Have I misunderstood this? Feeling stupid

au.j001
Community Member

I thought 3 out of 5 stars was universally acknowledged as satisfactory (or average)? 

I also thought Neutral meant 'neither good or bad'

It's just confusing to me, as I notice eBay is going to count them both as defects 

Is eBay allowed to change the meaning of the English language? I thought it would be considered misleading?

Or is the term 'neutral' going to be changed to 'slightly negative' or something.  

Is eBay going to educate the buyer to understand that eBay rates things differently to the rest of the world?

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Have I misunderstood this? Feeling stupid

Its the word "defect", thats insulting. Too many 3's and you get rated as standard, which I guess is fair in theory. Its just where they have set the benchmark that is unrealistic.

At least they should prompt buyers with an "are you sure?" question before confirming the rating.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Re: Have I misunderstood this? Feeling stupid

Yes, I agree; the wording is insulting.  I guess I'm just worried, as buyers will not understand you can be demoted just because the colour wasn't what they expected .. or it didn't fit .. or whatever.  Some things they may mark you 3 stars for, despite the fact your description was completely accurate and detailed.   

Neutral being counted towards the defect rate upsets me more.  I have had people leave neutrals with positive comments - yet ebay will not remove these, I know as I've tried.   

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply