HOW DO I GET A VIABLE LEVEL OF SALES ON EBAY

Hi Everyone,

I am very concerned at how poorly my ebay sales are performing ... I must be doing something wrong!

My Customers are largely happy and I have 100% Feedback (680 Positives).

I principally sell top of the range branded stationery products and my total stock of about 1650 listings that I offer on ebay is worth about $400K at usual retail prices.

Mainly I match Office Works pricing, and I am currently offering 50% off that "usual retail price", with the support of my suppliers for a few months.

For past retail experience, this level of stock at usual retail prices would result in sales of about $5K per day, but at 1/2 price those sales would more than double.

On ebay I am only selling a fraction of that ... like 2 to 3% of the above typical retail store sales. 

I am terrified as to what my sales will drop to when my suppliers promotional support pakages end and my prices have to go closer to usual retail prices. Given that my overheads are kept to an absolute minimum, I will still be able to disount my Office Works based pricing by say 20% but it seems to me that ebayers expect a lot cheaper than that and I will need to increase my sales at least 5 fold over what they are at 50% off !

My listings are NOT split in product groupings and that might have a bearing, but most of my customers inform me that they know what they are looking for and just type it into the ebay search engine anyway ... I do have multiple item sales so that seems to not be too much of an issue and it would take days to spilt everything into separate product categories.

Your similar experiences and any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated. 

Thank you.

Message 1 of 77
Latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

There are several threads here on the boards describing how eBay sales have died.

But definitely having products in categories within your store helps.

If I am buying something from you and I want to see if you have something else I might be looking for, I am not going to look through thousands of listings.

But I will look through your category list to see if there is something else of interest and that will often remind me of other things I need.

Also many of your product descriptions don't look professional, doesn't give me confidence, especially if I am ordering for my boss at a large firm.

image host
Message 2 of 77
Latest reply

The images are also a tad blurry or is it just my eyes Woman Surprised

Message 3 of 77
Latest reply

I thought this thread looked familiar.....have you changed anything since the advice you got here?

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/HELP-HELP-HELP-WHY-ARE-MY-SALES-ON-EBAY-ALMOST-ZERO/td-p/192...

Message 4 of 77
Latest reply

probably only answer is to move to china, they seem to have worked ebay out.

Message 5 of 77
Latest reply

Hello,

Yes, I have added more than a thousand listings and use manufacturers / distributors photos where they are available. Also my pricing is sharper (let alone the 50% OFF sale).

Message 6 of 77
Latest reply

but you haven't categorized...everything is STILL in 'other'
Message 7 of 77
Latest reply

You're right dids, they look like they are 3rd or 4th generation photos.

image host
Message 8 of 77
Latest reply

A picture tells a thousand words and those pictures tell me nothing.

You need to take your own photos and don't rely on the manufacturers pictures as they are not good enough.

Message 9 of 77
Latest reply

as***f
Community Member

One thing that turns me off immediately when buying is 'contact seller for cost of shipping'.  You need to be more specific if you want to be competitive.  Australia Post has to be one of the most expensive postal entities around so maybe don't discount so much and offer FREE SHIPPING on smaller, lightweight items. That always gets attention.

Message 10 of 77
Latest reply