings. The listing duration has been set to Good 'Til Cancelled."

If I try to list something from scratch, same deal. Until today this had only been the case with items if I listed them from the Ipad app. If I just saved that as a template I could finish it on the PC, changing it to 30 Days. That workaround is dead now.

So there are two obvious consequences for my 'workflow'.

Firstly I've been making sure all my items which are over $10 (and I might be talking about several thousand dollars sometimes) relist on weekends amd so attract the $1 maximum fee (this has been going on for sucha  long time. I was wondering if it  would eventually come crashing down, but I didn't expect it to happen this way)

Secondly, because of the Sunday deal, I sometimes don't exceed my 40 free items per month listed. Now everything is just going to relist on any arbitrary day of the week automatically, so I'll be getting insertion fees I wasn't getting before, on top of the huge difference in final value fees.

If they were starting to realise the Weekend thing was eating into their profits, why not just cancel it, rather than introducing yet another layer of auomatic **bleep** that you can't opt out of?

I haven't had long to digest this yet, but the only solution that springs to mind so far is to manually monitor my auctions every single day, and end them all at the last moment, before they have a chance to automatically re-list, then relist them all on Saturday or Sunday.  Something tells me this behaviour would attract some sort of negative consequences.

The only other option would be to work out in advance which days to list on, such that the 30 days expires on a Saturday or Sunday. But besides being ridiculous  that would still only work for the first relist, then you'd be back to cancelling them at the last minute again.

Which of course is when many people finally decide to buy.

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

While the $1 weekends remain, each Saturday I will see which BIN listings are ending within 8 days. I will end those listings and relist them using the promo. The next weekend, I'll do the same thing. We all know the $1 weekend promo won't last, but until then, that's my plan. Once the promo ends, then I'll list everything as auctions with the 8 auto relists. I couldn't tell you the last time I used any of my 40 freebies. 

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply