Has a scammer bought my item?

twopuk
Community Member

Hello all. Yestersay, I put a smart phone up for sale and within 6 minutes someone bought it. The person who bought the item sent me an email stating I needed to contact him with the email address he provided. I contacted him with the email address he provided, and I got the following reply from him

I apologize for not contacting you immediately i won your auction item on eBay. I am very happy about the purchase . My daughter had to log on to my eBay account to view the purchase, she was also happy with it. But eBay had thought it was a third party due to their over zealousness. they decided to protect us both.

The issues with my account have now been resolved and confirmed by eBay.

I precisely purchased the item on behalf of a folk of mine in Nigeria who has been transferred to serve as a missionary to Nigeria.I will be leaving for New Zealand  for a program I'm seeking your help in getting the item posted to him in Nigeria.

I have sorted out the postage costs on the Australia post website and i will be adding it accordingly to the costs of the item and i want the posted via Express Courier International Post.

I will pay immediately.

In the original email he sent me, he said I needed to ship the item to a completely different address that is stated above. Also after sending a email to his email address. I've been getting fake emails from paypal and ebay.

Is the buy legit?

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Nigeria = always a scam

Do not have anything to do with them.  Change all your passwords.  report the ID to ebay as a Nigerian scam.

Somebody will be here soon to give more advice.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

scam for sure. Nigeria, bought for cousin, brother, mother. sister, can't complete transaction through ebay, fortune Jimmy. All the signs of a scam.

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

before re-listing you need to set up some functions:

1- go to your My eBay

2- click the ACCOUNT tab

3- select SITE PREFERENCES

4- BUYER REQUIREMENTS, click "show" & then EDIT

tick everything to block bidders who

-Have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 12 Month(s).

-Have 4 Policy Violation report(s) within 6 Month(s).

-Have a feedback score of -1 or lower.

-Haven't gone through phone verification. - Only apply this block to buyers who have a feedback score of 5 or lower.

- Bidders who have a primary postage address in a location I don't post to

Then, when listing an item select 'no international shipping'

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

I wonder if they realise/care that all these scams are doing a dis-service to their race?

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

Just follow the guide lines on this and it will let you block those scammers and get your fees back, 😄

If an ID with good feedback wins your auction then asks you to post to Nigeria,it means the Nigerian Scammer has hijacked another member's account to place bids.

If this happens, you can report it through Account Security Live Help:

http://contact.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ShowCUPortal&guest=1
and / or the webform :

Go to buyer and then report a member,

Account Security > Unauthorised Account Activity > Report another user’s ID as stolen

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/contact_us/_base/index_selection.html

When an account is reported as stolen, eBay generally remove the listing,email you and refund your listing fee although you may need to request a final value fee.

Check your Account > Seller Account ( top of page ) in your My eBay.

If the final value fee has not been refunded ,you can request it through
Live Help General Support:

http://contact.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ShowCUPortal

Go to Buying

Or by email:

Selling and managing your item > Fraud and Transaction Problems >
Getting a final value fee credit when buyer doesn't pay

If a newly registered ( 0 feedback )Nigerian Scammer wins your auction,report it through Live Help:
http://contact.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ShowCUPortal&guest=1

Go to buying.

And / or the webform :

When the member ID is NARU (not a registered user) you can file an Unpaid Item Dispute through your Account > Resolution Centre (top of page) in your my eBay using the reason "buyer is no longer registered".
Your final value fees will be refunded to you immediately.

Put these buyer blocks in place. Go to:

My eBay > Account > Site Preferences > Postage preferences > Show >
Exclude postage locations from your listings from your listings > Edit .......and Select the countries you don’t post to.

Tick … Apply to all current live listings
Click …Apply

And

My eBay > Account > Site Preferences > Buyer Requirements > Show >
Edit .......and tick:

1. Buyers in locations to which I don't post
2. Block buyers who haven't gone through phone verification…
3. Only apply this block to buyers who have a feedback score of 5 or lower(Having a Paypal Account and / or Credit Card details on file overrides this block)

Tick all other blocks of your choice.

Tick …Apply above settings to active and future listings.
Click …Submit

Do not use a BIN (Buy It Now) option when relisting your item.

Beware of spoof/phishing emails you may receive .
Do not open them and do not click on any links.
As a precaution , run all your spyware, keylogging and virus protectionand change your passwords,(something which should be done on a regular basis anyway)

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

twopuk
Community Member

I haven't sold anything on eBay before, usually a buyer, so all this advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

I think i'm going to give up selling the item. Now, I have to close 2 sale actions. What should I do guys?

One way to avoid this issue is to accept PayPal only and set up the listing so that immediate payment is required. That way, the item isn't sold at all unless and until it actually gets paid for.

It can still be subject to scams, but if you send the item fully registered and insured, you should be able to protect yourself from them.

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

I think its your low raiting that attracts them, atleast that is what has been said plenty of times by sellers.

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

Maybe list as auction - scammers don't usually want to stick around, and follow the advice given to put blocks in place.

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 10 of 25
Latest reply