Guest accounts

Why do people open guest accounts?

I understand there are some scammers out there, but I generally can't figure out what the point is.

In the last few weeks I have had 3-4 buyers buying under guest accounts. They all pay straight away and everything is fine, but I was just curious as to why not just join Ebay properly and finished?

I will admit that, although I do not generally offer tracking if people only buy 1-2 cushion covers, I do it regardless of the quantity when I see someone buying off a guest account.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Guest accounts

Actually someone who has a guest account is not covered by ebay's MBG. Unless they later register that account. They still have paypal protection though.
Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Guest accounts

Some just want to buy one thing off eBay and not have an account.

I think that's the market guest accounts were available for.

image host
Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Guest accounts

We find that on our website 90% of our buyers do not register and operate as a guest.

Even when they return they still do the same.

So we never let it bother us really.

As was said above they are not covered by the ebay MBG, but if they pay with PayPal then that covers them even thos they bought as a guest.

We had a buyer just last week bought 4x items, each one in a separate transaction and each one with a different guest account ID.

The only thing that was the same was the postal address in each case.

Since we use large letter, and therefore have no seller protection, we just combined them altogether for postage.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Guest accounts

Guest accounts can't buy from me because of the buyer requirement blocks. I've seen then try to buy in the activity log but they can't. One person tried 13 times. I assumed it was the same person, even though the names were all different. They were just jumbled letters and numbers and all hitting on the same item.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Guest accounts

Tippy, which block requirement have you got that stops the guest buyers?

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Guest accounts

At a guess I would say it would be low feedback buyers who are not phone verified.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Guest accounts

Guest accounts

I have that requirement in place and the guest buyers can still buy.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Guest accounts

I have that requirement as well but a doozy got through the other week, has 3 feedbacks. So guest accounts can be phone verified for sure, ebay T&S told me.

So they email me on my personal email they took from paypal, could they please return the dress it's gorgeous but just doesn't fit right.  Sure I say, go through ebay and hit the return button, selecting Doesn't fit. Oh no I can't, I used guest checkout.  I said no, thinking what a hassle it was going to be to get my fees back if she did it outside of ebay (if I can at all?), so I wanted to push her to use the ebay system. 

It turns out guests can use the MBG system if they request an activation code or something and then go back into ebay.  I didn't really understand what the rep meant.  But it is possible.  I don't understand either why they can't leave feedback but can have feedback left for them, but that was a bonus too.

Anyways, she opened a INAD case with paypal and immediately escalated.  I sent a copy of our email exchange, and she lost.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply