Have been charged fees even on Gumtree zero fees promo

twid63
Community Member

I sold two of my items using Gumtree promo (max 2 items a month) where I get zero eBay fees. 

This is the first time i've received payment via Managed Payments and not Paypal and discovered that I'd been charged full-blown fees for both items. 

I contacted eBay chat and they assured me that i would be credited the fees in about 15 days from the sold dates. I gathered I would be reimbursed by a separate entity like Gumtree and not eBay.

Does this ring true to other people? Have others been through this process?

Any info would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Have been charged fees even on Gumtree zero fees promo

Yep, everything worked fine before the awful managed payments was forced on us.

Message 11 of 36
Latest reply

bmanly3
Community Member

Hello, can you give us a follow up? Did you end up getting your FVF back in the end?

I utilised this exact facility twice and got charged fees. One of them I listed in June on the free bee cross list and it sold in July and fees were charged. On the same day I contacted ebay chat and they assured me that in 15 to 20 days I will get it refunded. On about the 22nd. business day still no refund so back on chat again. They assure me it will be refunded but it's been 6 weeks since the sale date and 2 Months since listing date and still nothing.

What is going on and what were users previous outcomes? Thanks. 

Message 12 of 36
Latest reply

Ebay owns Gumtree.... sigh...

Message 13 of 36
Latest reply

No ebay doesn't own Gumtree anymore, it was sold last year.

Link here: https://insideretail.com.au/news/ebay-sells-gumtree-as-part-of-us9bn-classifieds-deal-202007

Message 14 of 36
Latest reply

Did you end up getting your fees refunded ?

Message 15 of 36
Latest reply

Ebays Gumtree Promotion is a Scam I feel

We are having the same problem Gumtree Promo listing listed on the 1st of August item was Sold on the 14th of August - was told it will take 15 days to receive the Fee Refund as of today we havenโ€™t been refunded - phone calls made and emails sent - eBay now wonโ€™t respond to my replies - What do we do now - 

Message 16 of 36
Latest reply

@alibru_enterprises wrote:

Ebays Gumtree Promotion is a Scam I feel

I don't think it is a scam, it's IT problems I think and doesn't transfer over correctly.

On my first one I got the fees back. It took 2 x chats and 6 weeks. I am on my second one now and it has taken 5 weeks and 2 x chats so far. It does get refunded but you need to chase it and it takes time.

I screenshot everything and click through as they ask you to do it, so if needed I have all the evidence. It hasn't got that far yet. Good luck.

Message 17 of 36
Latest reply

bmanly3
Community Member

UPDATE: My second Gumtree ebay promotion of no final fees for a maximum 2 items per Month has just been refunded. It took 7 weeks and 3 lengthy chats.

My suggestion is to screenshot everything you do (as back up but it was not used). Then on the day of sale and charge contact chat and let them know. They will tell you to wait 15 to 20 business days and it will be refunded. It didn't happen for me so on the 21st business day I contact chat again telling them of the problem. They then escalate this. After another 2 weeks if it isn't refunded do a 3rd chat again, this time they say it is highlighted. Then at exactly 7 weeks the refund dropped into my account.

I'm not sure if the glitch has been fixed but I can confirm that this months Gumtree ebay freebee  went through without a hitch.

Here's a tip, if you have a difficult item to move, this might be a handy way way to move it. i. e. The money you save on fees can be used to drop the price of the item and therefore make it more appealing/easier to sell. ebay has honoured the refunds, it just takes time if it's not immediate. Good luck to all, cheers.

Message 18 of 36
Latest reply

We have just had our refund done for the August sale, delay was 3 weeks past their advertised 15 day refund time

Message 19 of 36
Latest reply

Geez dude, putting your phone number in your ads is asking for trouble. One, you will probably be spammed to the hilt. Two, it's a violation of ebay policies and you could well see yourself shut down for trying to trade off ebay. They really don't like it. I'm surprised no one has reported you.

Message 20 of 36
Latest reply